“Coniston Gold really is Gold!”

The Coniston Hotel Country Estate & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Coniston Cold
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Last year we had supper at Coniston Hotel, but arrived rather unkempt, after muddy walk. They kindly lent us a room to change, no charge, and were so friendly, the meal was so good, we resolved to return. Have just done so, with cousins, too. Such an incredibly welcoming hotel, everything spotless, superb food, in the most gorgeous setting - looked out over the lake and fields with sheep, idyllic. Could not have enjoyed it more. Dining staff, cleaning staff, Reception, everyone - so polite, so helpful and a joy to talk to...we can't wait to return. The owner, Mr Bannister, was celebrating his 80th, likewise my husband, and we were all (all the guests) treated to a glass of champagne each, before dinner, the proverbial icing on the cake! Even without the champagne, we found it all just perfect.

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking the lake.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,998)

Reviewed 1 November 2013

We had an excellent room overlooking the lake and awoke to sheep on our patio which was lovely. The bed was comfortable but I wouldn't have expected in a luxury room for a double to be two singles pushed together. There was plenty of hot water and the dressing gowns were a nice touch.The room decor was nice if a little dated but I think they are refurbishing the rooms. The breakfast was excellent and there was a really good choice of both cold and hot items. I would only have two niggles. Firstly the towels in the room were thin and some were stained. Secondly, the fridge was really noisy. Overall a lovely stay and a great place to go and explore from.

Room Tip: Choose the luxury rooms as they have an amazing view. In a classic room you want an odd number so yo...
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We checked in on the 17th Oct for a 2 night stay , we stayed in room 65, could not fault it, beautiful and spacious. We didn't have dinner as we ate on the journey up from Leeds. We sat by the roaring fire chatting to the bar man drinking local brew and red wine the first night so relaxed. The next day we attended our friends wedding at the hotel, the most perfect and beautiful wedding I've ever been to, ran so smoothly the staff worked so hard, the meal was beautiful, we relaxed in our luxury room for a while before we re attended the evening do, perfect, then the next day the wedding party all had a hearty Yorkshire fry together to soak up a little of the hangovers, but other options available also, it was also our wedding anniversary so a really good start to our celebration day, highly recommend will be going back as we had an excellent time 10/10

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We have stayed at the Coniston many times over the years usually at least twice a year and its always been great. The food is always good whether you eat in the Huntsman or the restaurant and the staff are all friendly and professional.
Ask for a first floor lake view room and stretch the budget to a superior balcony room.i will never forget our first stay, when we opened the curtains it had snowed and the view over the lake and hillside was unforgettable. We will be back in December.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 October 2013

My new husband and I had the most enjoyable experience at the Coniston hotel this past week. Not only did they host our wedding reception and provide everything we needed in terms of wedding planning, they made us feel at home during the few nights we stayed following the big day. The staff are superb, so friendly and familiarly northern! The food was delicious and each of our guests only had good comments about it. The venue is dreamy for both a wedding and a Dales getaway. We will no doubt be returning for our anniversary and it will always be our first choice of hotel for North Yorkshire.

Room Tip: Balcony view overlooking the lake!
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We have passed this hotel hundreds of times on our way to both the Lake District and the Dales and always thought it looked inviting, so when my Sue ,my other half declared that
"a night away from it all would be nice " I promptly began my research.
You only have to look at the TA reviews to realise that this hotel is something special.
As my football team were playing away at Crawley ( a journey I wasn't going to make ) I obliged Sue and booked the Saturday night through an online booking site.
Seems strange that you can book 1 night through these on line sites when the Hotels own site states that a minimum 2 night stay is required for these dates, never mind 1 night it was.
We only live a good hours drive from the hotel, so, after the short but pleasant journey we arrived at the hotel at 2.30pm.
Being a proud Bradfordian I would like to point out to people that this hotel is actually situated within the boundaries of Bradford, never mind the grim portrayal of the problematic Northern City that TV companies delight in look around you YES it is part of Bradford.
Check in was welcoming, speedy and efficient then it was up to the room dump our bag and down to the bar.
The Huntsman's Lodge is a superb area in which to while away an hour or five sampling the fare on offer which we did.
The feature fireplace is excellent very inviting, and the view from the lounges glass wall as it's called is simply stunning.
The menu for lunch isn't vast ( which is good as my Sue can ponder a 5 item menu for 20 minutes before deciding ), so after a little prompting we opted for a ham sandwich and a
crab & crayfish sandwich which both came with separate relishes and salad,
we shared a bowl of " proper chips ".
After these were polished off Sue declared that the Cream Scones " Looked nice "
so not wanting to be a tight fisted Yorkshireman I ordered 2.
Mistake, these scones came on a wooden platter, but worse than that was the fact that it was a do it yourself job, Hot Scone + Jam + Butter + Clotted Cream + Knife.
Thanks goes to Sue for sparing my blushes and creating The Best Cream scone EVER.
It was now back to the room and a rest from the excellent food and drink ( But not for too long ).
We had booked a luxury double room and WOW what a room it was, the biggest comfiest bed I had ever been in, a sofa bed ( Well Sue says it was a sofa bed, just looked like a big sofa to me ).
A table and 2 more comfy chairs, the usual array of tea and coffee ( although the products were quality brands ).
An absolutely massive bathroom with a walk in shower and a large bath ( into which I dropped my phone whilst checking the football scores - doohhh ).
The room had a small balcony that overlooked a beautiful lake and stunning scenery
( and yep that view is of a part of Bradford ).
So washed and refreshed we returned to The Huntsmans Lodge ( well Sue followed on some 30 minutes or 2 pints later, why can't women get ready quickly ????? ).
We stood out on the terrace with our drinks and watched the last of the days sun disappear, bliss.
It was then back inside, sit by the fire, more beers and 30 minutes of Sue pondering the
Evening meals menu.
To be honest we were both still stuffed from our earlier eating exploits, so decided that we would wait a little longer to order our meal, never mind a couple of more beers followed.
( My team had lost at Crawley so I decided to numb the pain thus ).
We both eventually ordered the Leek and Potato soup which we both thought OK but would have preferred it a little more rustic, ie lumps of Leek and Potato in it rather that just liquid.
I then had Chicken and bacon casserole with proper Chips and Sue had Fishermans Pie which oddly came with a salad.
Both meals were once again excellent.
Finished the night off with a Cognac Coffee and then bed.
What a bed, so so comfy, so so big, it was that big that I could stretch out and not come into contact with Sue, Bliss !!!!!!!!.
Waking up so refreshed and standing on our balcony looking over the stunning lake and beyond
( Bradford don't ya know ) is my one abiding memory I will take with me for a long long time.
Showered and dressed it was down to brekkie.
This once again was first class, you could order either a " Full English " or just the items that wanted.
Got a bit annoyed at people ordering the full English and not eating certain items, Why ?,
perhaps it's something to do with being a Yorkshireman, we don't like waste.
The brekkie was superb and it was all too soon that we had to make our way to reception and check out.
In a nutshell this Hotel is EVERYTHING anyone can want for a short break or even a long one, I know that like Arnie says " We'll be back ".

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the lake, simply stunning
Reviewed 19 October 2013

have stayed at this hotel before and after the extension and it still offers excellent facilities for both business and pleasure. The food and hospitality is as always fabulous. My room had a small terrace that over looked the lake. would recommend.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
#2 of 4 in Settle
The Traddock
The Traddock
#1 of 1 in Austwick

Been to The Coniston Hotel Country Estate & Spa? Share your experiences!