“Business or Leisure a Fabulous Hotel”

The Manor House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in West Auckland
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Business or Leisure a Fabulous Hotel”
Reviewed 17 May 2011

I stayed her on 16th and 17th May 2011 for a work conference which I organised.
The hotel is steeped in history and my colleagues were really impressed with its quirky nature and history. The staff even gave us a little history talk about its haunted history !!
Service, staff, hotel wre all great. Service was exemplary and we couldn't of been looked after any better.
Conference facilities were brilliant with flip charts, screens and everything you would expect and food was extremely plentiful !!

Room Tip: Ask for one of the 4 poster rooms
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank 10JET1
AngelaThomas, Front Office Manager at The Manor House Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2011
I would like to thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us.
I am very happy that the conference facilites were to your liking and the service and staff were all great. I will pass your comments onto the team and we look forward to holding your next conference here in the near fututre.
Rebecca Chambers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Durham
Reviewed 13 May 2011

We atttended the same wedding party and found staff to be really friendly and helpful. We had a four-poster bed/bedroom and it was enormous, comfortable and had lovely views over the garden. Linen was fresh and of good quality. The bathroom had a separate shower and bath.
I had melon, roast beef and meringue at the wedding breakfast but would like to have been given yorkshire puds like others who had chosen this dish! 100g cornflour, 3 eggs, 1/4 pt milk, salt and cooked in usual way makes 12 muffin size gluten-free! My plate looked empty compared to others as no roasties either. Did chef not think of saute potatoes? However, they did provide FRESH gf bread so I was able to have sandwiches at the evening event and for breakfast next morning. My breakfast was also good as was my husbands. (wished I could have had the sticky toffee pudding, but we'll leave that recipe for a gf version for another time lol)!
I would come back to this hotel and recommend it to friends.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Veejay8
I would like to personally thank you for all your kind words about your recent stay with us at the Manor House. I am sorry you didnt receive as much of the meal as the other guests due to your dietary requirements, I will pass your suggestions onto our chef, I am pleased you were able to have the bread we served for you.
I hope to see you again soon and will give your recipe to our chef for your next visit.
Kind regards
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2011

My stay here was part of a wedding group, so we took up most of the hotel and saw a few of the rooms.

I had a four poster bed upsatirs (Anne of Cleeves) at the front of the building and it was beautiful. The room was very big with plenty of storage space and a very comfortable bed. There were 2 very large windows in the room giving a lovely view and loads of light. A couple of chairs were placed at the bottom of the bed with a table which was ideal for me whilst my partner was getting ready just to sit a watch TV. The TV is a little small if you want to watch it from bed as its quite a way. The bathroom was nice with a seperate bath and shower unit with a sink and a big mirror. My only problem here was that there were some floor tiles loose by the toilet. Not brilliant. Out of the other few rooms I saw, ours was the best in terms of space and light in the bedroom, but the ohers were slightly better only in the bathroom.

The building is full of character, never stayed anywhere like it. the lounge is very warm and cosy, and the restaurant is lovely and very comfortable.

The wedding meal was very good (pate, lamb dinner, sticky toffee pudding), though my partner was not of the same opinion and did not find it that good (prawns, salmon dinner, merainge).

There were 2 main problems with our stay. 1) THE HEAT!!! Even though I changed the thermostat setting, we were fried to a crisp through the night and slept with the windows open. And that was true throughout the hotel. Everyone I spoke too who stayed there that night had the same opinion. It was truely rediculous and I dont usually complain.

2) The Breakfast. In a word, awful. Im quite a food fan and I look forward to my breakfast more than any other. I ordered poached egg on toast, as dd my partner. When it arrived, the eggs were small, but perfectly done. However, the toast! The bread must have been teased with the grill as it was so incredibly soggy, it was awful. My partners was the same. We were also sat with our parents who found their full english not upto scratch. The contiental buffet did not have much in the way of choice of cereal, fruit or bakery items. I was left very disatisfied. This may be due to the large group, but surely they should give a good breakfast even when the hotel is full?

If you wish to stay here, I would highly recommend it and I will be going again even if its just to the restaurant. But I recommend looking for somewhere else for breakfast.

Room Tip: The four poster rooms were really nice!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Gateshead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2011

Have just come back from my hen weekend at The Manor House Hotel and I have to say how throroughly enjoyable it was. Myself and my two friends were wanting a quiet relaxing spa weekend and that was exactly what we got. The rooms and food were of a very high standard and the staff were very friendly and helpful. The facilities and treatments at the spa were amazing and were thoroughly enjoyed.
Thank you very much for making my hen weekend so enjoyable and exactly what I wanted.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
AngelaThomas, Front Office Manager at The Manor House Hotel, responded to this review, 5 May 2011
Dear Miss Taylor
I would like to thank you for giving us your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Manor House Hotel.
Thank you so much for your kind comments, I am very pleased you had the relaxing weekend you had hoped for and that the food and service was of a high standard. I do hope you stay with us again in the near future.
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2011

Lovely hotel with great character, staff very friendly and helpful. Due to an issue with the door lock on our room we were upgraded to a Suite room which was huge with a really big bathroom. Food in the restaurant was great, Lamb shank cooked to perfection and due to the size of portion just enough room for dessert!. Rooms reasonably clean though a few cobwebs in the room but this just added to the character of the Grade 1 listed building. Floors do squeak quite a bit and pipework noises from bathroom can be loud at times. Our room was opposite one of restaurants which can feel a bit strange when you walk out of your room and people eating their meals are looking at you, but don't suppose they thought of this when they built the place back hundreds of years ago! Only criticism would be the attention to detail, there was some small rubbish on our bedroom floor, curtain poles in bedroom were broken or missing and tarnish marks in the bath itself

Room Tip: You may see some ghosts!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
First of all I would like to thank you in taking the time and leaving your review regarding your stay at the Manor House. I'm delighted you find our hotel has great character and friendly helpful staff and am very happy you enjoyed the food, I will pass your lovely comments onto our team.
I am sorry you had an issue with your door lock but am happy that our staff dealt with this efficiently. I have passed your comments regarding attention to detail onto our housekeeping department and thank you for bringing this to our attention as without customer comments we would not know which areas we need to improve on.
I am very happy you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again in the very near future.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2011

Enjoyed everything about our 2 night stay - the setting, staff, food and the facilities but it would have been good to have been able to aadjust the temperature in the bedroom. There was a thermostat but resetting it didn't seem to make any difference. This meant that it was overly warm during the night.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
AngelaThomas, Front Office Manager at The Manor House Hotel, responded to this review, 19 April 2011
Dear Mrs Smith,
I would like to thank you for leaving your comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel, i am very happy that you enjoyed your 2 night break with us and I am terribly sorry you found the room too warm for your liking.
I have spoken to our maintenance team and they found a fault on some of the thermostats in some of our rooms which has now been rectified and I would like to thank you for bringing this to my attention as without comments we would not know of such faults.
I hope you decide to stay at the hotel again in the future and look forward to seeing you.
Many thanks
Rebecca
geordie traveller
Reviewed 17 April 2011

Comfortable, clean, friendly staff and excellent food. We would go back.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
I would like to thank you for leaving your kind comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel, I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you when you return hopefully in the near future.

Rebecca
#1 of 1 in Coatham Mundeville
Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel
The Honest Lawyer Hotel
Best Western Whitworth Hall Hotel

Been to The Manor House Hotel? Share your experiences!