“Disappointed!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in West Auckland
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
“Disappointed!”
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

We booked a living social deal for my husbands birthday as the reviews were quite good! Nearer the time we checked the reviews again and were shocked to see some really bad reviews. As it was booked we decided to make the most of it. On arrival after waiting to be checked in we were given our keys. We found our room and were shocked to find it was dirty, the bed wasn't made, coffee cups and glasses were dirty and bins were full. We were on our way back to reception when the young girl on reception came running towards us with another key! When we eventually were shown the correct room it was as expected, nothing extravagant, old, but not too bad.
We had a 25 minute treatment as part of the deal and asked if this could be upgraded but were told this wasn't possible. Although short the treatments were good and staff friendly and professional. The pool etc was nice but again, nothing special.
Our evening meal and breakfast were nice, the restaurant was clean and nicely decorated. The rest of the hotel however was lacking in atmosphere and we returned to our room for an early night!
Luckily we had a surprise BBQ planned for my husband when we returned home as the hotel break was very average!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Durham
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Have just returned from a fab Spa Day with another friend. We arrive around 9.45 and had a facial and an Indian Head Massage for one hour followed by a chill on the comfortable padded outdoor furniture on the terrace. Lunch at 1.00 was extremely good value and very tasty indeed. Another treatment: Full Body Massage for one hour in the afternoon. Didn't even touch the pool (which grant it is small) or the steam/sauna rooms which I know to be good. Have experienced a deal some time ago the Hotel emailed us the offer. A huge BIG thank you to my Therapist Jess who was great. Hope the hotel pay you well as you are excellent.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank October84
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Myself and my partner had a very relaxing one night stay. The room was lovely, the staff were friendly and helpful, the food in the restaurant was good and the atmosphere was very welcoming. We were fortunate enough to have sunny weather during our stay which meant we were able to sit outside and enjoy the sunshine and the lovely surroundings. We used the spa and had a treatment and this only added to an overall enjoyable experience .

Room Tip: This was our second stay at the hotel and we have been pleased with both our rooms. During our most...
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Stayed Saturday night on Livingsocial deal with my wife. Although the hotel and bedroom was quite dated, the spa was lovely and thoroughly enjoyed the stay overall. The staff were friendly and the breakfast was great. Didn't eat at the hotel on the evening as took a short taxi to Bishop Auckland with a selection of pubs and restaurants. If I had one gripe it was the shower - Hardly any power and took ages to warm up. Other than that a lovely stay and great value.

Room Tip: If staying again I would prefer a room in the new bit.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Stayed sat night lving social offer good value for money.had a courtyard room as had dog with us.room lovely but was very warm through night and couldn't open window much.we found service ok although ran out of ice for drinks and didnt havd couple of things on eve menu.also no dog bowls with water and meant to be dog friendly.weather good nice area to sit outside spa was ok had my nails done.overall nice stay

Room Tip: Only stayed in courtyard rooms good size
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
AngelaThomas, Front Office Manager at The Manor House Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear ruthj,

I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us, and you were pleased with your spa treatments.

I would like to apologise for running out of ice during your stay. This is not usual, and do have three ice machines on the premises! However to make sure this doesnt happen again we are putting extra provisions in place.

I would also like to apologise that there was no dog bowl for you. We do have them available at the hotel, as we love our four legged friends. I am unsure how many pets were staying during your stay, but I am buying some more dog bowls this week.

I have passed all your lovely comments on to the management team and all of the staff. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Huddersfield
Reviewed 22 June 2014

A really interesting hotel with old and new buildings mixing well together. The original part is a rabbit warren of corridors and rooms which is fascinating! The newer parts of healh club and stable bar are blended in well. Eat in the restaurant and the food quality was excellent and not too expensive. Staff are very friendly and helpfull - always a smile. Our room was at the top of the hotel (34 I think) and was massive! An entrance room with sofa and a table and chairs leading into the bedroom proper with very comfortable bed and excellent shower room then up a small step into another seating area with sofa, chairs, writing desk and large TV on the wall. This room was at the front of the hotel overlooking the main entrance. In June it was fine but I would imagine in winter the room gets cold as the windows in urgent need of replacing!

1 Thank R0y123
Dear r0y123,

I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay and found the building to be interesting. I am glad that you had an excellent meal in our restaurant.

I am pleased that you liked room 34, and I am going up with maintenance today to investigate your comment about the window.

I have passed your comments on to the management team, and all of the staff. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

North East England
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

What a disappointing stay. I booked for me and my daughter as an end of exams treat, and got what seemed like a good deal. But my 8 year old decided she wanted to come and this cost me an extra £30 which is extortionate for an extra camp bed in a bedroom. We had a nice time in the spa - already had low expectations of this from reviews on here but this was a pleasant surprise - the sunshine definitely helped! Massage was average - not even any music to create a nice atmosphere so all I could hear was the sounds from the swimming pool, I couldn't relax and was pleased when it was over. There was a police drug raid during the evening, with dogs, and my 8 year old is terrified of dogs so didn't appreciate being sniffed while we were trying to enjoy an evening drink in the pub garden, and then the bedroom was stifling, too hot to do anything. My daughter asked twice for a fan for me as I am pregnant and felt really quite ill, but there weren't any, and my daughter had to sleep on the floor due to me needing to lay on the bed on my own. I would have left in the middle of the night had I felt well enough to drive but I was so hot I felt dizzy. No apology or offer of compensation at all from the staff when I told them how awful the room was at checkout, even the girls mentioned it. Breakfast was lovely, but didn't make up for the awful night sleep we all had. We stopped for a large cold drink on the way and had a nap when we got home, 8 year old too!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank stargirl72
Dear stargirl72,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Manor House Hotel. We appreciate all guest feedback on trip advisor, as we find this a useful tool to see areas that need improving and for staff training.

I am sorry that on this occasion you felt your stay was disappointing, however I do feel the need to comment on some of your feedback..

On the night you stayed there was a routine visit from the police (who check all the bars in the Bishop Auckland area) to ensure that no drug use was going on. This was not a raid, they simply came with the dogs to check that there were no drugs on the stables bar premises (as they did with several other venues that night). We have a very strong drugs policy at the hotel, however we are pleased that the local police also help by doing these checks.

I appreciate that the room was very hot on the evening you stayed, and I know you requested an extra fan in the room, which I am pleased one of the reception team provided for you. It was a very hot evening, and we cannot control the temperatures outside. When you checked out, it was actually me who checked you out, I asked if you had enjoyed your stay. The only comment that we received was from your 8 year old daughter about the temperature, which I did apologise for and mentioned it was a very warm night. Unfortunately I cannot take a comment from an 8 year old as a formal complaint.

I have passed your comments on to the management team.

Travellers are raving about these West Auckland hotels

Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel
Headlam Hall Hotel Spa & Golf
Best Western Whitworth Hall Hotel
The Honest Lawyer Hotel

Been to The Manor House Hotel? Share your experiences!