“What every village needs...”
Review of The Kings Head

and 1 more site!
The Kings Head
Ranked #1 of 3 Wye B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 September 2013

The Kings Head seems to strike a perfect balance between holding on to its country roots but still providing top class food and city like attention to detail.

I came on a Sunday lunch and had the traditional beef roast with all the trimmings (everything is homemade, the yorkshires, rich beer gravy, even the horseradish sauce).
Plenty of local wines and beers and although I couldn't fit in a dessert, they sounded wonderful.
As did the evening meals. You can still get your typical 'pub' food ie Bangers and Mash but expect to fine everything locally sourced and thoughtfully presented.

What I loved about the pub is ye decor though, it's cost and traditional but bright and clean.
No dark red velvet curtains, dark wood paneling and yellow ceilings I am so normally used to in my local pubs.

I stayed in a suite with a roll top bath, beautiful design touches and views over the village.

• Stayed: September 2013

Reviewed 5 August 2013

The young owners have transformed this village centre pub and sympathetically blended rustic and heritage features into its refurbishment. The bedroom was bright, clean and simply furnished. The room was uncluttered but had bathrobes provided and tea/coffee making facilities. Our bed was comfortable and we really appreciated the cool cotton bedlinen. There is a good choice of freshly prepared food for breakfast. The lunch and evening menus were imaginative and the food was excellent and fairly priced, using local ingredients. We really enjoyed our stay in such a friendly establishment. It is an ideal location for a short break as the village is surrounded by footpaths through beautiful countryside with other nearby attractions to visit.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank PhilipandSue
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I was very excited when I read of the refurbishment of the King's Head and consequently very disappointed when I stayed there. I know the new team is just starting out with this pub and they have made a nice job of the bar area. But the bedroom just wasn't ready to be occupied! Orange boxes either side of the bed, no wardrobe or hanging area,no draws, no TV, no carpets, no curtains and a bath not big enough for anyone over 4ft 6in. WiFi is offered free if you can find (and without assistance if you can't).Breakfast might have been nice but I didn't have time to hang around to 8:30 before someone could be bothered to serve it.
All of this could have been overcome by a great welcome but I honestly felt that the owners resented anyone staying there.
New furnishings (well any furnishings!), and new management could now make The King's Head a nice place to stay but for now avoid. Stay in the other Wye pubs and hotels, they are both great. Stay in Ashford. Stay anywhere but not here!

Room Tip: Stay at the New Flying Horse!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Mark N
KingsHeadWye, Owner at The Kings Head, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

Dear Mark N

I am sad to hear that your stay at The King's Head did not deliver a level of comfort and service we are trying hard to create. As you pointed out we have very recently refurbished the restaurant, bar and rooms, but as a new business we still have some work to do to reach our personal goal of a fantastic place to eat, drink, and stay.

The decor of our rooms is designed deliberately to be simple, almost rustic, whilst having a warm character. We don’t have wardrobes simply because they take up so much space, which is why you will find shaker pegs flowing around the wood panelling of each room. The windows do already have blinds, and we are in the process of fitting additional black-out blinds to increase sleeping comfort. A TV aerial engineer is already booked in to get our TV’s up and running, and we are looking to improve comfort with rugs on the floor as the stripped floorboards are an original feature too good to hide!

I would like to point out that myself (Mark), and partner in the Kings Head (Scott), now have complete ownership of the Kings Head following the departure of our business partners, who were present in the business when you stayed - I can only hope that we can receive you again with the warm welcome, and great service you should have received on your first visit.

I can also vouch for your tip of staying with our friends at The New Fly Horse, it’s a nice venue with great staff, but would encourage you to pay us a second visit if you’re in town, in order that I could offer a personal apology.
With regards,
Mark

Reviewed 22 July 2013

My husband and I stayed 2 nights (20-22 July). We knew the hotel had been recently renovated but we didn't expect the first class experience that we received. The room was simply furnished but exquisite in its attention to detail with glorious soft bathrobes to make bathing delightful. But that was just the room. Downstairs, the pub has been converted and decorated using a very sympathetic layout with plenty of space for eating or just having a drink if preferred - the antler chandeliers are a sight to behold. But who wouldn't partake of the most gorgeous food? From breakfast (which would last you all day) through to lunch and then dinner, the menus provide you with a delight of options, with chef's specials allowing the chef to be creative - and believe me, it's well worth trying out. The final thing to remark on is the wonderful approach by the new tenants to their customers. Nothing is too much trouble for them. You must try this place out. It's a little gem!

Room Tip: We had a standard double. It was excellent - minimalist, simple but exquisitely done. Lovely bath...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Julespim
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Last week (late June) we spent a superb evening and a night's stay at the KINGS HEAD in Wye, Kent.

The Host did all they could to make us feel welcome and comfortable in their newly furnished accommodation.

The room with en suite facilities are clean and freshly decorated, with a cosy feeling.
They are delightfully furnished in a simple but elegant style befitting this traditional Kent Village. Television was not available in the room but we were told they are to be installed within a few days.

The restaurant serves superb food which really surpassed our expectations. The menu caters for all tastes with a varied selection to choose from. Everything was prepared to order and nicely presented.

The chairs would benefit from some cushions and the main dining area is small but there is an open fireplace for the winter.

We can thoroughly recommend a stay here while exploring the beautiful Kent countryside or conducting business in the area. There are many fine walks and the well kept village of Wye to explore. There are a few other restaurants and pubs within the village.

Wye is within easy driving distance of the port of Dover, there is also a local railway station at Wye.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Anthony W
Reviewed 1 June 2013

Everything was spot on!!! My husband and i stayed for a night and I really wish we could have stayed longer. Our room was lovely and clean, the bed was extremely comfortable and the bathroom, well, luxury!! Lovely free standing roll top bath being the focal point, always a winner there!!

Breakfast was nice and relaxed. The food was fresh and of good quality and defiantly plenty of it too setting you up nicely for the day.

But, most of all I have to say, the thing that topped it all off for me was the management and staff!! So very friendly, made you feel extremely welcome and nothing was too much bother.

The Kings Head is a must !! They really do have everything down to a tee and no words I can say will do it justice, it has to be experienced!! We will defiantly be going back!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2013

A group of 4 of us stayed in Wye for 2 days. Our first meal at this lovely establishment was so delicious we went back the second night for an encore and we were not disappointed. The staff are all friendly and provide very efficient service. Sharon the manager was extremely accommodating and went out of her way to make us welcome. All meals were delicious. I will definitely return when next back in the UK.

Room Tip: Hotel rooms are still in process of being renovated.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wye
Eastwell Manor
#1 of 2 in Brabourne
The Bowl Inn
The Bowl Inn
#1 of 1 in Charing

Been to The Kings Head? Share your experiences!