I was heartened by the sight of the Roebuck on a bleak, stormy night in the week before Xmas. The place certainly scores well on it's appearance and proximity to the railway station after a seven hour train journey. Paying up front (which mmeans you have to pay seperately for your food and collect multiple receipts) can be a pain when you are travelling on business but that is the MO at this place, apparently.
Service was couteous and jovial but the mattress in room 2 had clearly seen better days; a lumpy bed with a lot of "give" suits some people but I am not amongst them, I am afraid. A raging storm howled outside throughout the night but I hardly heard it which says a lot for the old place, really. The food was OK- others have commented on the burgers- certainly appeared to be the best buy on a very limited menu, I think. The beer was not good; my first and second pints went back because they were just not up to it but then again I had eaten early because there were large groups due in the restaurant for Xmas meals so the beer may have improved as the night wore on.
Good value at £45 given local rates and I would not want to discourage anyone from staying at the Roebuck. I had travelled down from the North and, if I was going to the area again, I would probably stay in Ashford overnight where there is a good choice of accommodation and get the train down to Harrietsham the next morning, as a preference but if I had to stay there, it would be no great hardship to stay at the Roebuck- just not on that mattress in Room 2!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Inn short distance from leeds castle. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, LateRooms and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Roebuck Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Roebuck Hotel Harrietsham
- The Roebuck Inn Harrietsham, Kent