“Very Rude Staff”

The Manor House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in West Auckland
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We stayed for 2 nights, the second of which was a wedding at the same venue. On arrival the rooms were eventually made available to us minus the extra beds we asked for. Room was big/spacious and kept that very medieval feel which I liked, though you wondered whether the floor would give in with each step and it was quite clear the carpets are decades old. After an argument with reception for the beds to be brought up we were only really back for the wedding.

The guests arrived for the wedding and were left to wander around with no instruction from the staff. There was meant to be a punch reception but the trays were not handed out, they were hidden beside the venue room which people were asked to leave when they arrived.

I had to ask staff to pour a glass of wine for the bride and groom ~10 mins after they arrived and bottles of white were left to get warm out on the tables. The food was good, no issues here and there were a few good staff members who did perform well during the event.

Fast forward to the residence bar ~1am. A room full of hotel guests were told that there would be no more service because the night staff member had to prepare for a wedding the next day. The groom asked him about attending to the wedding guests he was currently supposed to be servicing and he shut the bar doors.

In order to keep people entertained, I fetched (the bride and grooms) nibbles from the reception room to give out to the guests in the residents bar- the same night porter was sitting in the (clean) room, he told me to get out or he'd have our drinks confiscated.

Swimming pool was lovely and the spa staff were nice but I could not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Alan M
There are newer reviews for The Manor House Hotel

Reviewed 12 May 2014

passing through this lovely hotel with a friend
we decided to have lunch and dine here must say the food was excellent the hotel lounge was lovely and cosey the dark haired waitress was very friendly and smiley and made us feel very welcome we even commented on the young girls hairband very smartly dressed overall excellent food and a warm friendly place we decided to get some leathlets on the spa and maybe a over night stay at this lovely hotel so hopefully be back very soon

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank caseyh h
AngelaThomas, Front Office Manager at The Manor House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear casseyh h,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to The Manor House Hotel.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your lunch, and found the waitress very friendly and smiley.

I have passed your comments on to the management team and all of the staff. We look forward to welcoming you back for your spa day very soon!

Reviewed 9 May 2014

I was treated to a spa. Day by my best friend which proved to be a great experience . The hotel is very old but still has lots of character and quirkiness. The back and neck massage was very relaxing and the towels and robes sort and fluffy . The pool facilities were also good. We had a twin room in main hotel overlooking the front gardens ,tastefully decorated and very comfortable.the restaurant was very pleasant and airy and the quality of food excellent. All staff were very friendly and helpful . With a choice of bars and a gym covered all our needs.

Room Tip: Make sure you book all spa treatments needed in advance as they were soon booked up.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
James H, Front Office Manager at The Manor House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear Barbara M,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent spa day at The Manor House Hotel.

I am delighted that you had a relaxing and enjoyable day with us.

I have passed your lovely comments on to the management team and all of the staff.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Just got back from an overnight stay. This was my 2nd visit to this hotel. The first was a spa day earlier on in the year with the girls! Then a return with the hubby for a pamper treat, both booked with living social and most excellent value for money.
I was eager to see what the hotel accommodation was like. Upon arrival at the hotel reception we were given an alternative room! A lovely 4 poster bed large room ensuite in the old manor house itself. The deal we bought included B & B for 2. Back, shoulder and neck massages, full access to spa facilities a free bottle of wine with a 2 course meal purchased at hotel restaurant
I wasn't disappointed, in fact pleasantly impressed. Looks like a lot of funds have been reinvested, since my first visit there is a marked improvement in the presentation of all aspects of the hotel. It's an ancient building with a homely feel the staff are so pleased to see you.
So glad we stayed and experienced this mysterious building, go see for yourself!
Would go back for a longer stay and explore the local area!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Roynaa

Dear Roynaa,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Manor House Hotel.

I am delighted that once again you had an enjoyable time with us, and made use of all of our facilities.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

This was our 2nd stay and was very good. We stayed in room 9 this time which was huge compared to the previous room we had in stable block. Only down side was this room was very hot one radiator would not turn off and one window would not open. Food was amazing and well worth the money. Will definitely return.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Rachel D,

I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay, and found the food to be amazing.

I have passed your kind comments on to the management team and all of the staff. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed my stay here. It was like staying in a stately home. I wanted to walk down the stairs in a long Edwardian dress! It dates from the 12th century so has wide shallow stairs complete with suit of armour. Yes, the floor boards creak and are maybe not level but this adds to the joy of the place. My room (33) was very spacious and very clean. I chose this hotel as it has the adjoining spa. (as I was alone I thought this would be a good time filler). Pool, Jacuzzi, sauna and steam room clean. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. Although I only stayed 1 night, the area looks nice and I would recommend this hotel to friends and family and will definitely stay there again if in the area. I only had the continental breakfast, there was plenty choice but I don't feel I can comment on the food in general. I personally found it very warm and had to turn off the radiator in my room and open the window. I also heard others commenting on how it was too hot. (maybe the staff could turn the heating down 1 or 2 degrees and save themselves a few pounds).

Room Tip: I was in room 33. It overlooks the back of the hotel, at night there was slight noise from possibly...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Examiner666,

I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay, and appreciated the historic character of the building.

I have passed your kind comments on to the management team, and all of the staff. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

After reading the mixed reviews didn't really know what to expect, but from the moment we arrived till we left, I felt the staff really made us feel welcome .. Daniel showed us around was very polite, friendly and helpful we ordered coffee and cake before we entered the spa.. once in the spa the décor is a little tired and needs some attention.
We had a very nice meal in the hotel and then our treatments started I had back and shoulder massage and nail file and polish with Claire my massage was one of the best I have had and lovely file and polish .. Claire was very friendly and professional.
As we bought this on a special offer it was worth the money.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Cath196

Dear Cath196,

I am delighted that you had an enjoyable day, and found the staff friendly and professional.

I have passed your kind comments on to all of the staff and the management team. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Auckland
The Honest Lawyer Hotel
Lumley Castle Hotel
Lumley Castle Hotel
#5 of 18 in Durham

Been to The Manor House Hotel? Share your experiences!