“Real mixed bag, with very little positive.”
Review of The Shurland Hotel

The Shurland Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Eastchurch
Reviewed 28 July 2014

The Shurland 'Hotel'... More like pub with rooms. We stayed here out of necessity whilst attending a wedding at the nearby Ferry Inn (which will receive a glowing review). Upon arrival, we had to search for someone to check us into our room, found a member of staff at the bar, though we were made to feel an inconvenience. Given directions to the room, in the 'old' side of the building. Clearly the ground floor has been renovated to a good spec but the rooms are in desperate need of attention. I've stayed in better B&Bs than this! If we were not only sleeping there for one night I would have demanded a different room! When we returned to the hotel we were locked out having not been told about the out of hours side access, only being let after calling my brother who was also staying. Breakfast was a shambles, would have been better off visiting the burger van across the road!

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Mike376

Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

A well placed hotel with both good & bad parts. The newer rooms are well appointed & comfortable, however the older rooms are a bit scruffy & in need of some updating. Rooms at the front of the hotel are noisy from the bar downstairs, & would benefit from better bar management. The staff on duty were pleasant & professional.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Have stayed here on 2 occasions now and I am not impressed.I think there must be two parts to this Hotel, me and my colleagues obviously got the budget bit.Take my advice and pack some cleaning wipes! the rooms I had were tired, needed painting, were dusty, the travel kettle was filthy, the heater packed up after 2 nights. The bathroom was tiny,the tile grouting grubby and the sealant black with mould in places.The washbasin is tiny and underneath a glass shelf so you risk smashing your jaw or become a contortionist.Some days the used towels were not changed either.The bar food was what it said on the tin,however if the Hotel states it will serve hot food until 20:45 then it should and not close early.Breakfast can be what it should be depending ( it would seem ) who is on duty, again if they state breakfast starts at 07:00 it should and not be getting to your table at 07:20! some guests have to be on time for work etc. also my room door was unlocked when I returned! my poor colleague was always having his fresh towels and tea and coffee dumped on the floor outside his room, the reason ? the Hotel did not have a spare key for his room! my room was above the bar and noisy.Some complaints were met with a grin and a shrug or well handled ( depending who was on duty! ) Bottom line for me is the place should be clean and run to an efficient timetable and to be honest I have paid a lot less and got it in a small B+B before.Its al-right tarting up the downstairs and having a small gym, but the basics must be very good, this Hotel is not value for money and if I had had choice I would not go near the place again.

Room Tip: Be prepared to clean your own room, and try to avoid room 2
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank 860Tim
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My husband and I had the deluxe double room which consisted of a four poster bed and a Jacuzzi bath, very nice. Unfortunately, my pregnant daughter and baby grandson had the standard double which was at the front of the hotel and on top of the bar, the night was hot but she could not open the windows due to the noise, when the people went inside she could still hear the noise in the bar. last person did not leave until 3am, so she had very little sleep. They should think about the guest they have and ask people to have a bit more consideration.
Even though they were short staffed, the staff were polite and as attentive as they could be due to the problem. We only stayed overnight, don't think my daughter could have stood more than one night in the room. AC was not working due to flooding in cellar, which short circuited.
If you want a quiet night, suggest you ask for the rooms in the back of the hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room at back of hotel its quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MG1158
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

The downstairs area is very modern and in good order. The bar and restaurant provided good food and drink choice and quality. Did not use the gym so can not pass comment.
The room was adequate for my needs. Big comfy bed, tea facilities and a chair. However the room looked dated compared to the rest of the place and needs a bit if TLC, for example there were some burn marks on the carpet.
The staff were all fantastic and friendly and allowed me to have earlier breakfast due to the hours I was working.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Well it's obvious to see where the money has gone, the downstairs is lovely, with a bar, gym, spa and other facilities. None of which I used due to my hours whilst staying here on business.
The area I did use, namely the room, was poor at best. To begin with the walls have obviously not been painted in a while, the toilet was dirty, as was the shower, the floor in the bathroom is something from a bus and I had to re-affix the shower head as it was leaking badly.
The room has a tiny TV, which I had to retune, no chair and burns in the carpet. The bed was comfy even though it was a sprung not memory foam mattress. The kettle was tiny and covered in hard water inside as well as yellowing on the outside.
They provided a good selection of teas, coffees and biscuits, which was restocked daily.
More niggles come with the absence of a key card system for the rooms and also the carpark becomes full of people using the gym and the hotel users seem to get no where to park, finally there was no welcome pack in the room meaning I had to go down and ask for the Wifi password and the nearby pub is very noisy (don't take room 9)
On a final good note, the breakfasts were very nice and served earlier to accommodate our hours.

Room Tip: Don't pick any facing the front, as there a noisy kids everywhere and the pub is noisy from 20:0...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank CdK86
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Several of my colleagues had stayed at The Shurland the week before, and had found it to be wanting. Their tales were of late breakfasts, glass in the shower tray, and unserviced rooms. As you can imagine my preconceptions were not good.

I arrived to find the ground floor to be quite modern and well laid out. There was a small restaurant, a bar, and a fitness suite (for those that do). After booking in I went up to my room which was, I was informed, in the refurbished part of the hotel. It was a small, L-shaped room, with a single bed and a wardrobe with a matching chest of drawers. The bathroom was small, but clean and - thankfully - glass free. Tea and coffee making facilities were available. So, to all intents and purposes, a reasonable room. Now, there is obviously going to be a downside. Outside my window there was an air conditioning unit which was on 24/7, and considering the temperature that week, it was not great. I had a choice - sleep or ventilation.
The breakfast was served quickly and I have to say was pretty good. A selection of cereals and fruit juices were available, too. I ate twice in the bar that week and I have to be fair and say it was good. The ribeye steak with mushroom sauce on the last night was great.
All-in-all I can honestly say it was not as bad as it might have been. I have stayed I have stayed in a whole lot worse.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eastchurch
Hempstead House Hotel and Spa
#2 of 6 in Sittingbourne
Travelodge Canterbury Whitstable
Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel
Travelodge Canterbury Dunkirk

Been to The Shurland Hotel? Share your experiences!