Hempstead House Hotel and Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Tonge Barn(Sittingbourne)
View Hotel
The Golden Hope Hotel(Sittingbourne)
  • Restaurant
The Beaumont(Sittingbourne)
Railway Hotel(Faversham)
The Shurland Hotel(Eastchurch)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsafternoon teawedding anniversaryfood was amazinglovely hotelmain restaurantsunday lunchsteakopen firestaff were politemy motherfrom start to finishfunction roomcooked breakfastfeel very welcomesconesevening mealcannot fault
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Yes I was very disappointed at my experience eating at The Lakes Restaurant in Hempstead House. I went with very high expectations having been told by many that the food was 'superb'. Well, not so in my opinion. I was with relatives who were actually staying at the hotel. We all unfortunately agreed food was below standard of a place such as this. Two of us had pork with mash - the pork was all fat and the mash potato was like mushy water; one had steak and having asked for it to be ' cremated with absolutely no blood' , the waiter commented that he understood 'well done' but cremated would make the steak tough. My relative replied he knew that but cremated is how he likes his steak; it still arrived bloody and had to go back to be cooked more and by the time it came back the appetite had gone so the steak was barely touched. I had pork fillet wrapped in bacon. Whilst it was nice it was very over-seasoned. It also came with potatoes that seems to have been cooked in a bed of herbs. Awful. So sorry hempstead house, will not be be recommending anyone eating there. And as for the hotel itself, my relatives said it was ok but breakfast finishes at 9am! Fine for business guests but what about people actually on holiday! Don't want to be rushing for breakfast on their leisurely days! Surely breakfast till 10am will be better? Overall therefore this was a very disappointing experience and don't think I'll be going back.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank BrendaS682
hempsteadhouse, General Manager at Hempstead House Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Thank you for you recent review and comments. We have investigated and am happy to deliver our feedback for you and other readers. The Pork ordered was Pork belly which is of its nature a fatty meat. Our Restaurant Manager questioned to the chef that he thought the steak was actually past cremated but burnt and was certainly not bloody. We were also not advised of the potatoes or any enquiry regarding a later breakfast that we could have accommodated for you. Upon our check back to the table all comments were of a happy nature that all was ok. We offered a complimentary desert to you in recompense for the steak however as you had expressed interest in our Hotel Water bottles this was honoured to you and all was deemed as happy. We would warmly welcome you back to Hempstead House Hotel and I am sorry that you have expressed your disappointment.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Lovely Restaurant, really nice food and friendly staff. The meat was tender, and ample portions. The staff were attentive and efficient. Even messy children did not fluster them. A lovely relaxed meal and a good experience. Will definitely go again.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We had a Red Letter Gold dining experience and we chose this venue for. We had a lovely evening and the food and atmosphere was lovely. The conservatory area we eat in was very pleasant. We would definitely go back again. The staff were attentive.

Room Tip: We didn't. Book a room as we only live just over 30 minutes away. We ate in the conservatory restaurant and it was very pleasant, the food was good.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Having given a so so review before, due to a staff member, I thought it would only be fair to update it as I have now stopped here quiet a lot in the past month or so.

The rooms, I have stayed in both the new and old part of the hotel although I do prefer the new part, just for the reason of the Air Con rooms but in all the rooms I have stopped in, they have been nice and big, with great beds, cant fault the comfort at all and its great to see ironing Boards, much needed for those that travel a lot.

The Brassiere is where I have been eating and I have to say its contrast from last time. The staff cant do enough for you, they really make you feel relaxed and welcomed, its just a pleasure to sit in there and relax. I must admit I have not tried anything else or than olives and the Tia Red curry, its fantastic. I do eat plenty of Tia food and this is certainly excellent. Due to the good food and how good the staff are, we took some customers there for a meal there and they were very impressed with the food. They also do a fantastic larger as well :)

The breakfast, well its in my top 3 breakfast's of all time, I do love the quality they serve and the fried bread which is rare these days although naughty, its so dam good. It really is a quality breakfast, make no mistake and its fresh, never pre-cooked.

I had not been here for over 3 years after last time but since coming back I have not stopped any where else and have no desire to do so either.

Great rooms, fantastic staff and excellent food, what else do you need?

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Unfortunately, we were called away for an urgent funeral last December during our stay. We had booked massages and didn't even receive an apology let alone compensation for our treatments.

The 'manager' managed the situation very badly as we were very upset and it was only correct to offer us our money back. Instead their was no sympathy at all....

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jonathan A
hempsteadhouse, Owner at Hempstead House Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Sadly these guests had to leave the hotel early due to funeral commitment. They had however enjoyed an overnight stay with a three course dinner as part of their package. They were unable to have their massage but with such short notice for the cancellation, we were unable to offer a refund. Whilst we understand this was a very distressing time, we are unable to offer refunds for part of an inclusive package especially when the space in our treatment suite cannot be refilled.