“Dreary looking, but ....”

Ganton Greyhound Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Ganton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 November 2013

This was a one night stopover whilst walking the Wolds Way. On a dull autumn evening the place looks rather dreary, and since the premises don't open until 6pm, calling reception over a remote speaker seems a little off-putting and cold. However, our rooms were larger than usual if somewhat utilitarian, and well equipped and comfortable d spite the noise from the busy main road outside. The highiight of this stopover was the restaurant which served and excellent dinner and drinks.

There are not to many options on this part of the Wolds Way, so this can be recommended as a stopover in the absence of competition - but even if you stay elsewhere, the restaurant is worth a visit.

Room Tip: stay away from the road
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 22 October 2013

I booked to stay here with a friend whilst walking the Wolds Way along with my dog, as it happened it was just me and my dog who was allowed in the room but not the bar/restaurant. We had a huge room which was clean and comfortable. There is some road noise but that comes with the location. Everything controlled by the hotel I couldn't fault. Eating alone in the restaurant I was made welcome and treated to some excellent food, overall this was my accommodation highlight of the trip, if I was in the area I would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: 12A is a large family room but it does face the busy road.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Welcomed at the bar but not shown to our rooms so had to grope my way along unlit corridor, trailing suitcase, to find light switch. Room allocated was next to road so asked to change, which was accomodated, but still, there is plenty of noise from the busy duel carriageway where I was (room 8). Good rooms well decorated small tv high up, comfy but soft mattress. Good public rooms with pool table. Breakfast fine and we enjoyed the evening meal. We stayed one night whilst walking the Wolds Way.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 August 2013

we stayed 3 nights, after reading other reviews I asked for a quiet room away from the road and that is what we got ( room 9 ) shame about the squeaky floorboard right under the bed leg other than that we had no complaints at all, room was very clean, and cleaned everyday, new towels , bin emptied etc, Breakfast was excellent, we never ate in the restaurant at night as we were always out and about all day, but the restaurant was always pretty full, so I would take that as a good sign, the staff were very helpful and obliging.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the road
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We only stayed one night thank goodness because it was the worst mattress ever slept on. It actually gave you a bad back and stiff legs, terrible!

This was a great shame because the food was delicious and well worth the visit for that. The room was good, stayed in the annexe. Was clean, nice settee with footrest in front of a tv on the wall, so could sit and relax.

The bar area bit shabby but for what we paid for it was ok. It was the food that saved the day, it was great but would not return only because of the terrible mattress, which is crazy really. If we could return for the food alone we would but not to stay.

Would not recommend to friends because of this. I would think this inn appeals to the older person or business trip, not for family so a good night sleep is essential and unfortunately this inn does not give you this, shame.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I stayed at the Ganton Greyhound for four nights recently.I was with my elderly Mother and wanted somewhere near the East coast,where we could easily visit different places.
We had a really nice room overlooking the garden ,the only slight problem for us was the tiny tv.This was placed high up on the wall and it proved hard for my Mother to see and hear.
The breakfast was freshly prepared and plentiful and the staff really friendly and helpful.
Its proximity to the coast makes it an ideal place to stay,although we didn't choose to eat our evening meal in the restaurant as the prices were not really competitive.
Although I have seen reviews commenting on the nearness of the main road,we had no noise or trouble with this.

Room Tip: Obviously try to get a room at the back
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I stayed for 3 nights in a family room when visiting Yorkshire recently.
The hotel was reasonably priced, booked through an online company and a good deal for 3 nights B&B for 2 adults/2 children.
The room was clean and very spacious. Very warm too, but soon sorted when we dealt with the radiators, which had been left full on! Well equipped, but wi-fi very unreliable in the room.
Adjoining rooms in the family suite and bathroom.
Breakfast was great, very tasty, nice choice, but slightly limited times especially at the weekend.
The big down side for me was the road noise. We were in a room at the front, in the annexe on the ground floor and I think we felt and heard every vehicle that passed by on the A64 outside! Very noisy. Walls are thin too, so the noise from other occupants is hard to ignore too!
All in all a good value stay and if you are able to request a room away from the road then I recommend it!
Restaurant food ok but very hefty prices. We dined in Scarborough the second night for much better value.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the road if you can!! Definitely bring ear plugs.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Been to Ganton Greyhound Inn? Share your experiences!