“Nice Break” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in West Auckland
Sunderland
“Nice Break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013 via mobile

I booked this up for me and my daughter as part of her birthday present. We stayed for 1 night bed and breakfast and 1 spa treatment. The staff were really helpful. We also had an evening meal in the restaurant which was very nice. The room was clean and ok size. Lovely relaxing break would book up again.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
James H, Front Office Manager at The Manor House Hotel, responded to this review, 19 March 2013
Deart Love_Holidays_xx

Thank you for the review of your recent stay with us here at The Manor House Hotel.

I am delighted that you and your daughter had a great time with us.

I have passed your kind comments onto all of our staff, regarding the helpful service and lovely meal in the restaurant.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

James Hart

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013

Ive been here for a Spa day twice now as its relatively close to where i live. The latest I had an email for a special deal, 2 treatments 25 mins each along with lunch and use of the spa facilities for the day which i did with a friend.
All i can say is we had a wicked day, not very many people using the facilities so pretty much had the place to ourselves and enjoyed the use of the pool, steam room and sauna. The treatments were pretty good too although could of done with a bit longer. I had the back, neck and shoulder massage and indian head massage.
The lunch was top class, a delicious chicken roast dinner and apple and plum crumble for dessert.
Couldnt comment on the actual hotel as havent stayed although probably would do if the opportunity arose.
All in all a fab day, would come again definately and look forward to more deals to drop in my inbox.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Jude1276,

Thank you for the review of your recent spa day at The Manor House Hotel.

I am delighted that you had a great day, and enjoyed your lunch and treatments on the day.

I have passed your kind words on to our kitchen and beauticians.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Manor House in the near future.

Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013

Me, my boyfriend, his sister and her boyfriend went for one night for my boyfriends birthday. Well lets just say before we'd even gone into the lounge the receptionist was so rude to us, we couldn't believe how rude she was when we asked where the nearest shop was she looked like she didn't want to help. Then next we went to get our keys, we had booked together but the rooms were in total different buildings and if we wanted to go to each others room we had to walk outside in the rain. When we asked if there was any chance we could change rooms to be closer to each other, again the receptionist was so rude and blunt and was like " No were fully booked." We had been to our rooms and decided we would get a snack in the lounge, well I can't even begin to tell you how rude and obnoctious the man behind the bar was, he didn't even write our order down just went "okay." I'm not someone to moan but the staff were absolutely horrible. I could mention 2 out of all the staff were nice. All the staff seemed to look down on us, like we shouldn't of been there, thats how we felt. That was the first couple of hours of being there, on the night we did anything to not be in the hotel as we were so disappointed. Well the hairdryer in my room was so mucky. The next morning well I can't even explain how disgusting the breakfast was. My boyfriends sister asked for her egg well done and it came back runny looked like butter. My breakfast was horrible, I asked for my fried egg hard as I am pregnant and a runny egg is what I need to avoid, so I couldn't eat the egg, and the sausages were herbed, if it said that on the menu I wouldn't of had them. Overall the place was a disgrace and I will never ever be going there again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Sam B,

Thank you for the review of your recent stay at The Manor House Hotel.

May I apologise that you were unhappy with your stay. It is only with guest comments that we can strive to improve our business.

I am extremely disappointed that you felt the staff at The Manor House were rude, blunt and obnoxious. As with all businesses, we do not always get everything correct, but I can honestly say that we usually get very good comments regarding the staff, and I can not understand why you got this impression. I am really sorry.

Again, may I thank you for your comments.

Travellers are raving about these West Auckland hotels

Sunderland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2013

Spent one night here. Room was nice, restaurant meal was good value and food tasty. Had lunch by the fire in the lounge which was welcome on a cold day. Pool area was small but was quiet when we went around teatime, have no complaints about cleanliness. Thought this was a good value hotel and enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
James H, Front Office Manager at The Manor House Hotel, responded to this review, 11 March 2013
Dear Juleshigh,

Thank you for your recent review of your stay at The Manor House Hotel.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I will pass your kind comments regarding the food onto our kitchen and restaurant.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Richmond, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2013

After viewing pictures online ( and seeing it got a good rating on here, however i didn't go reading the reviews) I thought I would give it ago.

We went for the spa day break , £25 pp for use of the facilities and a 30 minute treatment.
Well I can't speak for the treatments as we didn't get that far.
I would describe the place in two words as 'dark and rundown'. In desperate need of a revamp.

Yes the deal was a cheap one and included a 'light lunch', but not for a second did I expect what we got.

The pool area.... was tiny, over crowded, had 4 deck chairs (the white plastic kind like on holiday) and a table and chairs. I didnt stay long enough to use the sauna/ steam room.
There was workmen in the corner of the room with tools and tanks on display! Dont ask me what they were doing i'm clueless. They were coming and going though being noises etc. Any thing but relaxing. Ive never experienced a spa break quite like it.

The changing rooms were dirty, sogging floor (wish i took flip flops) the toilets were not clean and smelled.

All in all anything but relaxing.... and we thought we were going for a chilled out afternoon.
We left after 5 minutes by the pool.

The light lunch was anything upto £5 as we found out once at the table. There was only 2 things on the menu applicable so we got sandwiches, They were ok. However I was annoyed that we had to pay for our drinks to go with. We only got 2 soft drinks and got charged near enough £5!

Ooo the eating area was dark, carpet was dirty and just plain weird. The whole atmosphere was cold and like a haunted dusty castle!

We are by far not snobs, Ive been to quite a few spa's and have thoroughly enjoyed everyone (bannatynes, headlam etc) until now!

The staff were friendly and did issue us a refund after a 25 minute wait.
They offered us a free visit with an extra treatment for another time but we declined as we wouldn't want to return.

Hope our review was helpful
xx

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kate g
Dear Kate G

Thank you for your recent review. It is only with customer feedback that we can take our business further and rectify any problems.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your spa day with us. On that particular day, our swimming pool extractor fan had broken, and as Im sure you can appreciate, this is an essential piece of equipment, and we had to take immediate measures.

This meant us putting in other pieces of equipment as you have mentioned. This is not an ideal situation when guests are in the pool area, however this had to be done immediately as major damage could have been caused to the structure of the building.

I am sorry you felt the changing rooms were dirty; I have spoken to the health club manager, who has ensured me that extra checks will be done in the changing rooms to stop this happening in the future.

I am investigating why you were lead to believe the light lunch was anything up to £5.00 as this is not the case, it is a number of dishes from our lounge menu, and I am sorry that you were lead to think this.

Thank you for your kind comments about the friendly staff, and I am sorry that you felt you could not take up our offer of another visit with extra treatments, once the maintenance issues were resolved. I can only give you my sincere apologies as I believe our Duty Manager issued a full refund, as on that day he could not make any better of a situation totally out of our hands.

Tyne and Wear
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2013 via mobile

Annually a group of friends and I have been having a couples night away.... When we seen this living social deal it ticked all the boxes!
The spa area was very busy and a little small for the size of the hotel and amount of people there... Locals use it too, (which I'm sure I would too if I lived in a village like that) down side was having to get dressed again to go get some food got lunch.
The rooms do need a little updating or even just carpets removed? We were in room 1 and it did have a strange smell.... One of our party had to be switched rooms as the shower was too cold, reception said they were end of the line so water can runout?
The restaurant on the evening and breakfast the next morning couldn't be faulted! Food was delicious!!!!
The stables bar was jam packed but a good atmosphere and cheaper beer than the hotel bar.... I'm not sure I'd return for a full price stay but would consider if it came on a deal again.

• Stayed January 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
James H, Front Office Manager at The Manor House Hotel, responded to this review, 4 March 2013
Dear glb006,

Thank you for the review of your recent stay at the Manor House Hotel. It is only with guest feedback that we can help improve the business.

I will pass your kind comments on to the kitchen and staff regarding your dinner and breakfast in the restaurant.

Please keep an eye out for any future offers we have. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2013

Stayed here having got a great deal with Living Social.. Very friendly and extremely helpful staff. Fantastic breakfast. Made the most of the swimming pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi. Had lovely treatments too. Couldn't fault it. Would thoroughly recommend. Thank you for getting my little girl and I's half term holiday off to a great start.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
The Honest Lawyer Hotel
Premier Inn Bishop Auckland Hotel
Headlam Hall Hotel Spa & Golf
BEST WESTERN Whitworth Hall Hotel

Been to The Manor House Hotel? Share your experiences!