“Spa weekend with my daughters”

The Manor House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in West Auckland
Stockton on Tees
“Spa weekend with my daughters”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

Only half an hour away from us, but we found this hotel and spa purely by accident. We booked an overnight stay for myself and our two daughters. We stayed in a family room across the court yard. First impressions,the main hotel is absolutely stunning. Medieval with dark wood and beams. Large fireplace, creaky wooden floors.....gorgeous, just gorgeous.

Went straight to the Spa, had our treatments. Girls were lovely. Chatty and made you feel at ease. Once we had our treatment, we checked in. The room wasn't huge but really adequate. Warm, clean, good size clean bathroom. One double bed, one single and a bottle of wine, chilling. Again, the rooms had beams, not original, but appropriate. The building, I think, is a converted stable. Very light and airy. We went across to the main hotel for our evening meal. We were seated in a lounge area with a huge fireplace.......might need to visit during a winters day to see if the fire is ever lit. We had our orders taken, then walked round to the dining room. The room was very spacious, light and airy. We were seated looking out into the garden. The food arrived.....looked and tasted delicious. Not huge portions, but filling all the same. Once we'd eaten, we sat back in the lounge area.

Had an ok nights sleep. Room was very warm and we had no heating on. My only complaint was we could hear the small group of women in the next door room, having a very good laugh and with the floors being so creaky, we could hear every step walked. Fortunately, it didn't last that long, an hour or so .

Next morning, we went across for breakfast. Again, excellent choice of food. Full English, continental, muffin and scrambled egg, salmon and scrambled egg. Yogurts, fresh fruit, cereals, tea, coffee and juices. Served swiftly by yet more friendly, helpful staff. Cooked breakfast served on hot plates.....a huge thumbs up as far as I'm concerned.

We checked out as soon as we had breakfast and finished the rest of our stay in the spa.

The spa area consisted of a good size pool, spa pool, sauna and a steam room. Robes and towels were provided. The gym was upstairs. Didn't visit the gym, so can't comment on it.

We finished the day off with a little round of sandwiches and a scone each. Again, lovely. We had a choice of fillings. The tea came on a two tier cake stand. Sandwich on bottom with salad leaves, coleslaw and crisps. Top tier had the scone, cram and jam with a separate dish of butter.

The whole weekend, including two spa treatments, cost just £130 each....can not fault it what so ever and will definitely be going back for more visits. Perfect place to visit as a couple or with friends.

Room Tip: Everything is provided in the rooms apart from flannels
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
AngelaThomas, Front Office Manager at The Manor House Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear VickyT1967,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Manor House Hotel. I am delighted that you and your daughters had an enjoyable spa break with us.

I have passed your lovely comments on to the management team and all of our staff. We look forward to seeing you again, very soon.

James Hart

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
Durham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

We booked this spa day via Living Social. Thought it was value for money. 2 Course lunch, 25 minute treatment and use of the spa facilities. The main hotel building is full of character, couldn't fault that. We had the 2 course lunch in what I guess is the main dining room; again lovely decor but the single waitress was a little rushed to say the least. None of the tables were fully set so I found myself making up the cutlery on our table from the unoccupied surrounding tables. When I asked for a cafetiere the waitress looked at me gone out and proceeded to offer me a cappuccino, latte or americano! When my americano arrive the cup was half full and cold! I had to ask for hot water to make it drinkable. The food was below average.For starters I had cod goujons served with thai red sauce. The 3 goujons were clearly frozen and deep fried and the thai red sauce was little more than mayonnaise with paprika sprinkled in to make it red in colour. My main was chicken with bacon and cheese and a BBQ sauce. The chicken was dry, the bacon salty but thank god the portion was small! It came with 3 petite boiled potatoes and a sad salad.
The spa facilities are well below average compared to the numerous ones I have visited in the past. The changing rooms are tiny and out of date. The ladies lockers were out in the corridor due to 'recent renovations'. The locker I had didn't lock so I had to put my handbag in my husbands locker for safe keeping. The spa area itself was tiny and again in dire need of renovation.
All in all I am glad I booked this as a deal. Had I paid full price I would have been sorely disappointed. Take some advice and beat a hasty retreat!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Shildon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

Went here for a one night stay with my partner, and didn't disappoint! Service was quick, friendly and personal, room was warm, tidy and clean and the breakfast was lovely too! The only thing that would be helpful would to have information in the room about breakfast, spa and a wifi password (but that's being picky!) very good value for money, will certainly be staying again.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Melissa R,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Manor House Hotel. I am glad that you found the service friendly & personal, and the rooms comfortable & tidy.

For the next time you stay, we do have information in the compendiums in all of our rooms.

I have passed your kind comments on to the management team and all of the staff. We look forward to seeing you in the near future.

South Shields, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

Me and my husband went a week ago for my husbands birthday we had a spa day can i just say the staff were second to none.Than we decided to stay for the night with dinner and breakfast which was excellant.Our room was very clean when we read some or the reviews on trip advisor i understand that we cant make everyone happy if you want five star treatment than pay the prices life is to short people could end up not having a job through idiots ?????? would be going back thankyou.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Melanie d,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Manor House Hotel. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay.

I have passed your lovely comments on to the management team, and all of the staff. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Sunderland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

Let me just make it clear that me and my bf are not fussy people at all, and the issues we had were only small.

Rooms are massively spacious, probably biggest room I've ever stayed in, lovely big bathroom too. Only issue was the water in shower which was ridiculously hot as well as a VERY wobbly tile which I found myself tripping over several times. I did not report this as we were there for one night otherwise I would have said something. They must know about it it would be impossible not to!

On the night we were tried turning tv on and took bloody ages to try fix it,. Called reception and a lad came straight away and tried his best to fix it but in end we said not to worry and to leave it (we ended up fixing it ourselves eventually!) The bed was very comfortable but everything in the hotel creaked. The floors, the bed, the stairs, it had my nerves on edge!!

We used a voucher off group on and were given a free treatment and free breakfast. Both were really nice, breakfast was gorgeous, lots of choice from cereals to cooked ones.

We went to restaurant on night, the food was nice, however, the portion sizes were shocking! For the price! We both ordered mushrooms and were given three of the tiniest shrooms we have saw in our lives. For the price this is in. No way value for money!

Overall, I would recommend this hotel for its attentive staff, beautiful grounds and facilities and still rate it with 4 stars it was just those small issues that I needed to mention. If like us u prefer more modern hotels then I wouldn't stay here, its very historical and while some may find that appealling, this was just not our thing but know many people who would enjoy this! Try it for yourself!

Room Tip: Pay for a modern room!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Stefflet
Dear Stefflet,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Manor House Hotel. I am delighted that you had a nice stay.

Firstly I would like to apologise about the issues in the bathroom. I have been to investigate the comments regarding the shower and loose tile in the bathroom, which I am now pleased to report has been fixed.

I have passed your kind comments on to the management team and all of the staff. We look forward to hopefully seeing you again in the future

Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

I stayed at the hotel with my daughter for a birthday treat, overnight stay with spa. I found the stay enjoyable, everything fine, room clean and warm and spa was lovely, the girls are really nice, had a nice swim in the pool as well. We had lunch when we got there as too early to check in, very nice with a pint of San Miguel !!
We did not eat in the restaurant going instead to the pub over the road, The Eden Arms, food really nice there too !
The only thing that spoiled our stay was the noise during the night.....
We were in room 33, so the people in the room nearest ours should hang their heads in shame. There was shouting and screaming, banging doors, running up and down the stairs until 2am, not really what you expect after a lovely day. I was going to go out to them but you never know what might happen these days.
All in all, would go back but hopefully be in an area where the neighbouring guests are ready for a quiet nights sleep, as me and my daughter were !!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear susan5134,

I can only apologise on behalf of the guests in the room next door for the noise. If you had phoned down to reception we would have contacted the guests to solve this matter for you

I have passed your kind comments on to the management team, and all of the staff. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Leicester
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

We stayed there last night and would never consider staying there again. The room was cold, around 14C, even though the thermostat was at 25C, the staff were less than attentive i.e. we always had to go and ask them to clean away plates etc and to get more drinks. They had a coachload of elderly people staying and 'entertainment' had been laid on in the restaurant which meant it was impossible to hold our business meeting dinner in there so we had to eat in the bar, which was very inconvenient. Nothing was mentioned to us when we booked the restaurant in advance?

To cap it all, we had a room at the front of the hotel with curtains that did nothing to block the huge floodlights that lit the whole of the outside of the hotel all night. No sleep, felt dreadful in the morning.

All in all, totally unprofessional.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Jim2752,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Manor House Hotel. It is only with guest feedback that we can aim to improve our business.

I would like to apologise for the entertainer in the restaurant on the evening you stayed with us. The large group who were dining with us had requested entertainment. If you had booked a table before you arrived at the hotel we would have informed you of this. If you had also informed us when you came to dine in the restaurant it was for a business meeting, we could have suggested a time after the entertainment had finished.

Upon check out you mentioned nothing about the temperature of the room, however did mention the light coming through the curtains from room 7. As explained, there are shutters behind the curtains to block out any excess light.

I have passed your comments on to the management team.

Travellers are raving about these West Auckland hotels

Premier Inn Bishop Auckland Hotel
Park Head Country Hotel and Restaurant
Headlam Hall Hotel Spa & Golf
The Honest Lawyer Hotel

Been to The Manor House Hotel? Share your experiences!