“weekend away”
Review of The Red Lion

The Red Lion
Ranked #8 of 18 Market Rasen B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed here for two nights and really enjoyed it. The staff were really friendly, the room was very clean and the food was excellent, we had the full English and it was really filling, we will definitely be going back again and would recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 January 2014

A colleague and I stayed at The Red Lion for one night as part of a business trip and I have to say, we were thoroughly impressed.
The service was fantastic, the rooms were very well presented and the breakfast was superb.
I have already recommended this hotel to my friends and colleagues and will continue to do so.

Keep up the good work!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Emma W
Reviewed 26 December 2013

as the title suggests, this restaurant is in need of some attention. I don't know the M,O of the restaurant, if they are looking to please the high numbers of local families with young children, then this restaurant probably delivers. If they are looking to impress an audience of people from beyond the towns boundary, then they are missing the mark indeed. It offers a simple menu, (several items not available during our visit,) set in a potentially nice setting. The cafe style table numbers need to go, if your service staff cant remember the table numbers, you've already got a problem. The concept is that you arrive, order a drink from the bar and wait to be seated. On our visit the holding area was full so we made our own way through to the table, something which didnt go down very well with the hostess, I think she felt that she had missed out on an important part of our 'experience.' To me, being guided 10feet from a bar to a table is outdated and unnecessary in a pub environment. We were issued with the large menu cards and given time to place an order, 'no seafood tonight, chef forgot to take them out.' Promising ;0). I saw a neighbour table order a deli board style platter, this arrived in the form or a balancing act as the board itself sat on top of two tins of chopped tomatoes, something which I have seen done before in J.Oliver restaurants with great effect, however in this settings it looked poor. The menu was sparce so we proceeded straight to mains, 1* burger, 2*chicken, 1* arrabiata. The chicken was dry, the arrabiata was without taste and the burger was stone cold. My 'outlaws' stayed strong and pushed through their chicken, being from an era that feel embarrassed at 'causing a scene,' whilst my partner ordered a re-fire on her burger as I elected to leave the pasta, not ordering a replacement dish.

From start to finish this restaurant was not very good, certainly work needs to be done. Had it been myself and partner alone, we wouldnt have made it to the table to sit in the first place, we would have simply gone elsewhere, however because of our company, and it being a saturday night, we obviously stayed.

In my opinion, If you're looking for good quality food, this at the moment is not the place, every element of our visit was poor. We left feeling hungry and annoyed.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank skiskatesurf1
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We stayed here last Friday night as we were visiting Lincoln Xmas market - the place was great.
We checked in with no fuss and the room was lovely, clean and nice bathroom - shampoo and soap was provided.
We then set off to the market - on return we went into the bar - this has recently been transformed into an Italian Restaurant - we ordered a couple of beers - nicely priced I might add, whilst we were sat enjoying our drinks - the food from the kitchen look gorgeous, we ent ahead and ordered a pizza and some deserts as we had eaten at the market - well the pizza was the best ever and the deserts were delicious too.
If you are thinking of staying here or simply going for a meal - book it - you wont be dissapointed.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed as had eaten there several times and found to be good with nice decor and ambience. Room appeared tasteful with good fixtures and fittings but closer inspection revealed lack of attention to day to maintenance- dirty toilet and bathroom. Dust everywhere. No soap provided to even wash hands. No mattress protector. Powdered milk in uncovered cup for tea and coffee. Carpet appeared to not have not been vacuumed. Complained and offered to take some money off. However got impression that we were thought to be unjustified in our complaint-told other people had 'lovely time'. I am well travelled and do not think I have unreasonable expectations.Overall very surprised about poor standard and feel that the red lion has gone down. Will not be returning to eat or otherwise.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Alison D
DarrenLince, Owner at The Red Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2013

Dear Alison,

I have recently taken over the Red Lion and intend to re-open September 2013, and should you stay in Market Rasen again I can confirm that the points that you raised will all be addressed.

Thanks,

Darren

Reviewed 31 August 2012

This was the final meal of our holiday and we wanted it to be a good one. We weren't disappointed! Excellent service from the attentive and friendly staff. The 3 courses from the blackboard selection were great value at £19.95. Having a limited menu of 5 choices for each course made it better, although we both struggled, such were the delightful choices!! My daughter had anti-pasti and I chose the warm chicken salad. Our mains were the pork fillet and the duck breast in cherry and red wine jus. We both opted for cheese at the dessert stage. I had a glass of the house rose that was perfectly acceptable. All in all a very pleasurable eating experience with excellent ambiance for an acceptable cost!!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Highly recommend The Red Lion for accommodation, food and service. The staff were friendly and attentive upon arrival and I was shown to my room which was compact, clean and very tastefully furnished. I had an evening meal which was amazing, food was fresh and cooked to perfection, the waiting staff made you feel welcome and provided excellent service. I was told that the Red Lion had been refurbished recently and I can vouch for its modern yet welcoming feel. I would definitely recommend staying at The Red Lion with the comfortable rooms, excellent food and fantastic staff makes this place is good value for money.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo