“A Good Little Find”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Almondsbury
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“A Good Little Find”
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I stayed one night at the Swan recently, as I normally stay with colleagues at a larger hotel, but prefer somewhere less formal when travelling alone.

For me, the location was excellent, and the staff were friendly and very accommodating. I had a meal in the bar on the evening which was one of the nices fillet steaks I've had in the UK for a long time. On the downside, breakfast isn't available before 7.30 which is a little too late for business travellers (although to be fair they do offer a "takeaway" service which can be booked the evening before. The room was clean and comfortable - a bit on the small side, but absolutely fine for one night - and as the accommodation is in a separate building to the bar and restaurant it means that even if there are late night revellers, they wouldn't bother those wanting an early night.

Overall, I'll stay again without hesitation.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
world travellers
Reviewed 21 March 2014

There was a very nice atmosphere in the pub on the Saturday evening, but having arrived to check in at 6pm we were lucky to get a table for dinner as we had not been advised when booking the room that we also needed a dinner reservation. Others have mentioned small food portions, but I'm less convinced. They serve the food on exceptionally large (unnecessarily so) plates. Perhaps they think it's Haute Cuisine (?!). I also got my glass of wine in a glass that could probably hold an entire bottle - so again, the serving size appeared mean but it's purely psychological.

Dinner was lovely, and the chocolate nemesis dessert absolutely to die for!

One of our companion diners had the cheesecake but it was tasteless. It was passed around the table for us all to have a taste, and it did just taste like gelatine. When we mentioned this to the wait staff they were very defensive. If it was my establishment I would have offered a replacement dessert or at least not have charged for it as it was sent back uneaten (apart from the few mouthfuls we taste-tested).

The rooms were lovely. Nicely decorated, spotlessly clean, and comfortable. HOWEVER they could seriously do with replacing the windows with proper double glazing! We heard traffic all night, and there was a cold draught coming through. And good grief I'd love to know what the crowd upstairs from us were doing because it sounded like horses trotting around on the wooden floors NON STOP. - But can hardly blame the hotel for that.

At breakfast the next morning we were seated in a different area of the pub, and noticed a large shelf full of games, toys etc that could have kept the children nicely entertained at dinner the previous evening. The staff should point this out to diners. Happy, entertained children make everyone's dining experience more pleasant.

If I need to come back to the area again, we would stay at The Swan but would likely have dinner elsewhere if we had the kids with us.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Hi,

Many thanks for your feedback and constructive comments.

We truly want everyone to leave here having had an exceptional experience so it's always disappointing when we haven't quite hit the mark.

Our plates are big it's true! This isn't an attempt at haute cuisine but rather a choice to try and present the food in the best way, rather than just piling it on small plates. The wine glasses are definitely a choice as wine tastes far better out of larger glasses than those small government stamped ones!

I'm really sorry you didn't enjoy the cheesecake, and you're correct it should either have been exchanged or not charged for. I'm truly sorry that neither of these things were done.

Probably the most disappointing part of your review is the ending that if you came again with children you wouldn't eat here. In 2013 we were Great British Pub Awards South West Champions in the Family Pub Category, so we really do take seriously the way children are catered for here. I'm so disappointed that our various children's games & activities weren't explained to you.

In terms of the windows, we have triple glazing scheduled to be installed in early May as we know that this is a problem we need to get resolved.

Again, many thanks for taking the time to give constructive feedback.

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2014

The dinner was very good, although some items very pricy, and not enough food on the plate. Service at dinner was excellent and nothing was too much trouble.
Breakfast was another story. I do not think that the serving staff could be interested enough, because we had to send our breakfast back 3 times. I dont think they listened to us.
After asking for extra toast, I was told we would have to pay for it, as well as an extra breakfast. 4 adults and 2 children under 5 stayed overnight and toast received with our breakfast was 2 slices cut in half. One adult did not turn up due to ill health, but the Hotel was paid in full. Pay for the toast and extra breakfast, I said no way.
On the the excellent side, the cleanliness of our room & bathroom, I could fault nothing. Room could do with proper double glazing windows as the traffic did disturb our sleep.
Would I stay there again. No.

Room Tip: Away from the road if possible as the windows are not good quality glazing.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Hi,

I'm really sorry about the service received at breakfast, this isn't the way we want to operate and I'll email you directly about this.

I'm really glad you enjoyed dinner and the overall standard of the rooms and I can confirm that we are doing something about the glazing to hopefully eliminate these road noise problems.

Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 March 2014

A good all rounder pub with atmosphere and good selection of Ale and wines. the food was also good but not enough of it. The rooms were comfortable and cosy but needs a little bit cosmetics to update. But s good stay all round.

Room Tip: The house if you can call it that had six rooms and I have to say because the pub shuts down around...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi,

Thanks for your feedback and positive comments. We're constantly upgrading and improving our rooms so hopefully if you stay with us again you'll enjoy the improvements.

Thanks......

Devon
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I have been staying here for one night a month for the past 5 months and will keep coming back whenever I am working in this area. The staff are just delightful and I always feel comfortable eating in the bar in the evening on my own because the staff are so friendly and helpful. Nothing is too much trouble. The room is always clean and well maintained. The heating system is very efficient! Plenty of soft fluffy towels and toiletries. in the bathroom. The only down side for me is that breakfast does not start until 08.30 on Sunday which is too late for me as I have to leave at 08.30 to go to work. However, I can always get a bowl of cereal before I go and there is the option of taking a sandwich the night before. Starting breakfast at 08.00 would be better.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank JodieDevon
Hi,

Thanks for the great review!

Chard, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We had a lovely evening at the Swan Hotel. The food and service in the restaurant was excellent as was the comfortable room we had! Breakfast was also excellent. we will definitely be back!! Thank you for making the start of my partner's 60th birthday weekend celebrations so good!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi,

Thanks for the great feedback. We always try our best to make sure everyone has an exceptional experience.

Kingsbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Fabulous comfortable beds, crisp linen and soft towels. Great food and atmosphere, good location. But really needs the windows sound proofed in some way as the traffic noise from the very busy A38 greatly disturbs sleep as did the very creaky floorboards above my bed.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cheryle J
Hi,

Thanks for your good feedback. We are trying to eliminate the road noise as much as possible and are having triple glazing installed in May.

Thanks......

Garth
Also consider these accommodations in or near Almondsbury
Aztec Hotel & Spa Bristol
#1 of 1 in Tortworth
Alveston House Hotel
Alveston House Hotel
#2 of 2 in Alveston

Been to Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!