“Relaxing day”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in West Auckland
Durham, United Kingdom
“Relaxing day”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I was treated to a spa. Day by my best friend which proved to be a great experience . The hotel is very old but still has lots of character and quirkiness. The back and neck massage was very relaxing and the towels and robes sort and fluffy . The pool facilities were also good. We had a twin room in main hotel overlooking the front gardens ,tastefully decorated and very comfortable.the restaurant was very pleasant and airy and the quality of food excellent. All staff were very friendly and helpful . With a choice of bars and a gym covered all our needs.

Room Tip: Make sure you book all spa treatments needed in advance as they were soon booked up.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
James H, Front Office Manager at The Manor House Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear Barbara M,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent spa day at The Manor House Hotel.

I am delighted that you had a relaxing and enjoyable day with us.

I have passed your lovely comments on to the management team and all of the staff.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

James

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Just got back from an overnight stay. This was my 2nd visit to this hotel. The first was a spa day earlier on in the year with the girls! Then a return with the hubby for a pamper treat, both booked with living social and most excellent value for money.
I was eager to see what the hotel accommodation was like. Upon arrival at the hotel reception we were given an alternative room! A lovely 4 poster bed large room ensuite in the old manor house itself. The deal we bought included B & B for 2. Back, shoulder and neck massages, full access to spa facilities a free bottle of wine with a 2 course meal purchased at hotel restaurant
I wasn't disappointed, in fact pleasantly impressed. Looks like a lot of funds have been reinvested, since my first visit there is a marked improvement in the presentation of all aspects of the hotel. It's an ancient building with a homely feel the staff are so pleased to see you.
So glad we stayed and experienced this mysterious building, go see for yourself!
Would go back for a longer stay and explore the local area!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Roynaa
Dear Roynaa,

I am delighted that once again you had an enjoyable time with us, and made use of all of our facilities.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

This was our 2nd stay and was very good. We stayed in room 9 this time which was huge compared to the previous room we had in stable block. Only down side was this room was very hot one radiator would not turn off and one window would not open. Food was amazing and well worth the money. Will definitely return.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Rachel D,

I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay, and found the food to be amazing.

I have passed your kind comments on to the management team and all of the staff. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Lancashire
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed my stay here. It was like staying in a stately home. I wanted to walk down the stairs in a long Edwardian dress! It dates from the 12th century so has wide shallow stairs complete with suit of armour. Yes, the floor boards creak and are maybe not level but this adds to the joy of the place. My room (33) was very spacious and very clean. I chose this hotel as it has the adjoining spa. (as I was alone I thought this would be a good time filler). Pool, Jacuzzi, sauna and steam room clean. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. Although I only stayed 1 night, the area looks nice and I would recommend this hotel to friends and family and will definitely stay there again if in the area. I only had the continental breakfast, there was plenty choice but I don't feel I can comment on the food in general. I personally found it very warm and had to turn off the radiator in my room and open the window. I also heard others commenting on how it was too hot. (maybe the staff could turn the heating down 1 or 2 degrees and save themselves a few pounds).

Room Tip: I was in room 33. It overlooks the back of the hotel, at night there was slight noise from possibly...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Examiner666,

I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay, and appreciated the historic character of the building.

I have passed your kind comments on to the management team, and all of the staff. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Peterlee, Co. Durham
Reviewed 28 April 2014

After reading the mixed reviews didn't really know what to expect, but from the moment we arrived till we left, I felt the staff really made us feel welcome .. Daniel showed us around was very polite, friendly and helpful we ordered coffee and cake before we entered the spa.. once in the spa the décor is a little tired and needs some attention.
We had a very nice meal in the hotel and then our treatments started I had back and shoulder massage and nail file and polish with Claire my massage was one of the best I have had and lovely file and polish .. Claire was very friendly and professional.
As we bought this on a special offer it was worth the money.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cath196
Dear Cath196,

I am delighted that you had an enjoyable day, and found the staff friendly and professional.

I have passed your kind comments on to all of the staff and the management team. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

we stayed over night whilst child free. the room was nice and staff friendly. however, noisey doors slamming at 5am meant i didnt get back to sleep. had a bath and saw i had 5 bites on my leg, like mosquito bites, very itchy.....bad drain smell too. food was bland and cutlery needs replacing. would not eat there again. i am suffering with these bites, perhaps bedding needs attention.

• Stayed April 2014
AngelaThomas, Front Office Manager at The Manor House Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear kezzababe,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Manor House Hotel. I am pleased that you had a pleasant stay.

May I first of all apologise that you heard banging of doors at 5am. We have put some new hinges on the public doors to ensure they close more gently for future guests.

With regards to the comments about the linen, I can assure you that the linen is laundered by a professional laundry company, however I will pass your comments on to them. We have not received any other complaints of this nature.

I have passed your comments on to the management team and all of the staff. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

James Hart
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

i came for my 30th in February had a great time so decided to stay again for my friends birthday this weekend 26th April for 1 night we stayed in a twin room in the main hotel room 33 it was a great spaces room which was clean n beds were really comfy. we had a 3 course meal which was beautiful i had the chicken goujons for starter and my friend had tomato and basil soup was nice for main i had the mixed grill and my friend had lasagna and we both had portiterroles with salted caramel sauce for dessert they were to die for yum yum we stayed for a Sunday 3 course meal that was nice too the staff were great and friendly but want to thank Gary the chef the most cause i have food allergy's and he sorted what i could eat ect which he done the first time i stayed 5 star to him

Room Tip: room 33 for 2 people and room 27 for a family
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear madhouse30,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Manor House Hotel. I am delighted that once again you had a great time, and had lovely meals in the restaurant.

I have passed your kind comments on to the management team, and all of the staff. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

James Hart
Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel
Headlam Hall Hotel Spa & Golf
Best Western Whitworth Hall Hotel
The Honest Lawyer Hotel

Been to The Manor House Hotel? Share your experiences!