“Well worth the trip”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in West Auckland
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Well worth the trip”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Booked this trip through Living Social for myself and three friends as it was cheap did not expect the hotel to be up to much as I have stayed in many hotels in my time. The hotel is steeped in history and has great character, it then opens up to a modern spa and the bedrooms inthe stgables block are very modern, clean and contemporary. The staff were friendly and helpful. the restuarant was well appointed and food reasonable. We went in the stables bar wihch was friendly and warm and comfortable. We really enjoyed our stay and are recommeding with to friends and family to try this local little gem. Will stay there again and soon.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Rachelangj
James H, Front Office Manager at The Manor House Hotel, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear Rachelangj,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Manor House Hotel.

I am delighted that you and your friends had an enjoyable stay, and enjoyed making use of our modern spa facilities and dining in the restaurant. I am also glad you liked our newly decorated courtyard bedrooms.

I have passed your kind comments on to the management team, and all of the staff, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future!

James Hart

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Washington
Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

Booked a living social spa deal for two treatments and a two course light lunch. I arrived to be given a gown which had an item of someone else's property in the pocket which was shocking enough, then we went to dinner to find the ladies sitting next to us saying she actually had someone else's lipstick stain on her gown. We had our treatments if that's what you could call them, a twenty minute shoulder tickle is what I would prefer to name it as. I then got left in the room alone or ten minutes all for another therapist to come into the room and perform a facial on me which again I was not impressed with. Facilities where lovely but I'm afraid I wouldn't return in regards to the treatment. On the bright side the lunch was okay.

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Aps218,

Thank you for taking the time to review your spa day at The Manor House Hotel.

I am sorry that when you arrived, there were some mix ups with the dressing gowns situation. This has been addressed with the spa manager to ensure this doesn’t happen in the future.

I am also sorry that you did not enjoy your treatments on this occasion. We do not claim to get everything right at The Manor House, however we usually receive very positive feedback about the treatments and our therapists who are fully trained and experienced.

Travellers are raving about these West Auckland hotels

Northumberland National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Friend and I purchased a spa break which included a 30 minute treatment. We found the bedrooms have no sound proofing and could hear the guests above us walking about all night. The pillows were like blocks of concrete so between waking through discomfort and the noise above, got little sleep. Looked forward to half hour treatment which only lasted 15 mins. complained but were assured we had full 30 mins despite pointing out the time on their clock showed nowhere near 30 minutes had still not passed from leaving reception to start treatment and the time of the complaint and that we had had time to get dressed and have cigarette in between. Very disappointing break.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear SUMO831,

Thank you for taking the time to review your spa break at The Manor House Hotel.

I would like to offer my sincere apologies that on this occasion you feel you had a disappointing break.

I am sorry that you could hear walking from the guests in the room above. As I am sure you can appreciate this is a very old historic building, and from time to time, you may hear some floorboards creak.

I am not sure why your treatments were only 15 minutes? The spa treatments included last 25 minutes. If you had brought this to my attention during your stay I could have dealt with this.

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

My partner and I stayed at this hotel on Friday 22/11/13 it was birthday present for him. It was an absolute disaster from start to finish. On arrival the receptionist was very unhelpful and had a couldn't care less attitude she gave us the room key, she didn't tell us about the leisure facilities where the restaurant was or what time breakfast was. When we went into the room all we could smell was smoke we are non smokers so were not prepared to stay there The room was very tatty and looked like it hadn't been decorated for 20+ years I went back down and told Miss unhelpful that it stunk of smoke there was no apology all she said was someone must have been smoking in the room, but I think we had already worked that out for ourselves. We were moved to another room the smell was better but the standard of the room was terrible we had one teaspoon between us and one packet of biscuits between us there were no shelves or surfaces around the sink and the mirror to put any toiletries in the bathroom there was a high windowsill above the bath which was far too high to reach.
The bed was very uncomfortable and the pillows very hard it was the worst night sleep ever. At breakfast the waiter and waitress were covered in tattoos very tasteful I ordered kippers and what a surprise out came ONE lonely little kipper sitting in the middle of the plate the whole experience was an absolute disgrace. I did complain to a different and very nice receptionist the next morning she took my details and promised the manager would contact me Im still waiting not surprised at that though. I wouldn't visit this hotel again if they paid me too. There was one good side the bar was ok until we went to bed as we were right above it and kept us awake till all the revellers retired.

Room Tip: Don't go for the 4 poster room that is number 8 and try to avoid the ones over the bar
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Annep190832
James H, Front Office Manager at The Manor House Hotel, responded to this review, 30 November 2013
Dear Annep190832,

I am terrbibly sorry that on this occassion you did not enjoy your stay. Please be assured that I have just returned from holiday Thursday 28/11/13, and have been investigating your comments that you left at reception on departure, and then posted on trip advisor a couple of days later.

May I first apologise that your room smelled of smoke when you checked in. The hotel operates a strict no smoking policy, and I do not know why your room smelled of smoke, but can only apologise for this. I am pleased that the receptionist managed to change your room for you. All of our bathrooms have shelving and places for your bathroom toiletries so I am not sure what you meant by this comment.

I have spoken to the restaurant manager regarding your issues at breakfast, who sends her apologies you were not happy with your breakfast. We have also put in place stricter dress code policies which require all tattoos to be covered up, in the event that anybody else finds them distasteful,

I can only offer my sincere apologies, we do not claim to get everything right at the Manor House Hotel, and it is only with guest feedback that we can aim to improve our business, but I am deeply saddened that you feel that we did not get anything right for you.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Booked a Living Social Deal for £89 which included a spa treatment for two. Arrived at hotel had upgraded to a four poster bedroom for £20 extra.The place was tired and worn looking... I know the theme was meant to be 'land of prince bishops' but the place could def do with some general updating. Room was big enough but the four poster was a small double and the sheet wasn't fitted and the mattress protector visible. Carpet was worn there was quite a lot of dust and about five spiders webs with spiders... There was dust of the extractor fan on the toilet lid not to mention the hot cold indicator missing off tap. The toilet didn't flush well and because of the location of the room was there was a smell of grease wafting into the ensuite. Went for the spa treatment 25 mins worth it wasn't exactly exhilarating...or refreshing!! Breakfast next morning the waft of fat smells permeated around the dining area...wouldn't go back unless it has a refurb!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nadia B
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2013

My husband and I live a few hours away, and have stayed at this hotel for weekend breaks probably between 8-10 times over the last 3 years. The staff have always been helpful, kind, and fun, and there's a lovely atmosphere about the place that keeps us coming back. The food served in the restaurant is consistently delicious (favourite dish is definitely the lamb shank, as well as anything served with their fantastic chunky chips.) My favourite way to unwind is to sit in their guest lounge, in front of their massive fire, in a cozy couch with a novel and a glass of wine. We had always enjoyed the laid-back, old world feel of the hotel, and had often admired the Knight's Hall ballroom used for functions.

In 2012, when we were considering venues for an evening wedding reception, we were lucky enough to find an available date at the hotel. I was very excited about this, as I'd been telling my friends for years how much I enjoyed the venue. We booked in advance and were able to reserve the entirety of the main house for our guests. The staff were very helpful, even arranging the room allocations of our guests so that relatives and close friends could be placed in rooms adjoining one another. The staff was very helpful in allowing us to choose a fantastic buffet menu for our reception, accomodating several dietary needs, and assisted us in decorating the Knight's Hall, which looked fantastic. The food was great, and the late-night cheesy-chips buffet that they organized was very well received! Our guests made sure to arrive early in the day so they could enjoy an afternoon in the spa and the stables bars before our evening reception, and many guests spent part of the next day with us, enjoying the last of the autumn sunshine, relaxing with a few drinks in the gardens outside. It was an extremely memorable evening, and several of our friends have remarked it was one of the loveliest wedding receptions they had attended.

I highly recommend the upgrade to one of the four-poster rooms, as they are large, and very nice. The staff are always so friendly, and have always helped us with any requests or needs we've had. Rumoured to have been one of Henry VII's hunting lodges, the building is definitely old, unique, and full of character, but to me that's what makes it so charming and so much fun.

Room Tip: I feel like the upgrade to the four-poster rooms is worth it, as they are quite large and full of ch...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear ResplendentQuetzal99,

Thank you for taking the time to review some of your recent stays, and your wedding day at The Manor House Hotel.

I am delighted that your experiences with us have all been excellent, and even more delighted that you chose to have your special day here.

I am glad that everything ran smoothly, that you enjoyed the food and found the staff friendly and attentful.

I have passed your kind comments on to all of the staff and the management team, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon!

Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

I'm sure this hotel trades on its past glory and Spa, as I was left feeling very disappointed after my recent stay. I was given very little information on arrival and when I walked across the courtyard I discovered a tired and boiling hot room with broken thermostat. I had dinner in the bizarre Stable Bar which featured a large tv, blasting out the sort of music videos you'd expect in a gym. There was no wifi in my room or the bar, so I tried to get on line in the main lounge bar where I was largely ignored for the next two hours and had to ring a bell to get served/ find any staff. The small double bed had last been used by an elephant and the mediocre breakfast was then served up by a scruffy youth, covered in tattoos. Needless to say I won't be heading back...

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear AlanBuckley48,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Manor House Hotel on tripadvisor.

I am sorry that on this occassion you did not enjoy your stay. I am unsure which room you stayed in in the courtyard, but I can assure you that all of heating can be turned up or down. If you had contacted reception they would have been able to assist you with any difficulty you had controlling this.

We do not advertise wifi in our rooms at the moment, and that is something we are currently looking at, it is only available in the lounge, which is advertised on our website and all booking agents. If you ring the bell on the desk in the lounge, a member of staff will come and assist you with any questions you may have, or will serve you any drinks. I am sorry that you feel as though this was ignoring you.

I personally do not feel that any of the staff at the Manor House Hotel should be described as scruffy, but sorry you felt this way, and sorry that you will not be returning to the hotel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Auckland
Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel
Headlam Hall Hotel Spa & Golf
Best Western Whitworth Hall Hotel
The Honest Lawyer Hotel

Been to The Manor House Hotel? Share your experiences!