“Disappointing spa”

The Manor House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in West Auckland
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I booked this hotel as part of a living social spa break for a friend and me. I have to say the whole spa set up left a lot to be desired, no internal access to treatment rooms, had to walk over the 'courtyard' in the rain! We had our massage, not very relaxing or good for that matter, the pool is tiny and freezing, there was no where to sit at poolside (2 loungers and 2 chairs) as it was busy, about 20 people, the facilities or lack thereof, a small jacuzzi, steam room and sauna which were all over crowded. Ended up cutting our "relaxing" day short, evening meal was awful and had to return meal twice, as hair on first meal and chicken not cooked through on second, ended up leaving it in the end as chicken had men microwaved and now rubbery, tiny veg portion, barely enough for one person!
Breakfast next morning not much better.
The twin room was comfortable but only got enough hot water for one of us to shower.

Needless to say I will never go back to this place unless things drastically change for the better!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank nikkiib_9
AngelaThomas, Front Office Manager at The Manor House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear nikkiib_9,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay in October at The Manor House Hotel.

I am sorry that you were not happy with your stay and found the spa area to be overcrowded on the day you stayed with us.

It is difficult for me to investigate these comments from October as several months have now passed, however we appreciate all guest feedback on tripadvisor and use it as a training tool to improve our business.

I am terribly sorry to hear that you will not be returning to The Manor House Hotel. I have passed your comments on to the management team.

James Hart

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Very disappointed with stay at the Manor House which was a present bought for me. In an Annexe which had squeaky very noisy floorboards. Room skirting boards were covered with dust as were the door panels which immediately put me off seeing that we had stayed at a spotlessly clean Premier Inn 4weeks previously. One of the pillowcases had blood stains on and the curtain net had what looked like birds droppings on. Bathroom tiles grouting was dirty. Went for breakfast at 8.10 no milk for cereals, had to ask and was brought a tiny jug for 2 people.It was obvious staff were not prepared for breakfast.
If Hotels want repeat business how can they expect guests to put up with uncleanliness and poor customer service?

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
AngelaThomas, Front Office Manager at The Manor House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear Veola

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Manor House Hotel

I am sorry that you were not entirely happy with your stay. We appreciate all guest feedback, both good and bad. It is only with this feedback that we can aim to improve our business.

May I first apologise for the service you received at breakfast. Please be assured that the breakfast service issues have been addressed to make sure that they are FULLY prepared as soon as they open.

With regards to the cleanliness issues, and the dust on the door panels? I have personally been round with our head housekeeper and checked these, and couldn’t identify a problem when we went round. However I have asked housekeeping to ensure these are kept on top of. I don’t think you can compare a grade one listed building with a lot of original features, nooks & crannies to a new premier inn with simple fixtures and fittings. I appreciate some people may prefer the modern style more, and this should be a factor that is considered when choosing a hotel.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

While the Manor House promised much for a friend's wedding, it was badly let down by the staff and the food. We were served beef with over-cooked frozen vegetables that I found inedible. Then after the ceremony, in the resident's bar, despite the bride and groom being promised that they'd be "taken care of", the bar tender (on his own discretion) stopped serving at 1.30am. He refused to listen to any of our protests and threatened to call the police if we kept complaining, despite everyone remaining very civil and calm throughout this ordeal. It was a discraceful way to treat a wedding party.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank TJHooker1969

Dear TJHooker1969

I am sorry that you were not entirely happy with your stay. We appreciate all guest feedback, both good and bad. It is only with feedback that we can aim to improve our business.

Firstly, in regards to the comments about the night porter closing the bar early, I would like to offer my apologies. The night porter on duty is fairly new, and through no fault of his own, genuinely thought he could shut the bar to do room set ups. This is not the case. We do offer 24 hour service for hotel residents, and all night porters are now aware of this.

I would also like to assure you that the vegetables served were not frozen, and any problems or comments you had with the food, should have been mentioned to the waiting staff or manager on duty who could have helped rectify these. We received no comments about the food from the wedding party

Reviewed 2 June 2014

This was the second time we have stayed here and this time took my parents who loved the place. Got full use of the spa too thanks to LivingSocial, one nights B&B inc spa facilities for £19.50 each you just can't grumble. Great place to stay, I have never had any issue with noise here, we stayed in room 22 in the stable block, big room, en-suite, very clean if not spotless. My only gripe is alongside other travellers that the rooms are so hot during the night it's hard to breath!, my own fault really as they have now installed boxes on the wall so you can control the heating which is a welcome addition to the rooms. I missed breakfast due to eating something not quite right in another establishment and was totally sick in the morning, but my other half enjoyed the breakfast, but did comment that the portions were very small, which was a bit disappointing. We would go back here, but for a night it's a long journey from Bury and back again the next day, would love 2 or 3 nights to really explore the area though I did get to visit the beaches at Seaham despite the downpour on the Wednesday... would recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: Room 22 - nice big size.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear ChrisBelinda

I am delighted that once again you had an enjoyable stay with us! Sorry that you didn't get to have breakfast this time, Maybe next time!

I have passed all your comments on to the management team, and all of the staff. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

My partner and I stayed at this hotel as part of Living Social Deal. There were some problems with the original room we were meant to be staying in so we were moved elsewhere. The room we were allocated resembled staff living quarters- the decor and furnishings very outdated. We then had a couples massage - which was not good at all. My partner was put in a spa room however I was put in the room (looked like a waiting room) just off the swimming pool. It was incredibly noisy and there was no way you could relax. I did feed this back to the therapist. During our evening meal I ordered a specific meal that corresponded accordingly with my allergies- althought the waitress rang this through to the kitchen my food arrived completely wrong!
At this point I just left the food...
The hotel looks beautiful from the outside however it is such a let down inside. The staff were friendly and helpful however we would not return to this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear WinterWarmers

We appreciate all guest feedback, both good and bad comments, and use these to improve our business. I am sorry you were not entirely happy with the room you were in, and didn't find the treatment to be relaxing.

I offer my apologies that you feel your dinner order came out completely wrong. If you had let the waiter/waitress know they could have sorted this out for you.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Pamper break bought by family member as a mothers day gift and travelled with a friend. Lovely old building with loads of character. Warm welcome from reception, plenty of information and very helpful. The spa was very relaxing, plenty of tables and chairs and the receptionist couldn't do enough for us. The massage was excellent and we weren't hurried in any way. If I had one tiny criticism it is that the pool walls aren't that clean. Room 26 nicely set out and everything you could want except ventilation. Very quiet and peaceful and extremely comfortable beds. However, the small window that actually opens a fraction is far too small and the room was so hot sleeping was impossible, and, although there is an extractor fan, the bathroom smelled a bit musty. We had an excellent meal in the restaurant - faultless, as were the staff who were very attentative, but it all turned a bit sour at breakfast. We were told it finished at 9.30 and arrived in the restaurant a little after 9. It was quickly pointed out that we'd sat down at a table set for dinner - fair enough we moved. However, the waitress, not in the best of humour, fetched crockery and cutlery and proceeded to clatter and clash it onto a nearby table. Our breakfast order taken, we had to ask for bowls and glasses as they'd been cleared away from the cereal table and our cooked breakfast was put in front of us before we'd finished our cereal - we actually had to hold the bowls in the air to finish them! We heard the waitress remark as she slammed through the kitchen door 'why do people come down late' - this was at 9.10!!!!! My scrambled egg was dry, the smoked salmon was not in the least appetizing and we were not offered toast. We left the room at 9.20 and there were still 4 people sitting - obviously didn't feel as uncomfortable as we did. All in all a lovely experience spoiled and because of it I'm not inclined to return.

Room Tip: Avoid room 26 - little ventilation - very steep stairs up to it.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Martha5100

Dear Martha500,

I am delighted that you had a good time with us, and found the staff in reception and the spa to be very friendly and helpful.

I offer my sincere apologies with regards to your comments about breakfast. I assure you that this matter has been dealt with!

With regards to your comments about the windows being too small in your bedroom, it is a grade one listed building, built in the 1400s. The windows are part of the original character of the house that cannot be changed due to building regulations.

I have passed all your comments on to the management team, and all of the staff. I am sorry that you feel you would not return due to the breakfast service. However I assure you if you do return you ill see a big improvement from the experience you have described.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

The good..... Lovely old building athe front gradually modernising at rear, but not in a bad way. Friendly staff, reasonable sized room, clean and everything one might need. Menu and drinks reasonably priced. Breakfast choices good and service reasonable, one waitress was conspicuous by her especially friendly manner and efficient way of working.

The not so good... On Arrival, The stunning inkwork on the receptionist was a little out of place with the ambience of the hotel. I am all for personal choice but perhaps a long-sleeved blouse would be more appropriate for working front of house? We had specified a ground floor courtyard room as travelling with our dog, Penny, (Founder of Golden Paw awards :-) When receptionist directed us to room on first floor, I mentioned this and was told "Oh, it is only up 4 steps" Clearly this young woman has no mobility issues, nor was she accurate, it is ONLY 4 steps once you have reached first floor, which is up 13 steps! Nuff said! We arrived at 7pm and hadnt booked dinner, but we were not informed of dining choices - i.e restaurant or bar, nor times of service. We had to ask. Having settled in bar and looked at wine list, I confidently ordered the rose pinot grigio only to be told there was none in the bar! Perhaps in an ideal world a phone call or 10 steps across the courtyard might have sourced a bottle? but no offer forthcoming. Ordered meal - Fish n Chips with mushy peas and Bacon Loin, Fried Egg, Salad and chips. This arrived quickly with garden peas instead of mushy, minus the salad and possibly a little dusty and tepid(?) having ben brought across the courtyard uncovered! I mentioned the problems with the 'sides' to be advised "well I can take them back and change if you want" I declined this rather ungracious offer . The Breakfast as previously mentioned was ok, but a bit disorganised and somebody might remind staff to never go back to kitchen empty handed rather than leaving cereal fruit /bowls and and cutlery on tables when delivering cooked options!. Different receptionist on check out, pleasant enough and I mentioned a couple of my concerns, which she said would be looked into. We will see if there is a follow up.

With a little bit more proactive work from the management and team,I think this could have been, fab, rather than just .ok

Room Tip: If you want a Ground floor room that is really on the ground floor - specify Courtyard 21. Penny is...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
AngelaThomas, Front Office Manager at The Manor House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear CinquantNeuf

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to The Manor House Hotel.

I am delighted that you appreciated our lovely old building, found the staff to be friendly, and found our rooms to have everything you might need.

I am sorry that you did not get the ground floor room that you required, however we did only have notes that you required a courtyard bedroom, and with only three ground floor rooms we didn’t have any available when you checked in. I am sorry that our receptionist informed you it was only 4 stairs, when in fact it is 9 stairs to the room you were staying in. This was the lowest floor we had available. The receptionist who checked you in is fairly new to working on reception, and on this occasion forgot to ask if you would like to book a table, sorry about this. I have since stressed the importance of giving guests all the information required as part of the hotels check in procedure.

I have passed your comments on to the management team and all of the staff. Hopefully we will see you again in the future and you will see an improvement in the areas you have mentioned.

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Auckland
Park Head Country Hotel and Restaurant
Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel
The Honest Lawyer Hotel
Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County

Been to The Manor House Hotel? Share your experiences!