“A great hotel and warm reception”

Best Western Burn Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Huby
“A great hotel and warm reception”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel for the Tour de France and the staff could not have been more helpful. They even had the Stage details printed and could add local knowledge to it. The location is lovely as are the gardens. We would highly recommend this hotel. The room was clean and had everything we needed, staff were friendly and food was good.

4 Thank ClarityVirtual

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

My friend got a voucher for afternoon tea for 2 people. When we arrived we were directed through the the bar to a young man who then directed us back to another man in the restaurant (who wasn't there). The lady on reception came up to us and couldn't understand why we had been sent to the restaurant. The 'restaurant man' then turned up and directed us...back to the bar. To be honest me and my friend just found the whole thing really amusing and it gave us a few giggles. As did the no spoons with our cup of tea (I had to ask, didn't fancy stirring with my finger). The actual afternoon tea was average and there was no clotted cream with it which me and friend think is surely a key feature of afternoon tea. Nevertheless we struggled through it ;-) the glass of fizz we got however was very nice. I won't be rushing back but it did give us some giggles.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank planetred10
Okehampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2014

My husband and I were booked here with a coach company and we were a bit apprehensive after reading a very damming report on the hotel, but oh how wrong that report was, the hotel was very clean, the staff very friendly and the food was delicious, the menu was very extensive and always had a vegetarian option, the drinks from the bar were no dearer than any other hotel, there was a lovely garden to sit in while having an evening drink and the hotel is in a lovely quiet area, but not too far from the main road, our room was very clean and the bed was very comfortable, I would most definitely recommend this hotel and it is also not very far from the historic town of York.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Maureen H
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I read the reviews regarding others who stayed prior to our coach trip and was slightly concerned about the negative comments that had been posted during May and June. I needn’t have been worried, there were no foul smells coming from the surrounding land, and on two nights slept with the window open, the evening meals were good, (choice of 3 starters, 3 mains and 3 desserts) and some were retro i.e. Sole Veronique (main)and Waldoff salad (starter), portions were fine, hot food came out on hot plates , the waitresses were friendly and efficient and senior Restaurant staff pitched in too, to ensure all 45 of us weren’t kept waiting too long to be served. Plenty of choice at breakfast which was on a self service basis, with tea/coffee being brought to the table. The room was comfortable and well maintained, for once it was a delight to have a central positioned ceiling light, something lacking in more modern hotels. An earlier comment was posted regarding the Wi-Fi being really slow, yes there was the odd occasion when it was, otherwise we didn’t experience any more difficulty than we’ve experienced in other hotels offering free Wi-Fi. We ordered a morning paper and it was delivered to our room around 8 – 8.15am, so the person who reported not getting theirs much before noon was exaggerating!
I have been doing coach trips since 2002 and as a seasoned traveller I have an idea of what to expect, Bar prices were reasonable and on a par with other hotels we’ve stayed in, hotels are always more expensive than pubs and clubs!

5 Thank bryantyh
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I stayed here for a weekend with a group of people from Solos for single people, because we were a group we had to choose our meals in advance from a very basic menu; the food was horrible, the chicken look like something the cat had brought up and the beef was very stringy, I went hungry the whole time I was there, not recommended.
Also too far out of York.

2 Thank lynda w
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2014

A beautiful hotel in alovely setting.Wonderfully clean room as was the whole hotel,all the staff were very helpful and when it came to mealtime the food was delicious.This was our first visit but definitely not the last.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stanleys66
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Before I go on to give my feedback I welcome the Manager to contact me via this site or provide a means to contact him should he wish to discuss any of the points raised herein.

Upon arrival I was welcomed and checked in politely - no problems at all.
I had booked and paid for an Executive room. We entered the allocated room looking forward to a rest after a long day at the coast. However upon sitting on the bed it was apparent that the bed base was broken and was not going to give a condusive nights sleep. I immediately went back to reception to explain and get another room. It was at this point that I was advised that there were no other Executive rooms available and I was offered a downgrade to an available Standard room. I asked if I could be upgraded to another room if no Executive rooms were available but the hotel was apparently full, so having no choice at this late stage I had to take the Standard room offered.

I asked about possibly having complimentary dinner as recompense for the difference in cost for the room upgrades? I was informed we could have the cost taken off the final bill, so I asked that they just refund the difference instead. In the meantime I asked for two wine glasses and a wine cooler/ice bucket be sent to the room. The glasses eventually came but I was advised the wine coolers were in the restaurant? So I still don't know why I wasn't provided with one as the restaurant was not busy?

So, not a great start as we drank our luke warm wine in our 'Standard' room with the dust and cobwebs around the curtains but alas we tried to make the most of it.

I had booked through Superbreak as they have an exclusive offer with the hotel allowing a 'lazy Sunday check out' until 2pm! Brilliant!
However, at 11.15am I was called by Lucy at the reception to enquire what time I would be checking-out? I advised that I was checking-out at 2pm as my paperwork advised. To which I was told that she had no idea of this offer and that I would have to pay £10 to keep the room until 12pm as per the hotel's policy. Again, I explained that this was not the case and she should contact Superbreak to gain clarification. Lucy advised she would do this but would check to see if anyone was due to be in the room imminently?

Unenthused by my experiences so far I decided to call Superbreak myself to get them to call the hotel and clarify the situation. Superbreak were brilliant and I received a call back from them within 10 minutes to advise that the hotel would honour the offer and I could indeed keep my room until 2pm. How nice of the hotel to honour what it offers?!

At no point did the receptionist call me back to apologise for effectively threatening to chuck me and my partner out of the room or to explain that there had been a mix up and that they should have a better grasp of the offers that they extend to third parties! It was just plain rude and bad customer service. Why was I having to sort this out on a Sunday morning when I should be relaxing & enjoying my stay?

Upon check-out the receptionist was apologetic, but too little too late! She explained that they had no idea of the offer and that no-one had 'said anything before'? Incredulous!

Superbreak advised that the offers come from the hotel themselves and it is not something they negotiate, so I am aghast that the hotel does not make sure that these things are communicated to their staff so they don't terrorize their guests.

To compound issues I spoke to Superbreak on the Monday once back at work to see if the hotel had issued an amended invoice to them for the upgrade difference - guess what? They hadn't and Superbreak had to call the hotel again to get this rectified.

So dispite the best efforts of the hotel to try to ruin the weekend we still managed to have a good time in Yorkshire. I will also mention that I am a Travel Agent and I will NOT be recommending people to stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Book a Premier Inn or Wetherspoons Hotel instead!