“Pleasant stay”

The Manor House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in West Auckland
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We stayed here for one night on a Living Social deal. Staff very friendly and very easy check in. Deal included massage which was very nice although the masseuse seemed to be very miserable in their job, The girl on reception at pool was very pleasant and friendly. Pool OK with sauna, steam room and jacuzzi but not a very big area. Bedroom quite small with a reasonably sized bathroom. Shower in room 2 is very large, although I was unable to alter the temperature of the shower which was extremely hot. Nice comfortable double bed - although a king size would be better as that is what we have at home. Carpets light coloured and stained. Creaky floor boards in corridor and bedroom. Stairs a bit dangerous when you go through the door at the top as the first step is very close to the door. I would be very surprised if at some time someone had not fallen on them.
Dinner in the evening was very nice. Breakfast was a little chaotic with cold toast.
We would stay here again at the price we paid but it is not worth the full price.

1  Thank jrhameikle
James H, Front Office Manager at The Manor House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2013

Dear jrhameikle,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Manor House Hotel.

I am delighted that you had a pleasant stay. I am glad that you found the staff in the spa helpful and friendly, and enjoyed your massage.

With regards to the comment about the stain on the carpet in room 2, may I offer my sincere apologies, and please be assured that this has been addressed, and our housekeeping team have cleaned the carpet fully.

I have passed your kind comments on to all the management team, and staff.

We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

There are newer reviews for The Manor House Hotel

Reviewed 31 October 2013

We booked via living social. This was b&b with use of the spa and a 25 min massage plus bottle of wine in room.
Positives: the hotel is full of character, hotel staff very nice, good massage, good steak and chunky chips.
Negatives: no wine on arrival, but was rectified , tired decor , poor spa area with plastic sticky loungers and the jacuzzi was out of bounds. Red wine was average and the £6 cheese platter was very basic.

The package cost £90, this would have been a more reasonable price with an evening meal included.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jason D

Dear Jason D,

I am sorry that on this occassion you felt your stay was disappointing, however I am pleased that you appreciated the character of the building, enjoyed your massage, and found the hotel staff very nice.

I am sorry that the wine was not in your room on arrival, but I am glad that somebody rectified this quickly for you.

The package you were on, cost £89 and included an overnight stay for two, full English breakfast,of a spa treatment each a bottle of sparkling wine in the room on arrival. This is an amazing offer, even without dinner.

We hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

stayed here with a group of friends,rooms are v clean,facilities far too many people booked in to enjoy the pool and sauna and jacuzzi so we were sat outside most of the time,good job the weather was nice.The evening meal was excellent drink prices in bar a bit over priced but the norm for a hotel.Spa treatments very good and the girls that work there including restaurant staff make the place.Breakfast once again excellent fab choice,when we came to check out they tried to say we hadnt paid for 2 rooms and said we owed 400 pounds my god,we d bookedthrough spa breaks and paid through them,they had no paper work and we didnt have ours,wasnt too much fuss but you d think a place that does it week in week out would be on the ball.I ts no good for a romantic break for couples but good value for a girlie break away,

Room Tip: bottom rooms are best
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Hi Deb40sunderland,

I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay.

May I first apologise that during your time in the leisure club, the pool and jacuzzi were busy, and you felt that you could not enjoy use of the facilities. Sometimes, especially when all of our residents wish to use the facilities at the same time it can seem a little crowded.

I am sorry for the mix up on check out with your invoice. The receptionist should have known this was to be sent to spabreaks.com . I will investigate this matter, and try to ensure this does not happen again, but as I am sure you can appreciate, sometimes small mistakes happen. However, I am pleased it was resolved quickly with no fuss.

I have passed your kind comments on regarding the staff in the spa and restaurant, and we hope we get to welcomg you back in the future.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Booked this via a living social deal so was good value for money. The hotel is quite remote, located a few miles from the A1 and in the middle of farm land - ideal for a few quiet nights away. There are also some charming villages around - we did a tour and got some nice knick knacks to take home.

Upon arriving at the hotel, it's not immediately clear where to park, but we found it and was impressed with the medieval looking building. Staff on reception were slow to greet us, but we got in and to the room without any issues.

I'd paid an extra (£20) to have an upgrade to a four poster room and was quite disappointed with it. It was literally a normal bed with bits of wood sticking up from it to make a frame. No ornate carvings on the wood or drapes - I asked about this and apparently they get dusty and have to be cleaned more often. End of subject!

The room itself was fine - very old and a touch tatty, but lots of space with a huge bathroom and good quality, older, furniture. It was very comfortable and we got an excellent night's sleep. The room overlooked the gardens next to the reception. Oddly, we got a key to the room and an external (to the room) toilet, then another key to the actual bedroom with ensuite.

We were told that there was no wifi in room, but it worked perfectly fine - maybe as we were so close to reception. I couldn't get it to work elsewhere in the hotel however.

Having a wander round the hotel, it's full of old world charm, the library is good use of space and the lounge was very comfy with lots of chairs and secluded spots to sit and talk. We found the restaurant eventually (it's not very well signposted) and had an excellent meal - the waiting staff were attentive and the food brought out quickly and obviously fresh - all the courses were excellent (and we mentioned we were there for a birthday treat, they brought out a slice of cake - nice touch!)

You need to go out of the hotel to the spa, and it's very good - a well heated swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room as well as a gym - all included in the price of the stay. Exceptional value.

While the all inclusive aspect was good, the extras you get with a hotel stay were a touch more expensive than other place in which I regularly stay.

Breakfast was decent and well cooked, although the staff were not as professional (we asked for scrambled eggs, they forgot it and then stomped off with the fried eggs on the plate without any comment) There was also a lot of it - we had the cooked breakfast, but there was a huge choice on offer, with one hotel guest trying everything!

It's a pretty nice hotel, and different. It's well out of the way and refreshing and a good place to relax, especially with the spa facility. It does need some refurbishing in areas - the sofas in the lounge were past their best to say the least for example.

Would we go back? Probably not, while some of the staff were very good (Ben in dining was excellent) there were 2 or 3 who were not interested in the guests and it showed (IE when I asked about the four poster) I also felt there was a push on what can we sell you rather than the guest.

It was okay, and we enjoyed it as a one night birthday stay, but it needs some money spent on general upkeep, and maybe in consistent staff training then I'd consider staying again.

Not for us I'm afraid.

1  Thank Mike R

Dear Mike R,

I am glad that you appreciated the old world charm of the hotel, and enjoyed dining in our restaurant, and found the waiting staff very good.

May I first apologise that you were not greeted by our receptionist as fast as you would have liked. It could have been that they were on a phone call to a customer in another room, however this has been addressed.

With regards to your comments about the four poster beds. Our four posted beds are pictured on our website, we do not describe them, or picture them with any drapes. On check out you did mention this to me, and I explained that a lot of hotels have moved away from the fussy drapes, and that drapes do tend to collect a lot of dust, but as I say, if you had looked on our website you would have seen pictures of the beds. I am sorry you feel on this occassion this felt like I was "not interested" in your comments, however as I explained many people do like the four poster beds without drapes.

I am glad that you found the room spacious and comfortable. We do not gaurantee wifi in the rooms, only in our lounge areas, however obviously room 8 is close to reception and the lounge, and I am glad that you were able to pick it up from the comfort of your room.

I am sorry you feel you would not stay again.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

The hotel is superb. We stayed in the courtyard rooms. Although a bit small was adequate for our needs. The shower was large, two showers heads to choose from and the water was hot. The rooms were clean, and tastefully decorated, with coffee making facilities. The spa catered for our needs and was very relaxing. The staff were extremely polite and helpful and I couldn't fault them. We dined in the restraunt and the food was superb. I would definitely go back there and I would like to try and stay in one of the rooms in the main hotel. X

Dear Christine R,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Manor House Hotel.

I am delighted that you had a lovely relaxing time, and enjoyed dining in our restaurant.

I have passed your kind comments on to all the staff and the management team, and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel for my birthday. The room we had was a lovely four poster room in the old part of the hotel. This hotel is a bit dated and could be a lot nicer if there was more attention to detail during cleaning, our room was full of cobwebs which could have easily been hoovered away in seconds.
Positives:
The staff were friendly and welcoming.
The food in the restaurant was lovely

Negatives: The pool area needs updating, even a lick of paint would brighten it up.
The spa treatment rooms were right next to the pool, which made it a noisy area to be in. It didn't make for a relaxing massage.

This place is full of character and could be lovely again, if it gets the TLC it needs.

Dear floraNewcastle,

I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay and appreciated the character of the building.

May I apologise that on this occassion you found cobwebs in your room. This issue has been addressed with the housekeeping team, to prevent this from happening in the future.

May I also apologise that during your treatments you found the treatment room to be noisy. Its not a comment that I have heard before, but please be assured that I will investigate this further.

We look forward to hopefully seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

Last minute business trip to the north east and my husband and I decided to stop over. We chose The Manor House Hotel for its old world charm and we were not disappointed. With a mix of modern facilities and a quiet relaxed atmosphere, it was just what we were looking for. The hotel staff were lovely, helpful and courteous at all times and we will definitely return. The food was nice and very reasonably priced. The leisure facilities looked modern and very clean but sadly we had no time to use them, maybe next time we can stop a little longer and get full use of all facilities. Our room was quiet small but immaculately clean and the bed was so comfy we slept really well. Thanks for a lovely trip. See you soon

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Helen L

Dear Helen L,

I am delighted that you had a lovely stay and appreciated the old world charm of the building. I am also pleased that you enjoyed dining in our restaurant.

I have passed your lovely comments on to all the staff and the management team, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Auckland
#1 of 1 in Coatham Mundeville
Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel
The Honest Lawyer Hotel
Best Western Whitworth Hall Hotel

Been to The Manor House Hotel? Share your experiences!