“lovely, clean hotel”

Best Western Burn Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Huby
Reviewed 26 April 2010

Just got back yesterday after a lovely stay at this hotel, yes it is a fair way from york city centre, but very relaxing. The room was spotless and the bed sooo comfortable, plenty of choice at breakfast all in all a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Best Western Burn Hall Hotel

Reviewed 18 April 2010

I stayed here for one night after having my flight to Venice cancelled from Leeds due to volcanic ash troubles.
Overall, I must say that a certain things let me down about Burn Hall. It is located 20 minutes from York city centre and basically in the middle of nowhere, so guests should definitely have a car when staying. I booked a Double room on a Bed and Breakfast rate which was only £50 so a lot cheaper than other 'halls' in York. The room was very basic and travelodge-style, the bathroom was a lot nicer though and the room had tea and coffee facilities and lots of TV 'freeview' channels so it wasn't so bad. The hotel itself definitely has potential to improve, for example, the 'green' area in which the hotel resides could be made up in to nice grounds for the place- the 'garden' consists of one lawn with 2 chairs and some outdoor picnic tables. I feel that there was no hotel facilities and maybe building a pool or spa would benefit the hall - perhaps this is because the Hall is used mainly for conferences although there was a wedding occuring at the same time.
The restaurant food was lovely. It is £19.50 for a 3 course meal each course has 3 options, the food was very tasty and the service very good. (Not intending to be nitpicky but the atmosphere in the restaurant was lacking, in such a nice room tidyness was not a priority with chairs stacked allover the place as well as crochery, highchairs, tables and piles of mess everywhere which I'm guessing had been left over from the previous wedding. Also the radio was playing loudly which I'm sure is not what people want to be listening to whilst eating an a la carte dinner.) The majority of the staff were friendly although most made it extremely evident that they didn't want to be there - one even threw a hissy fit when we had problems with our restaurant bill - leaving me feeling slightly uncomfortable! Additionally, I had requested a room with a nice view of the garden and received a room looking on to an ugly building sight! - The hotel wasn't even full either!
Overall, for the price I paid for this hotel I would probably consider staying here again the next time I visit York, although I do believe that the hotel is not matching up to its potential.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 April 2010

Just arrived home from a weekend stay at this hotel and visit to York.The room we had was spotlessly clean and lovely and warm when we arrived after a long day in York.We ate in "Richardsons" restuarant and had a really nice 3 course meal. Staff friendly and helpful.Around 6 miles out of York-we used the park and ride which cost £2.30 each and was very hassle free! I would definatly return to this hotel and advise to check out special offers ( we paid £99 for b&b and 3 course meal with a bottle of wine- FOR 2 OF US!!!!).

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 February 2010

great location to visit york staff were very helpfull food not bad lets face it, its not a 5star hotel you pay for what you get but we would defo go back get yaself there!!!!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 January 2010

I stayed here while on business in York one Saturday night. The location is beautiful - a few miles outside York, so anyone visiting the city will need a car and to have researched parking in York, which can be a bit tricky. I got a decent online rate for the hotel, which is clean and attractive. The rooms are pretty basic but clean and functional. What let the hotel down a bit was the service, especially regarding food - I was working until 10pm, so needed a late meal. Not only could they not provide one, but when I arrived back at the hotel and went for a drink I was told that there was no food at all available - not even a packet of crisps or peanuts, vending machine, anything. That's a pretty major oversight considering it's several miles from the nearest shop, and one that wouldn't take much correcting; but the fact that it's a problem in the first place doesn't really fill me with confidence about the way the hotel is being run. I'd think twice before going back.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 November 2009

Stayed here with a friend for a budget weekend so guess I can't complain too much! The staff were very pleasant I have to say. The evening meal however was not up to scratch. We ate in the hotel on the first night and we coiuld have been eating anything! Again as this was free, I feel a bit ungracious moaning. But it was really tasteless. Breakfast was good though and plenty to stock up on. We decided not to bother with the evening meal on the second night, and decided to have a drive into the local village where we found the best chip shop ever! Was cheaper than the hotel and a good deal cheaper than taxis in to York!!! I wouldn't go again.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 November 2009

Stayed for one night at the hotel with my mum. We were visiting the local area and the hotel was conveniently located. Chose this hotel over a local B & B as I liked the idea of staying in the local Hall but was disappointed with this. The grounds were extensive and well kept, beautiful in fact but the accommodation was an annexe to the rear of the old building which looked like student accommodation, very modern basic with no character at all. The corridors also felt like student lodgings. The rooms were very basic and as previously stated reminded me of what I have seen of Travel Lodge.

Don't get me wrong, the staff were very friendly, helpful, the rooms were very clean with facilities you would require but this hotel is sold and advertised as the local Hall with all the history and all we saw was a new building extension and modern conservatory. Taking this into account I just felt the price paid was not justified.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huby
Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel
Holiday Inn Express York
Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel
Best Western York Pavilion Hotel
The Talbot Hotel Malton
The Black Swan Hotel
The Black Swan Hotel
#2 of 4 in Helmsley

Been to Best Western Burn Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!