White Horse Hotel
Malmaison Brighton(Brighton)(Great Value!)
US$155
US$149
Hotels.com
The Lanes Hotel(Brighton)(Great Value!)
Blanch House(Brighton)(Great Value!)
My Brighton(Brighton)(Great Value!)
US$142
US$119
  • Restaurant
All reviewsbus stop rightoverlooking the seaold english innskippersbrighton areaa bit tiredsea fronteggs benedictshort breaklick of paintlovely weekendboth morningsfour poster bedgreene kingsuperior roomfull englishfantastic location
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 January 2014

When you leave a hotel and know that you want to come back soon that is the experience we had. Room was large, well furnished and very clean. Service was exceptional and the meals very good. We stayed over the Christmas 2013 period and really enjoyed the break and will certainly book again. The hotel over-looks the sea and the walk along the under-cliff path is really enjoyable. Cannot praise the staff enough, all were extremely pleasant and all had a good sense of humour.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Fullingdales
OEIGK, Guest Relations Manager at White Horse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Thank you for your lovely comments. We are glad you enjoyed your visit and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed here for a family funeral. This place is in a fabulous location right on the cliffs at Rottingdean. It has a lot of scenic outdoor areas so you can enjoy the view when the weather allows. Our room was on the side of the hotel looking out over the ocean, fabulous. I really liked the location. If you want to be in the Brighton area but away from the hustle and bustle of the main seafront then this hotel is exactly what to look for. A short 2 mile drive down the road and you are at the Brighton Pier. Rottingdean is a village that runs along the coast road to Newhaven. The room was large with 2 very comfortable beds and plenty of pillows. We ate in the restaurant and found the food to be very good, the fish and chips were excellent as was the full English breakfast which is included in the price. The staff were fabulous and very attentive. No this isn't a 4 star hotel but they certainly treat you better than most 4 or 5 star hotels I have stayed in. The decor is not modern but that's all part of its charm. Would recommend this without a doubt for a unique, welcoming atmosphere that offers great value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sea view.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Sara C

Reviewed 3 January 2014

I stayed here january 2014 with 3 family members to attend relative's funeral.I must say I do not recognise some of the negative comments. I am a retired business executive and have eaten/stayed all over the country in different hotels. It does not pretend to be 4 star , it is an old building but bedrooms very comfortable and clean.WE ate in the restaurant on their specials menu and food was excellent well presented and well cooked. SErvice was impeccable.BReakfast was one of the best hotel full ENglish I have had for many years. The staff were very obliging, cheerful, nothing too much bother.AFter all the bad comments they are doing their utmost to turn this place around and on the evidence of our stay they are succeeding.ALL our family were impressed and no negative comments. This hotel is excellent value for money and was perfectly suited for our requirements .

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank BrecOnbeacOns52
OEIGK, Guest Relations Manager at White Horse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Thank you for your lovely comments and we hope other guests recognise that your experience is more typical of the service and frienliness we offer. We hope to see you return.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

I stayed here for business quite a few times during 2013. The decor is 'unique' (not bland; not modern; not old fashioned - a bit of an inbetween) and the furnishings in the bedrooms are comfortable. The beds and pillows are perfect for me - quite firm. Bathrooms a little in need of modernisation but the showers are powerful and the hot water plentiful. The staff are all very friendly and helpful and nothing is too much trouble. At breakfast, they sometimes seem a little rushed off their feet but they don't make it obvious. They seem to have to juggle between the restaurant and the reception at various times but if you find one in one area, they are always helpful and manage to sort you out in the other area! If you ask for a room overlooking the sea, then the experience is wonderful. Looking out over towards the supermarket is not so great. I like the place. It has personality as do the staff. I hate bland hotels. So if you are the same, you'll enjoy a stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking the sea.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Sara D

Thank you for your lovely comments and we hope to see you return to The White Horse very soon.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

My girlfriend and I booked in to the hotel on a cold dark October night, as it was the only hotel nearby. On entering, we stood at reception for 10 minutes before I was forced to go into the bar to find someone who could check us in. We were met by the so called manager, who briskly told us that "she can't be in 2 places at once". After some persuasion we got our key for our double room which was mediocre at best, with 2 single beds pushed together and a dated interior.

We thought what the hell, as it was around 10 o clock we would order room service. After another 10 minutes on the phone trying to get someone to place our order with, we were informed that we had ten minutes left to order from the kitchen(if they only had to have answered 10 minutes before hand we would have 20 minutes to order, imagine that). I ordered a tower burger and chips, which arrived to the room quickly enough, the chips were freezing and the tower burger which was just a normal burger with 2 onion rings sitting on top was okay but the toasted bread was reheated.

The so called manager knocked and I went to open the door, she then informed me that I had kept her waiting a couple of minutes at the door. Which really annoyed me, as I only heard the door knock once.

This manager shouldn't be in hospitality, we found her moody, rude and in need of customer care training.

On the plus side, we were blown away by the view we were greeted with the next morning. It was beautiful, but the horrible customer service and second-rate food ruined our stay.

We were booked in for the following night but we decided to go somewhere else and found a beautiful cheap hotel in Brighton the UMI hotel on the promenade, which meant we had to pay for both hotels but to be honest we didn't mind, It was worth it.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Brian L

Thank you for your comments. Please be assured that the staff member you describe will be re-trained to our high standards of friendliness and excellent customer services. Please also note this was NOT the manager who was off duty the day of your stay.