“Peaceful retreat, with fabulous service”

The Coniston Hotel Country Estate & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Coniston Cold
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We booked a late offer one night stay here, and it proved to be a great choice. We had one of the rooms in the main building, so no balcony or lake view (next time) but the room was spacious, modern and very comfortable, with a lovely shower. We had dinner at the hotel, service was a little slow as there was a ball on in the function suite, but we didn't mind this, and the staff couldn't do enough for us. I don't eat dairy, so for dessert, instead of the usual boring fresh fruit salad, I was offered a choice of about 5 dishes, and opted for a delicious meringue with fresh berries. Breakfast choices were excellent. The Huntsman's Bar, which we didn't have time to linger in, has lovely views over the lake, and reception can give you a map of short and longer walks from the hotel. A lovely but all too brief stay.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed in a superb,spacious room (62) with a lovely view on to a lake. The room was spotless and well equipped.The reception staff are efficient and friendly and nothing is too much trouble. We ate in the Huntsman restaurant every night . The views are to die for. The food was excellent and we had prompt service from friendly staff. My one quibble about this restaurant is the seating. Don't get me wrong it looks classy and is comfortable but the chairs are too low for the tables. I needed a cushion to reach the table to eat my meals and I'm 5ft 8"! But that is a minor thing.
Overall it is a great base to tour the Yorkshire Dales. We will definitely come back. We loved it.

Room Tip: Room 62. Luxury room. Upstairs room with lake views overlooking the lake. Quiet
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Hi I work in the 4 star hotel industry so I know when I come across something special.
The Coniston Hotel is set in beautiful grounds. It is definitely worth booking a lake view room. our check in was smooth and efficient. the room (21) was a great room to stay in. I am a Maintenance Manager so I had to give the room the once over. There was a minor issue with the room but it was rectified in minutes of me calling reception. They offered us a complimentary drink which was a nice touch. as my Partner was getting ready I headed to the bar the drinks are fairly priced. I met the Owner of the hotel Mr B He even bought me a drink while we talked about his wonderful hotel. They have a very comfortable smoking area with sky tv.
I headed back to the room to meet my partner to get ready for dinner. when we went to reception we were met by Mr B who offered my partner and I a complimentary drink for her Birthday. A very nice touch.
All the staff are so friendly and helpful and nothing is to much trouble. They all seem to love their job and seemed really genuinely happy to be there.
the lady who served us was brilliant Sorry I cant remember your name but you organised a little cake for my partner for her Birthday . Thank you.
The food was spot on ( though I though my main was a little salty)
the starter Chicken liver par fee with the chutney was exquisite
we were too full to eat deserts
The breakfast was a plated service. looked like we had missed the rush as there were a few tables that had been cleared and not relayed we had no choice of table and it looked a little like we were late. I am not sure if walking through the pass doors to get to the breakfast room is a good Idea. the kitchen seems to be on the other side of the corridor?
Unfortunately we were unable to take part in the activities on offer but speaking to the falconer
We will definitely be booking a trip to the Coniston again .

You will love it here
many thanks hope to see you soon
Mr E

Room Tip: Book a lake view room some of the other rooms over look the car park
3  Thank disownedsoupey
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Perfect setting.
First class staff.
Wonderful atmosphere
Could do with more variety on menu and catch of the day, particularly if one is a regular visitor.

Breakfast menu in Huntsman poor.
A return to the poached salmon salads of yesteryear would be be excellent?

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We had this day as gift for Christmas gave us something to look forward to enjoyed thouroughly We only did falconry rooms do not apply. Everyone most helpfull. We are already booked to come back. You keep sending this review to me and it will not let me send because I had not written enough I shall ring hotel if this one gets sent AGAIN.

Room Tip: Did not use rooms
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My wife and I stayed as we were visiting to take part in a Falconry day in the grounds of the hotel.

What we liked:
- Views - The hotel is set in some beautiful grounds, we enjoyed sitting outside the huntsman's lodge with a cold drink taking in the scenery (it helped that it was a nice weekend).

- Food - The food was exceptional, we stayed for an evening meal on the Saturday and enjoyed breakfast and lunch the following day. Some of the nicest food we've shared together.

- Accommodation - The room was very clean and had all of the amenities we needed.

- Reception Staff - Very welcoming and helpful.

What we feel could be improved:
- Restaurant Organisation - We visited the Huntsman's Lodge for Dinner on Saturday and Lunch on Sunday. On both occasions we found things to be somewhat disorganised. As an example, the sign asking you to wait to be seated... We waited 10 minutes and gave up simply walking in and finding a seat, we they had to approach the bar to find we were sitting in the wrong area and had to move, our food order was scribbled on the side of a seating chart and we were never offered additional drinks as the courses came out etc. This was repeated on the Sunday when they struggled to find a table for the 3 of us attending the Falconry day despite being booked in, we were asked to squeeze onto a small 2 seater table and looking quite put out when we explained that wouldn't work for us.

Overall, I'm nit picking - We had a very positive experience at the hotel and look forward to returning and taking part in some of the other activities available. I think if they can resolve the organisation issues in the restaurant, it would have topped the weekend off perfectly.

Great venue.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the rear of the property have a lovely view.
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 2 June 2014

The Huntsmans lounge/restaurant in The Coniston Hotel has welcoming staff, excellent food & a relaxing atmosphere. I have eaten here on many occasions & have always had a great experience. I cannot find fault - thank you!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
#2 of 4 in Settle
The Traddock
The Traddock
#1 of 1 in Austwick

Been to The Coniston Hotel Country Estate & Spa? Share your experiences!