“A surprising find”

Ganton Greyhound Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Ganton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 March 2014

After hearing multiple adverts for The Greyhound over the local radio station, and driving past the place many many times over the years, my husband and I decided to visit for a Sunday lunch (early mothers day celebration) ... the food was absolutely gorgeous and very reasonably priced. Very generous portion sizes, and a wide selection of veg. Blown away by the kids meal we ordered for our little boy, couldn't believe how much food he was given!

I would say overall the only 2 things that let this place down from, making it "very good" rather than excellent ... the décor in the conservatory doesn't quite match up to the rustic pub charm for the main building ... slightly too "cheap looking" to match in with the linen napkins and nice table cloths. The second thing would be that I don't particularly want to be greeted by the sight of my waitresses underwear as she serves ... perhaps a longer skirt would suit, rather than the "large belt" she appeared to wear.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ashlie-Louise P

Reviewed 2 March 2014

WOW !!! Ok so we arrive at around 4pm and get shown to our room as the previous reviewer David W explains times I won't re-write them. Once in our room we looked at the menu and £25 for a mixed grill will pepper sauce seemed expensive,so onto google to find out the grantons food reviews we went. Having found David W excellent review we decided to 'risk' staying (once we had found out they had a childrens menu).
What an inspired decision.The food was absolutely fantastic,I mean really really really fantastic. I had the mixed grill with P sauce at £25 ,the wife a fillet at £16 and from the awesome kids menu our 6 yo had a rump steak and our 10 yo daughter went for the pasta at around £6 each.
All 4 meals were just great.Our daughter infact saying that was the best pasta she had ever had . With 4 large glasses of red , 2 small glasses ,3 lagers and 4 soft drinks the £100 bill was what I feel really worth the money.Although not cheap it was just worth every penny as the food quality was second to none,a real treat. We will definately be re-visiting.
Oh I forgot to mention the included breakfast.Just great service and really good quality food.I LOVE THIS PLACE.
I must thank the previous reviewer,so thank you David as your review pushed us to eat here and what a great decision.So, thank you for taking time to write your review .

I should have mentioned the rooms,we stayed in room 17 and although facing the road had absolutely no problem with the passing noise,infact I think we would ask for this room on our next visit .

10/10 a great family stay

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank SteveColne
Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

We were travelling to the area to collect a car and opted to stay over so we could have a relaxed trip back. The pub doesn't open till 18.30, and check in is from 15.30 on if I remember correctly. We arrived shortly after that and used the door phone to let them know we'd arrived. In only a few minutes we'd been checked in and given our room key. The rooms are across the courtyard from the main building and we could park right outside. We booked a superior double,and it was spacious ,clean and comfortable. Maybe the bathroom needed a little refreshing but it's nothing to ruin your stay. The shower was very good maybe even too good as there was a possibility of overflowing the tray if you weren't careful. Every other review mentions the traffic noise from the A64 and yes,if you are a light sleeper you will find it intrusive but earplugs would fix it. The ace card and probably the best reason to visit the Greyhound though is the food which is quite superb. If we lived any closer we would be camped on the doorstep. Next morning the breakfast was to the same high standard and the perfect start to the day. I would visit again and even if I didn't stay would definitely dine there. The locals are lucky to have it.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank David W
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Stayed in a family room last Saturday...Lovely and clean, massive room with en suite and lots of hot water...Breakfast was really good...would definitely stay there again. Perfect location for visiting Scarborough, Filey, Robin Hood's Bayand Whitby.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

stayed here for one night..Could not have expected any better, warm welcome...Had meal in the restaurant it was fantastic and cooked breakfast was also very good.. The hotel is a good base for filey brid scarborough.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank joanne b
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Having read one of two rather half-hearted reviews 'more than adequate' and 'dreary looking but..' we were pleasantly surprised to find the Inn just as traditionally un-dreary as it looks on the site. The rooms were warm and cosy, the restaurant good and the staff above and beyond, providing plasters for my companion's blisters and filling our flask in the morning.
A cooked breakfast tends to be a mixed blessing on a walk, congealing into a lump of lard by mid morning. This was quite different - really good quality food, locally sourced and well cooked.
Blazing fires in the bar and restaurant. If I have a minor niggle, I think they may be let down by their wine merchants. We had a glass of Rioja and a glass of Merlot. Not poor enough to send back, but not great.
This place really deserves to succeed (though the local authority should think about putting in a pedestrian crossing outside).

Room Tip: the road is a bit noisy - so a room at the back (which we were kindly given - though I imagine they...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank traintravelLondon
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Seven of us stayed here during a recent golfing trip which included a couple of rounds at the adjacent Ganton course so very convenient from that point of view. First impressions were not brilliant but the rooms were spacious and clean and for what we paid very good value for money.
We booked the restaurant for the first night with slight trepidation but were very pleasantly surprised to enjoy an excellent meal so much so that we booked again for our third night and were equally impressed. Yes there is some traffic noise and it is looking a little tired but for a short golfing break providing great food and all round good value it is hard to beat.

Room Tip: as far away from the road as possible.I was in room 17 which is not too bad.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Graham H

Been to Ganton Greyhound Inn? Share your experiences!