“Short break” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in West Auckland
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Short break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

I have now stayed twice at The Manor House and can highly recommend it.
All the staff are friendly and helpful.
The food and accommodation are great. The on-site spa offers a full range of treatments in recently upgraded facilities. There is also
swimming pool available for residents.
Well worth a visit and will definitely go back again.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Julial1971
James H, Front Office Manager at The Manor House Hotel, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear Julial1971,

I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay, and found the staff friendly and helpful.

I have passed your lovely comments on to the management team and all of the staff, and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

James Hart

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

I booked a mid week spa break directly through the hotel, the booking experience was fine and easy to complete, I did read some of the reviews before going which seemed mixed. We found the hotel no problem and the parking was ample. On entering the reception the staff were pleasant and helpful and we were given our room 45 minutes early which was great until we entered the room to find it had not been cleaned and was not ready on returning to the reception they stored our luggage until the room was ready, as we were early this was not really a problem. The hotel is very old and authentic and what I expected for the age. Our room was ok, it was quite large and relatively clean, however cold for the whole of our stay. We relaxed in the spa which is very small but ok, there is very little seating in this area. I was very disappointed with our spa treatments which were shoulder, back and neck massage, this was advertised as 30 minutes however was over in just less than 20 minutes which included going to the treatment room and changing! In the evening we had a table booked in the restaurant, we selected the scallops to start although they were cooked well there were very minimal and bland, the main courses were chicken and steak both poor value for money and very average, we asked for a garlic butter sauce with the steak and got a small jug of melted butter less any garlic what so ever, with this in mind we declined any desserts. The lounges and bars were very quiet but relaxing. The beds themselves were comfortable however they are in disparate need of new pillows as these were a form of memory form pillow which were the hardest pillows I have ever come across leading to us both having stiff necks the following morning. Breakfast was average but again minimal with a quarter of a slice of black pudding, and a under cooked egg! Overall not great value for money but not the worst hotel I have stopped in, just don't expect to much, I don't thing I would stop again sorry !

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Paula D
Dear Paula D,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Manor House Hotel. We really do appreciate all comments, whether good or bad, and use them to improve our business.

Firstly I am delighted that you found the reception staff friendly and helpful upon booking, and when checking in to the hotel. I apologise that you were given the key to your room 45 minutes early when it wasn’t quite ready. I have undergone some more training with all our receptionists to ensure that this does not happen again.

I am sorry that the room was cold, there are heating controls in the rooms for you to change the temperature, and if you were still cold, reception could have had extra portable heating brought up for you.

The back neck and shoulder massages are advertised as 25 minutes, which is why they may have seemed shorter. We allow 5 minutes for guests to get dressed and undressed.

I am disappointed that you didn’t enjoy your meal in the restaurant. If you had let us know on that evening we would have put this right for you.

I am glad however that you found the lounge and bar relaxing, and the bed comfortable. I am going to investigate your comments regarding the pillows with our head housekeeper.

Sorry to hear that you would not return to the hotel. If you do change your mind, and see any improvements we have made then please contact me directly and I will ensure you have a much more enjoyable stay and help restore your faith in the Manor House Hotel.

portsmouth
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

My friend and I, both in our 80s, were looking forward to spending our Christmas at the Manor but on arrival we were so disappointed. We booked this hotel through a tour company and at no time were we made aware that our room would be on the top floor of a converted Stable at the rear of the hotel, which meant that we had to walk across a very slippery and muddy courtyard for all our meals and entertainment.

The public rooms in the main building were cold and uninviting. As it was Christmas you would expect a roaring fire at least in one of the beautiful fire places but no, so we were unable to relax and enjoy the characterful rooms. We had to return to our room to keep warm or sit in the very busy and noisy Stables Bar.

The food in the restaurant was fair, although I was unable to eat the beef on our first evening. The staff were poorly trained and unprofessional in their delivery of the food. It felt like a Butlins holiday camp with the staff shouting our orders across the room when they should have been allocated a number of tables to serve. Hence by the time our table received all the meals they were lukewarm.

We were also looking forward to walking through the hotel's landscaped grounds mentioned in the brochure. We never found them and what little outside space existed was poorly maintained..

At the end of the break we were so stressed and disappointed that we wished we had stayed at home.

Room Tip: Be aware that there are many stairs in this hotel and uneven floors due to its age.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms

Travellers are raving about these West Auckland hotels

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

We went for a spa day, which was really cheap on a deal we purchased, I didn't expect it to be very good at all but was pleasantly surprised. I found the spa facilities very clean and modern and the treatments themselves were very good. I would definitely return!

• Stayed December 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear LouB90,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent spa day.

I am delighted that you had a good day, had enjoyable treatments, and enjoyed making use of our spa facilities .

We look forward to hopefully seeing you again very soon.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

We stayed here for my sister's wedding and while the hotel is beautiful, the experience wasn't the best. We sat at reception for about half an hour with no real clue what the hold-up was for our room, as we arrived well after check-in time. It took so long to get anything, and no-one seemed to know anything when we asked what was happening regarding wedding organisation.

The wedding was beautifully done but the bride and groom inexplicably had no room when it came time to go to bed. Their things had been taken by the staff from a room they were getting ready in, and put in another room which the night manager had no idea about. They had no rooms available so ended up giving the bride & groom an old room that is never used for guests, which had no toiletries in the bathroom, smelled like mould and looked to have not been decorated for about thirty years. My sister woke up without her glasses or clothes, and had to phone round friends and family to try to track down where her things had been put, as the hotel staff had no idea. We finally realised that the staff had put all of her belongings into someone else's room during the wedding. Needless to say, my sister was devastated; it's not exactly what you dream of for your big day.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
James H, Front Office Manager at The Manor House Hotel, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear Rosemary1983,

Thank you for taking the time to review your sisters wedding day at The Manor House Hotel.
I am glad that you found the hotel beautiful, and I do know that the day and the evening reception went well.

I can only apologise for the mix up with your sister and her husbands room, which I know the wedding co-ordinator was made aware of, and your sister did receive compensation for this.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

We arrived and parked round the back after following the signs. We then had to walk in the pitch black up the side of the hotel and round to the front. Reception staff was friendly but didn't give us any info just our key and told us our room was across the courtyard. We had no idea where we were going and wandered around for quite sometime till a nice lady who worked there showed us our room. The room was nice but sadly no Internet and the tv didn't work, it was quite late so we didn't look at restaurant and bar areas though passed through them and they did look very nice. Unfortunately the sleep was very poor though outside the window was some kind of refrigerator thing and the central heating must have been old because it was very noisy. All in all ok.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Kin3,

I would like to inform you that our lights at the back car park have now been sorted after the temporary problem during your stay.

I am sorry that the member of staff on reception at the time didn’t give you enough info. This isn’t the usual standard of check in service, and I will be doing a lot of retraining on this subject.

I am unsure why your TV was not working, however if you had reported this to reception we could have dealt with this situation easily for you, and unfortunately we do not currently advertise wi-fi in the rooms, however it is something that we are planning on for 2014.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

We purchased a spa weekend through living social ... It was a bargain for what we got but would have been disappointed if we'd have paid full price.
Hotel clean but very tired in places
Staff seemed friendly and helpful ... Breakfast could have been better but was adequate.
Would go again but only if on offer.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Cayenne1812,

I am glad that overall you had a good stay, and found it value for money.

Please check our website and our facebook page for all our latest offers and deals, and we look forward to hopefully welcoming you back in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Auckland
The Honest Lawyer Hotel
Premier Inn Bishop Auckland Hotel
Headlam Hall Hotel Spa & Golf
BEST WESTERN Whitworth Hall Hotel

Been to The Manor House Hotel? Share your experiences!