“Very Quiet Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in West Auckland
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Very Quiet Hotel”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This overnight stay was bought as a gift so can't complain. The staff were very pleasant but hotel was a little tired looking. Enjoyed the spa treatment and use of facilities but changing rooms looked a little grubby. Had a lovely evening meal and from speaking to other guests everyone else had enjoyed it also. The weather wasn't very nice so didn't venture very far but to be quite honest didn't seem very much to do.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This is a lovely old hotel, with beams and creaking floorboards, plenty of atmosphere, but at a very keen price. Top marks for friendly attentive service, also cleanliness of the rooms and the pool area are also excellent. We only had the breakfast as it was part of our deal and we were also quite happy with the content. If this place is fighting for survival its doing a grand job, the deal we got was exceptional for the price including a treatment, we will definitely be back.

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Had a deal which hotels should be using to promote for future custom. It is a very old building so character features and we were in the stable block and the rooms had a bit more of a modern touch which we prefer. But very small and lack of attention to detail, no where to sit out your toiletries, tiling in shower seriously needing cleaned up, can't understand why hotels don't keep grouting white (good scrub does the trick) evidence of leaking so additional sealant added which was also mildewed.

Poor response to being given a bottle of white wine that was not chilled...waitress took it away to stick it back in fridge for a little while!!! we sat looking at each other, 5 minutes later she brought it back and stuck it in ice bucket....had to tell her it was no colder. She advised all bottles were the same in fridge, so I told her the fridge needs looking at. Had to go and complain formally and were then given a 'chilled' bottle of chardonney.

At breakfast dirty tables not cleared quickly, stood waiting for one to be cleared only to then sit looking at another with half of someone's breakfast on it, waitress came to our table several times before bothering to take it away. Request for another pot of tea acknowledged by waiter then he promptly forgot as he went into kitchen and it never appeared.

Gave up, packed out bags and checked out. Will we return....no, not even on a deal, can get much better value else where. Poor wifi...free but you will be lucky if it supports your needs.

Staff need to get some training and to be supervised to work effectively.

Room Tip: beware of clashing of doors if you opt for stable location and your bed will be very close to the do...
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here for one night hoping for some recuperation time after a camping holiday. We were both happy with our room, my girlfriend loved the antique décor. Moreover, it was clean and the bed was very comfortable. However, the room was very warm and we both struggled to sleep because of this. Also, the floorboards are very creeky (to be expected in such an house), so it's a little awkward walking around at night!

All of the facilities (gym, sauna, steam room, jacuzzi and pool) were good and well maintained. The pool and gym are a little on the small side, although the latter had everything needed for a good workout.

The back massage was definitely the stand out point of this hotel, we were the last appointment so we thought it might be a case of 'let's get this over with as quick as possible'. This wasn't the case; we both enjoyed it very much and would definitely return for treatment.

As part of a deal we booked (Wowcher) we were entitled to any breakfast on the menu. We both opted for a full English. The young man who served us was very polite and the breakfasts arrived promptly. I'm nitpicking now, but the other member of staff who delivered our food might have been more cheerful. From what I tasted the food was good, however, after some exploring I rather unfortunately discovered a very suspicious looking hair beneath my mushrooms. Setting my food aside I waited for a member of staff to come over. Unfortunately I waited 30-40 minutes, until I caught the young man's eye. I did have the feeling I was being avoided because I had left my food. I explained why I hadn't ate the food, and he sounded genuinely apologetic, I was asked if there was anything else on the menu I wanted and he also returned a couple of minutes later to ensure there was nothing else I would like.

I realise hairs in food can happen anywhere, but I was still disappointed at losing my appetite. So, had it not been for the whole hair in my breakfast thing I would have given this hotel 4 stars. Some people might think that's a little harsh, but I can only judge the place from the short time I was there. The package we received was definitely good value for money, I think we paid around £100. I would recommend this hotel if you find a similar deal; just for the spa! However, I would never pay to eat in the hotel restaurant, prices looked rather expensive and we opted to eat at the Red Alligator, which was fantastic!

Sunderland, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We visited here after getting a deal on LivingSocial and we have to say it was worth it. Me and my Mam stayed for 2 nights which included one massage each, breakfast and late check-out. We arrived a bit early so we had a walk around the grounds which are very picturesque and I love the old buildings the hotel is made up of. The entrance is very grand and there are plenty of features around that highlight the building’s historic past. There was a comfortable spacious lounge next to the entrance where people could sit and relax and could order drinks/food if they wished. There was also a small library just off this. The room was great, we had a twin room (room 26) which was very spacious and included a bathroom, TV, plenty of wardrobe/drawer space, desk, chair, comfy beds and refreshment table. I enjoyed the complimentary shampoo and shower gel which were useful if you had forgotten them, and there was a wide choice of refreshments including tea, coffee, flavoured tea, hot chocolate and a little packet of biscuits (although it was a bit difficult to share a pack of 3 biscuits between 2 people). The bathroom was clean and a decent size and the shower was lovely. We were situated across the courtyard from the health spa which was really handy as we could just nip across, however we were above the bar which was a bit noisy at times but not too bad. I liked the historic feel of the room as well, it had wooden beams in the ceiling, sturdy furniture and the floor was a bit wonky but it all added to the effect. Some people might have an issue of the buildings not being connected and having to walk between the spa, rooms and dining room but it didn’t bother us, and there was plenty of outdoor seating which we would have taken up on but it was raining at the time.

The health spa was very nice and included a gym, sauna, steam room, Jacuzzi and swimming pool. I have to say the Jacuzzi was lovely but not very big so there were times where it was a bit busy but the early mornings and late evenings were quite quiet and the spa is open 7am-10pm. We didn’t try the gym but we sampled everything else, I would say the pool can be a bit small if you want to stay in the shallow end. There is also a water machine which you can help yourself to and sun loungers and seats where you can sit/lie and have a rest. We had to sign in each day and you get your towels. We were also given a comfy dressing gown as we were getting a treatment, but there is a £10 deposit for that which you get back at the end. Changing rooms are ok, and include toilets, free lockers, showers and a communal changing room. We tended to go back to our room in our dressing gowns which you could keep for your stay, as there wasn’t much room to get changed. We both had a 25min neck, shoulder and back massage on one day in the small room at the back of the swimming pool and the staff came to get you from that area. The massage was nice and relaxing and the staff were very friendly.

We had breakfast both days (served between 7-9:30am) and the dining room was very nice, especially the view in the conservatory part. As we had breakfast included, we could have the continental selection and the cooked breakfast. There was plenty to choose from in the continental selection and included cereals, jams, fruit, croissants, muffins, ryvita and yogurts. If we returned we would probably pay the £5 charge for this. We both ordered a cooked vegetarian breakfast which was ok but we wouldn’t have paid £8 which is the normal price. It had 2 vegetarian sausages, 1 fried egg (although you could choose between the types), half a tomato, mushrooms and beans, and didn’t seem very big. Also they brought the coffee and toast out before the breakfast was cooked, meaning they went cold before it arrived. We went out for our dinner as the prices here are quite expensive and there is a shopping area about 10mins drive away which we visited. We never went in the bar so I can’t say what it is like but it seemed quite cosy from the outside.

I have to say this place is a nice surprise as the local area around it is a bit run-down but we would definitely like to return as soon as we can as we really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here as a little treat on our way up to Northumberland to visit family. We can across by accident during an internet search. The hotel has a grand feeling and look from the outside and when first walking in to the reception are. Our first thought, which was confirmed during a walk round later that it didn't really fit into the local area. However, this does not take away from the service. We were given a friendly welcome, the room was of an average standard, we got a brilliant deal on this hotel which meant we got it almost half price, but we both agreed we would not pay the full price of the room.

We arrived late afternoon and went for something to eat in the Stable Bar, we were told the menu were the same so thought we would eat in a relaxed environment. The bar is a great location and has a good atmosphere. My girlfriend ordered a median style toastie, this was not as expected she described this as on cheap white bread filled with a unsatisfying chicken mexican filling. It was not worth the £8 something we paid for it, she would have been very disappointing if had this in the very appealing looking restaurant. I had what was described as chicken, chorizo and something else with a BBQ sauce. There was no Choizo or other ingredients described on the menu, this was just a chicken breast and BBQ sauce of a very average standard, nothing to the level they say they pride themselves on.

The room was nice, it had a TV, tea/coffee/hot chocolate making facilities with en-suite. The bathroom was tired, with a leaking toilet, cracked tiles and looked out onto the courtyard and the terrace where the spa guests were sitting, able to look right into the bathroom, with no frosted window. There was a blind there which has black mould on. The bed was comfy and we both had a good nights sleep.

All-round the atmosphere was a good one, however, the full price is too high for the standard it presents to guests.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Northants
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

We really enjoyed the hotel though didn't use the pool etc. So couldn't comment on that.

Lounge bar is great for pre dinner drinks. Food was lovely and the staff very attentive and polite. Would definitely stay again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Premier Inn Bishop Auckland Hotel
Park Head Country Hotel and Restaurant
Headlam Hall Hotel Spa & Golf
The Honest Lawyer Hotel

Been to The Manor House Hotel? Share your experiences!