“Thoroughly recommend”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in West Auckland
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Thoroughly recommend”
Reviewed 23 February 2013

Stayed here having got a great deal with Living Social.. Very friendly and extremely helpful staff. Fantastic breakfast. Made the most of the swimming pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi. Had lovely treatments too. Couldn't fault it. Would thoroughly recommend. Thank you for getting my little girl and I's half term holiday off to a great start.

2 Thank Caroline H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2013

Stayed here earlier this week having got a great deal with Living Social. All the staff were extremely helpful and very friendly. Would fully recommend it to anyone. The breakfast was fantastic. We made the most of the swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room. We also had lovely treatments. Full marks. Thank you so much for getting my little girls and I's half term holidays off to a brilliant start.

1 Thank Caroline H
James H, Front Office Manager at The Manor House Hotel, responded to this review, 26 February 2013
Dear Caroline H,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us at The Manor House Hotel.

I am delighted that you and your daughter had an excellent time with us. I will pass your kind comments on to all of the staff, and we look forward to welcoming you both back to the hotel very soon.

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2013

Took my daughter here for a spa day treat for the half term with a living social voucher, we had a really lovely time. We were welcomed by a lovely guy at spa area who was very helpful. The pool area could do with a lick of paint but it didn't spoil anything, we enjoyed the sauna and steam room also. We had hot chocolate with warm cookies in the hotel itself which is a lovely building, we returned here for our lunch which was sandwiches, and broth. There was so much food, the sandwiches came with salad, homemade coleslaw and crisps,and homemade broth, they were all lovely. Our treatments were excellent too, couldn't fault our day.

1 Thank Burnmoorcricketfan
Dear Burnmoorcricketfan,

Thankyou for the review of your recent spa day at The Manor House Hotel and Spa

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your day with us.

I will pass your kind words onto our kitchen, and spa staff, and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Manor House Hotel in the near future.

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2013 via mobile

When we walked in it was a bit dark and dingy the staff were friendly but even though its an old building its very dark looking no effort with decor!
When going into our room (ten) the corridor smells awful got into our room it was a bit disappointing the bed squeeked with every move you made the telly was in a funny place but the bathroom is lovely but no conditioner for hair.
You could also here every move the people made upstairs.
the meal on the night was gorgeous!!! And the health spa was small but nice and clean and costs nothing!
Although in the morning the breakfast was disappointing no sugar on tables for your tea and coffee took ages to get some because staff are so busy and I ordered a simple bacon sandwidge no butter on bread bacon was hardly cooked and I like mine rare! And the bread was stale. Overall okay stay wouldn't return unless for a meal!

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Kate B,

Thank you for the review of your recent stay with us at The Manor House Hotel. Guest feedback is very important to us, and it is only with guest comments that we can strive to improve the guest experience.

I am sorry that the dark decor of the main reception area was not to your taste, and you found it dark and dingy. As you mention, it is an old building, and we try to retain the historic character.

I also apologise that you were not satisfied with your room. Room 10 is one of our four poster suites, and is usually very popular with guests.

I have spoken to our restaurant manager regarding your issues with breakfast, the lack of sugar and the time it took to order. This is not the usual standard here at the hotel, however thank you for your kind comments regarding dinner in the restaurant and the spa facilites.

I hope that you will one day let us restore your faith in the manor house. Should you wish to discuss your concerns any further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly on the hotel telephone number.

south shields
Reviewed 12 February 2013

I stayed at this hotel with my sister for a Spa break that she was bought as a Christmas Present. We had a right carry on trying to book up at a time that suited us and ended up having to pay extra for a 4 poster bedroom and having to have our treatments on the day that we were leaving.

We arrived after 7pm and parked in the car park to the rear right of the building, which was easy enough to find, but trying to navigate our way back to the hotel reception was a nightmare. There was absolutely no lighting in place and we ended up using our phones to avoid any mud or pot holes. Watch the step on the way into the hotel - I tripped on the way in and my sister did on the way out!

Check-in was fast and efficient and the staff were lovely. We were asked if we wanted to make reservations for dinner and we should have as there isn't much nearby (except a Spar) and we ended up coming back to the hotel to eat in the restaurant. It was very nice and we both enjoyed our meal. Again, the satff were very polite. We had a drink in what I guess was the lounge (we didn't realise that the bar was across the courtyard) it was very relaxing but there was a serious lack of atmosphere. A little bit of piped music wouldn't go amiss.

Our 4 poster bedroom was a great size with a very comfortable bed, flat screen tv and large bathroom with a bath and shower. The hotel provided tea and coffee making facilities, some toiletries and a hairdrier.

Breakfast was as expected, nothing groubndbreaking but nice all the same. Cold continental breakfast and a choice of hot breakfasts cooked to order. Again, the staff were very friendly and helpful.

Before we checked out we went for our spa treatments. What a disappointment. We both had a back, neck and shoulder massage and we weren't seen to in the spa. We both had our treatments in a twin bedroom - room number 19, on a very old unsteady table without a face hole. Every time the therapist went up or down my back the table moved which wasn't very relaxing and I could hear the loud dance music from the (empty) gym below. The massage was lovely and I couldn't fault the therapist but the surroundings completely spoiled it.

It's good to note that there is no Wi-Fi at all - or, at least, I couldn't pick any up. I can't believe that a hotel doesn't offer free Wi-fi (or even chargeable) anywhere in the hotel. Especially since there isn't really much to do nearby!

The hotel is very quirky, interesting and full of old english charm. Lovely for a relaxing break.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Co. Durham
Reviewed 10 February 2013 via mobile

We had a living social deal that was very good value so wasn't expected too much we booked for the treatments but after reading reviews on here we thought we were in for a treat. Our sparkling wine and strawberries were not ready on arrival we had to ask for them but the fruit man hadn't been yet. The staff were really friendly in the spa and the spa area was nicer than I expected. We enjoyed using the facilities. The treatments were a big let down. My massage was only 15 minutes and my neck hurt afterwards. I wasn't in a proper treatment room it was a hotel room and the massage bed did not have a face hole in but a pillow on. I didn't realise until afterwards that this was what must've caused it. I had a cricked neck all afternoon and night. When I had my second treatment I told the girl and she said she would work on my neck during the facial which she did for a little bit but the facial was only 20 minutes. The two people I was with said their treatments were ok. I felt worse than before after mine. not relaxed at all. The other annoying thing was lunch. We chose our time for lunch and preordered but it was about 50 minutes late. It tasted nice though. Probably wont be going back.

Stayed December 2012
James H, Front Office Manager at The Manor House Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2013
Dear emmylou30,

Thank you for your review on your spa day at The Manor House Hotel. Guest feedback is very important to us, and it is only with guest comments that we can strive to improve the business.

May I first apologise for your sparkling wine and dipped strawberries were not ready for you on arrival. I am sorry for the delay.

I am sorry you felt that your treatments were not relaxing. I have had nothing but good comments about our beauty therapists, and will discuss this with the Beauty Manager. However, I am pleased to hear that your friends enjoyed theirs.

Once again, I am sorry for the delay with your lunch, this is not the normal standard at The Manor House, but thank you for your kind comments regarding the food.

Travellers are raving about these West Auckland hotels

Selkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2013 via mobile

Stayed here last night and wasn't sure what to make of the place. It didn't get off to a good start with the well hidden step at the front door, but then a really nice warm welcome from the staff made up for it. My room was clean and well turned out, a fantastic hot shower in the ensuite with gallons of water, brilliant! The bed was comfy and warm though the pillows were slightly on the hard side. The evening meal in the bar over the courtyard was tasty and very reasonable, again friendly staff and pleasant atmosphere. Breakfast was a little bit of a challenge, trying to find the restaurant in the rabbit warren, then trying to find someone to arrange breakfast was disappointing. This was made up for though with very polite an pleasant service and good food. Next time I intend to make the most of the facilities there.

Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
James H, Front Office Manager at The Manor House Hotel, responded to this review, 10 February 2013
Dear ACammyB,

Thankyou for the review of your recent stay at The Manor House Hotel and Spa. I am delighted that you had a pleasant stay.

Im sorry that you had difficulty locating the restaurant for breakfast, but that was made up for with the food and good service.

I will pass your comments onto all of the staff here at the hotel, and we look forward to hopefully welcoming you back in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Auckland
Premier Inn Bishop Auckland Hotel
Park Head Country Hotel and Restaurant
Headlam Hall Hotel Spa & Golf
The Honest Lawyer Hotel

Been to The Manor House Hotel? Share your experiences!