“enjoyable”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in West Auckland
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“enjoyable”
Reviewed 9 March 2013

Spent one night here. Room was nice, restaurant meal was good value and food tasty. Had lunch by the fire in the lounge which was welcome on a cold day. Pool area was small but was quiet when we went around teatime, have no complaints about cleanliness. Thought this was a good value hotel and enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
James H, Front Office Manager at The Manor House Hotel, responded to this review, 11 March 2013
Dear Juleshigh,

Thank you for your recent review of your stay at The Manor House Hotel.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I will pass your kind comments regarding the food onto our kitchen and restaurant.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

James Hart

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Richmond, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2013

After viewing pictures online ( and seeing it got a good rating on here, however i didn't go reading the reviews) I thought I would give it ago.

We went for the spa day break , £25 pp for use of the facilities and a 30 minute treatment.
Well I can't speak for the treatments as we didn't get that far.
I would describe the place in two words as 'dark and rundown'. In desperate need of a revamp.

Yes the deal was a cheap one and included a 'light lunch', but not for a second did I expect what we got.

The pool area.... was tiny, over crowded, had 4 deck chairs (the white plastic kind like on holiday) and a table and chairs. I didnt stay long enough to use the sauna/ steam room.
There was workmen in the corner of the room with tools and tanks on display! Dont ask me what they were doing i'm clueless. They were coming and going though being noises etc. Any thing but relaxing. Ive never experienced a spa break quite like it.

The changing rooms were dirty, sogging floor (wish i took flip flops) the toilets were not clean and smelled.

All in all anything but relaxing.... and we thought we were going for a chilled out afternoon.
We left after 5 minutes by the pool.

The light lunch was anything upto £5 as we found out once at the table. There was only 2 things on the menu applicable so we got sandwiches, They were ok. However I was annoyed that we had to pay for our drinks to go with. We only got 2 soft drinks and got charged near enough £5!

Ooo the eating area was dark, carpet was dirty and just plain weird. The whole atmosphere was cold and like a haunted dusty castle!

We are by far not snobs, Ive been to quite a few spa's and have thoroughly enjoyed everyone (bannatynes, headlam etc) until now!

The staff were friendly and did issue us a refund after a 25 minute wait.
They offered us a free visit with an extra treatment for another time but we declined as we wouldn't want to return.

Hope our review was helpful
xx

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kate g
Dear Kate G

Thank you for your recent review. It is only with customer feedback that we can take our business further and rectify any problems.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your spa day with us. On that particular day, our swimming pool extractor fan had broken, and as Im sure you can appreciate, this is an essential piece of equipment, and we had to take immediate measures.

This meant us putting in other pieces of equipment as you have mentioned. This is not an ideal situation when guests are in the pool area, however this had to be done immediately as major damage could have been caused to the structure of the building.

I am sorry you felt the changing rooms were dirty; I have spoken to the health club manager, who has ensured me that extra checks will be done in the changing rooms to stop this happening in the future.

I am investigating why you were lead to believe the light lunch was anything up to £5.00 as this is not the case, it is a number of dishes from our lounge menu, and I am sorry that you were lead to think this.

Thank you for your kind comments about the friendly staff, and I am sorry that you felt you could not take up our offer of another visit with extra treatments, once the maintenance issues were resolved. I can only give you my sincere apologies as I believe our Duty Manager issued a full refund, as on that day he could not make any better of a situation totally out of our hands.

Travellers are raving about these West Auckland hotels

Tyne and Wear
Reviewed 1 March 2013 via mobile

Annually a group of friends and I have been having a couples night away.... When we seen this living social deal it ticked all the boxes!
The spa area was very busy and a little small for the size of the hotel and amount of people there... Locals use it too, (which I'm sure I would too if I lived in a village like that) down side was having to get dressed again to go get some food got lunch.
The rooms do need a little updating or even just carpets removed? We were in room 1 and it did have a strange smell.... One of our party had to be switched rooms as the shower was too cold, reception said they were end of the line so water can runout?
The restaurant on the evening and breakfast the next morning couldn't be faulted! Food was delicious!!!!
The stables bar was jam packed but a good atmosphere and cheaper beer than the hotel bar.... I'm not sure I'd return for a full price stay but would consider if it came on a deal again.

• Stayed January 2013
James H, Front Office Manager at The Manor House Hotel, responded to this review, 4 March 2013
Dear glb006,

Thank you for the review of your recent stay at the Manor House Hotel. It is only with guest feedback that we can help improve the business.

I will pass your kind comments on to the kitchen and staff regarding your dinner and breakfast in the restaurant.

Please keep an eye out for any future offers we have. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2013

Stayed here having got a great deal with Living Social.. Very friendly and extremely helpful staff. Fantastic breakfast. Made the most of the swimming pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi. Had lovely treatments too. Couldn't fault it. Would thoroughly recommend. Thank you for getting my little girl and I's half term holiday off to a great start.

2 Thank Caroline H
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2013

Stayed here earlier this week having got a great deal with Living Social. All the staff were extremely helpful and very friendly. Would fully recommend it to anyone. The breakfast was fantastic. We made the most of the swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room. We also had lovely treatments. Full marks. Thank you so much for getting my little girls and I's half term holidays off to a brilliant start.

1 Thank Caroline H
James H, Front Office Manager at The Manor House Hotel, responded to this review, 26 February 2013
Dear Caroline H,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us at The Manor House Hotel.

I am delighted that you and your daughter had an excellent time with us. I will pass your kind comments on to all of the staff, and we look forward to welcoming you both back to the hotel very soon.

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2013

Took my daughter here for a spa day treat for the half term with a living social voucher, we had a really lovely time. We were welcomed by a lovely guy at spa area who was very helpful. The pool area could do with a lick of paint but it didn't spoil anything, we enjoyed the sauna and steam room also. We had hot chocolate with warm cookies in the hotel itself which is a lovely building, we returned here for our lunch which was sandwiches, and broth. There was so much food, the sandwiches came with salad, homemade coleslaw and crisps,and homemade broth, they were all lovely. Our treatments were excellent too, couldn't fault our day.

1 Thank Burnmoorcricketfan
Dear Burnmoorcricketfan,

Thankyou for the review of your recent spa day at The Manor House Hotel and Spa

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your day with us.

I will pass your kind words onto our kitchen, and spa staff, and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Manor House Hotel in the near future.

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2013 via mobile

When we walked in it was a bit dark and dingy the staff were friendly but even though its an old building its very dark looking no effort with decor!
When going into our room (ten) the corridor smells awful got into our room it was a bit disappointing the bed squeeked with every move you made the telly was in a funny place but the bathroom is lovely but no conditioner for hair.
You could also here every move the people made upstairs.
the meal on the night was gorgeous!!! And the health spa was small but nice and clean and costs nothing!
Although in the morning the breakfast was disappointing no sugar on tables for your tea and coffee took ages to get some because staff are so busy and I ordered a simple bacon sandwidge no butter on bread bacon was hardly cooked and I like mine rare! And the bread was stale. Overall okay stay wouldn't return unless for a meal!

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Kate B,

Thank you for the review of your recent stay with us at The Manor House Hotel. Guest feedback is very important to us, and it is only with guest comments that we can strive to improve the guest experience.

I am sorry that the dark decor of the main reception area was not to your taste, and you found it dark and dingy. As you mention, it is an old building, and we try to retain the historic character.

I also apologise that you were not satisfied with your room. Room 10 is one of our four poster suites, and is usually very popular with guests.

I have spoken to our restaurant manager regarding your issues with breakfast, the lack of sugar and the time it took to order. This is not the usual standard here at the hotel, however thank you for your kind comments regarding dinner in the restaurant and the spa facilites.

I hope that you will one day let us restore your faith in the manor house. Should you wish to discuss your concerns any further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly on the hotel telephone number.

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Auckland
Premier Inn Bishop Auckland Hotel
Park Head Country Hotel and Restaurant
Headlam Hall Hotel Spa & Golf
The Honest Lawyer Hotel

Been to The Manor House Hotel? Share your experiences!