“Excellent country hotel with friendly atmosphere set in a beautiful location”

Headlam Hall Hotel Spa & Golf
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Headlam
Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

I have been to Headlam Hall several times and have always enjoyed my visits.

The meals are fantastic and are definitely a highlight. I love the two complimentary courses which include soup and a sorbet. i'm not convinced by Gin and Tonic flavour sorbet on this ocassion but that's obviously personal taste.

The rooms in the main building do the job though the bathroom was far too small on this ocassion as i had to enter the shower cubicle sideways and struggled to wash my hair as it was so narrow.

I have previously stayed in the newer rooms above the spa and i believe these are the best rooms. More expensive but worth the extra money.

We always come for a spa break and whilst small we have always enjoyed the sauna, steam room, pool and outside jacuzzi. On this occasion however the jacuzzi was much too cold and we couldn't stay in for any longer than a few minutes. It wasn't just us either. Nobody stayed in long and people usually commented on the temperature then went into the sauna to warm up.

We asked if it could be warmed but were told it was at the correct temperature and the computer seemed to have a greater say than the staff. We just got shrugged shoulders and were told it was the right temperature. Pity none of the customers agreed!

The steam room was also cool and seemed to only produce steam for a minute or two before going off. I eventually left the steam room shivering!! I'm sure that's not supposed to happen!

So my spa experience was a disappointment on this ocassion but it has been excellent all other times i have visited.

The lounge and bar area is lovely and we always enjoy taking a drink through after our meal to enjoy the open fireplace.

The overall value is excellent for people wanting a relaxing weekend of room, spa and an tasty dinner.

I shall definitely visit again..fingers crossed they will have solved the spa issues by then.

• Stayed: January 2014
TGJR, Owner at Headlam Hall Hotel Spa & Golf, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Thank you for your kind comments and our apologies if there were problems with the temperatures in the spa at the time of your visit. We have not had any problems since so hopefully it was a one off glitch.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

We went for the winter blues spa overnight package, and every little bit was wonderful. The spa staff were very accommodating, the meal was absolutely top class, the room was large, quiet with a very comfy bed, and the staff were friendly, down to earth but not intrusive. And of course the hotel is just beautiful. We recommend and will return.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Juliarachel

Pleased to read that we helped to stave off the winter blues and you had an enjoyable stay on this spa package. The feedback is much appreciated.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

All in all we had a fantastic stay 28/29 December 2013 My wife and I + Daughter and Son in Law, the room was fine and the general ambiance of the hotel was first rate, we enjoyed our Dinner in the restaurant the Smoked Haddock and Sea Bream were stand outs, breakfasts very good also.

The Wedding, Reception and 'Night do' with buffet were excellent, the staff were uniformly welcoming and professional, a seamlessly excellent event.

Would certainly consider staying again, as it it is all about location, location, location.

Thanks again to the hotel manager, wedding supervisor special shout outs to Sam in the bar, all the reception staff and Brian on the porterage.

Well pleased nuff said.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Great to hear that you had an enjoyable stay and a good time at the wedding celebration you were attending. Thanks for the kind comments and hope to welcome you back again.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

I have been visiting Headlam Hall for over 14 years, mainly as the organiser of business conferences
Without exception the service received has been excellent the staff are exceptionally friendly and helpful
My last visit was for pleasure and the opportunity to enjoy the Spa and a delicious evening meal with friends was fabulous
Would highly recommend Headlam for business meetings/conferences or an indulgent night away

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your review and loyal custom over the years. I hope the relationship continues for many years to come.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

Stayed as part of a wedding party. The building, grounds and function/bar areas are very well presented. The food and service on the day of the wedding was good and everyone enjoyed the day.
Now onto the room, as a family of 4 we were offered one of the larger rooms adjacent the kitchens.
First impressions were ok, not so good as the day progressed. Without going into every detail the room was not very clean, dog hairs/dust under the bed. Bathroom floor had not been cleaned so the mat placed on the floor whilst showering became dirty. The bed linen was aged, displaying holes etc.
I mentioned the above on departure in a polite manner and was asked to fill in a feedback form and hand it back, this I did and was told that the manager would review my comments.
Two months on and I have not had any feedback or response to my comments.
I was charged £144 for the room plus £50 for the children.

As the lady on reception said "it is the little things that make the difference"

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank RedcarMike_69
Reviewed 17 December 2013

This family run hotel offers a delightful village location in Northern England near Darlington with excellent facilities. The staff are simply wonderful and you really feel as if there is a genuine desire to make your stay as good as possible and without a hint of the superciliousness sometimes found in hotel management and service delivery.

The food is scrumptious, with excellent variety and all of which is well cooked, well presented and full of flavour.

The rooms are well appointed and clean. I stayed in the mews rooms as I have dogs which are welcomed by the hotel.

There is an excellent spa and also a golf course

I've been twice now and would not hesitate to go again as soon as I have the chance. If only other hotels could adopt the atmosphere and service delivery of Headlam. Well done and keep it up - it's a special place

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
TGJR, Owner at Headlam Hall Hotel Spa & Golf, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

It is great to hear that our family business ethos of friendly service is being delivered and appreciated. Thank you for the kind feedback and we look forward to welcoming you, your family and dogs back again.

Reviewed 11 December 2013

My parents took myself and my partner last night for dinner, what a beautiful hotel, you could not fault the place, very clean and very festive with the tasteful decorations up ready for Christmas.

The menu was also very good with just the right amount to choose from, the portion size was ok we all managed to eat a starter, main course and a sweet all really really nice, if i had to criticise one thing it would have to be the cheese board, it was rather a let down for a cheese lover! personally i think it should have the wow factor with good chunks of cheese with grapes, apple that sort of thing, but it did have a nice chutney and a good selection of cheese and crackers to choose from.

After our meal we had a few drinks round the fire, i must mention Sam who works in the bar and lounge area, she really looked after us and did a great job taking a couple of family pics for my belated birthday evening.

Will defiantly recommend to friends and family, good food, lovely staff & beautiful hotel.

1  Thank sarah666Durham

Delighted that you had an enjoyable family get together and thank you for your kind comments.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Headlam
Seaham Hall
#1 of 1 in Romaldkirk
Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club
Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club
#1 of 1 in Coatham Mundeville

Been to Headlam Hall Hotel Spa & Golf? Share your experiences!