“What a wonderful experience!”

The Cottage Birchanger
The Cottage Birchanger
Ranked #1 of 2 Birchanger B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Last weekend my son married in Farham, a village nearby. I was lucky enough to be recommended The Cottage for all our friends to stay. from the first moment I contacted John and Angela ( the proprietors ) they were superb, incredibly professional and helpful. We occupied every room. Their standards are high, accommodation beautifully comfortable and squeaky clean. The breakfasts and service was incredible. I know that near to Stanstead there are Days Inns etc, to stay which I have experienced, this is defiantly the place to stay for any occasion for a little more. The grounds are beautiful.
Thank you John and Angela for making our stay so great.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank gillian d

Reviewed 16 May 2013

A homely B&B close to Stansted airport. Stayed 2 nights and were made very welcome, in lovely surroundings. Breakfasts were excellent. Gardens were beautifully laid out and the breakfast room overlooked them, which was very pleasant. Rooms spacious and comfortable. The owners were most friendly, helpful, and attentive to needs.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Robert O
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Stayed here for one night for a friend's 50th Birthday Party. Really friendly and helpful service. Clean rooms and a great breakfast.Beautiful house and gardens.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Iain M
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I stayed at the cottage from June to December 2011, whilst working on business in Bishop Stortford. Overall the place was superb. The owners are very friendly and helpful and nothing was too much trouble. The location is charming in a lovely setting in the village which is very convenient for Stanstead Airport. Each room has been tastefully decorated and furnished ( I know as I stayed in most of them atleast twice !) The breakfasts were excellent and the place was very much a home from home. I strongly recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank leakefamily1
Reviewed 28 November 2011

First and foremost for me and one that influences most what I say about a B&B or Hotel etc is the quality of the people providing the service. In this respect the Cottage scores very highly; from my first contact with Sue over the phone to my early arrival Sue was pleasant, accommodating and well just nice......

I had the pleasure of a brief chat with a number of staff including the owner and all had one thing in common; pleasant conversation and an interest in my comfort and enjoyment of my stay.

As I mentioned I arrived much earlier than planned but Sue dropped the Ironing and attended to my comfort by showing me to my room and making a nice cup of tea and some Biscuits for me to enjoy the cosy period surroundings in one of the two sitting rooms at the cottage.

My room was clean and cosy; if you are expecting Boutique Chic then go elsewhere; this is a period cottage with the charm and quirkiness that makes it different and organic, the Cottage is situated in a lovely garden setting not far from the Willows Pub. A nice country lane stroll in summer but a short car ride in winter or during inclement weather maybe advised.

The Cottage is located close to the M11 and handy for Stanstead but neither is really audible outside or in.

Breakfast overlooks the garden and although the joys of summer colours and growth have now faded the outlook can still appreciated for what autumn and winter bring.

Breakfast was just what I had ordered very tasty local Bacon and Poached Eggs with hot toast and good tea, served quickly with a smile. Excellent!

Check out was quick and easy and goodbyes are to me as important as Hello's; done well it makes feel you have made some new friends and to that end I will stay again at the cottage and also recommend to friends and colleagues.

Room Tip: If you prefer a bath to a shower; please say so at the time of booking as some rooms have shower onl...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank Nubiann
Reviewed 10 November 2011

A lovely house, beautiful inside and out very friendly helpful staff easy to understand directions. Great breakfast!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2011

A lovely house with beautiful gardens and all the facilities you'd expect, plus a lovely breakfast. All that you could want from a b&b and its only 15 minutes from the Stansted terminal.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family

Been to The Cottage Birchanger? Share your experiences!