The Manor House Hotel
Travelocity
Park Head Country Hotel and Restaurant(Bishop Auckland)(Great Value!)
US$80
US$86
  • Pool
US$236
Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel(Walworth)(Great Value!)
US$71
Hotels.com
US$73
US$71
Priceline
Premier Inn Durham (Newton Aycliffe) Hotel(Newton Aycliffe)(Great Value!)
Travelocity
US$49
HolidayInn.com
  • Restaurant
1,118 results
All reviewsspa treatmentsliving socialstables barhunting lodgesteam roomspa dealold buildingspa areaposter roomwowcher dealevening meallovely spalots of characterhealth clubstaff were lovelyovernight stayleisure facilities
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I had booked into a four poster room, which was fine, very clean and the bathroom was lovely. We ate in the restaurant, but the food was not great, the steak was cold and the sea bass was rather dry and overcooked. I had to change my chair in the dining area, as the one I had been sat at was far to low for the table. We didnt manage to get any sleep as our room was The Thomas Hardy Suite, opposite the lounge, and there were guests in the lounge being very noisy and laughing, so we left at 2am, which was a shame after paying for the night, but we were so tired and needed to get some sleep. Will not stay here again.

1  Thank whisperingjo
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Visited 21st Aug using a Livingsocial voucher which was for an overnight stay in a double room, breakfast and two back, neck and shoulder massages. First downside was the room we were put in ! A small attic room up two flights of narrow rickety stairs..first time I've struggled to stand up in a room! With ceiling beams we had to duck under every five mins, a sloped side wall on one side meaning we had to walk on an angle , and the same in the bathroom ..you couldn't stand up straight in front of the mirror of when you stood up from the toilet and only a hairdressing shower head due to the sloping wall!! Great room if you are 4'!! Felt like a room they shoved the people in with vouchers.. Although when we left why said they do have people who specifically request that room !? The whole place looks tired and in need of a spruce up. The spa looked like it needed a good clean and the treatments were ok but only lasted about 20 mina. I've had better massages.
The evening meal was good although they had run out of pie of the day..which was obviously very popular. But the free wine with the meal , inc in the deal was good. The breakfast however left a lot to be desired. Dry croissants and an average cooked breakfast with mushrooms that were out of a tin and anaemic bacon,
The one star I have given this hotel is for the staff who I couldn't fault. All were friendly and helpful but not an overall enjoyable visit

Room Tip: Don't pick room 35 if you are average height or you will be ducking and leaning your way around the room!!
3  Thank Biker794
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Lovely spa felt relaxed as we walked in. Not particularly clean and the whole place from the spa treatment rooms to the very odd 'waiting rooms' before the restaurant is bizarre.
Service is very good when I complained about my raw fish and chips it was immediately sent back. Unfortunately the whole dish (and my friends) was covered in salt. I mentioned this and they said they wouldn't charge me for it straight away.
The hotel needs a revamp but our room was clean to a point. There were cobwebs and peeling paint.
Would stay again but wouldnt eat here. I recommend walking over the road to the Eden Arms for food and drink.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I stayed here with my husband to attend an wedding near by, so the hotel served its purpose. I was disappointed with the very uncomfortable stay, the pillows were stiff, the quilt was so think for the summer months.

The bedroom was a good size for the two of us, but the main door into the barn kept slamming all night which kept us up. There was also such little light in the room which was a shame. The bathroom was also a good size.

Another positive was the spa was also included with the rate of the room.

We also dine in the restaurant at the hotel which to be honest was VERY disappointing, everything was just tasteless. The coffee just looked like dirty water. The service throughout our stay was fantastic.

Room Tip: Stay in a room which isn't near the door to the barn.
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We stayed at the Manor House hotel after purchasing a Living Social deal for a one night b&b stay which included a 25 minute Spa treatment.
We stayed in the original section of the house complete with its creaky , uneven floor and great charm, walking in the footsteps of Henry the Eighth.
Checkin was smooth & informative - our room was on the first floor & easy to reach.
The cleanliness of the room lacks attention to detail with spiders webs in the corners of the ceiling & in the bathroom.
We used the pool facilities which were small & cramped given the users there that day & enjoyed the 25 minute massage which left us feeling chilled & relaxed.
We ate dinner in the restaurant opting for a sirloin steak which was gristly & chewy & a rib eye steak that melted in your mouth - we received a complimentary bottle of wine.
After a great nights sleep we had a delicious breakfast & then checked out where there was a delay due to lack of staff
To sum up the Manor Hotel needs some TLC & an injection of cash