“Lovely activity day with the children”
Review of Cheshire Workshops

Cheshire Workshops
More attraction details
Owner description: A visitor attraction with gift shops, cafe and craft activities for all ages including candle making ceramic model painting Badge and key ring making Sand bottle filling Free ice cream throughout month of June with all activity packages purchased. (Yellow green and blue tickets)
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We have been here a few times and our children love all the activities. The staff are always very friendly and helpful, the cafe is quite reasosnably priced although i don't know why they cant offer real milk and tea spoons with tea and coffee instead of plastic stirers and uht disposable milk cartons but that is my only gripe. The play area outside is nice and everywhere is clean and tidy. The fixed priced activities make this an affordable day out and the kids love having there crafts to bring home.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

Having visited this place a very long time ago with a school party, I had fond memories of expert craftsmen creating THE most stunning carved candles, which could be 'made to order' or simply bought off the shelf in the shop - the one I chose is still going strong, I couldn't bear to light it as it is a work of art!!!! On that occasion I also witnessed a demonstration of how to make candles set in carved sand - again, expertly crafted.

I visited again recently, with a friend - how embarrassing! I had previously waxed lyrical (excuse the pun..) about the place and couldn't wait to show her the delights I had experienced. To say the place has changed dramatically is an understatement... Gone are the informative and entertaining masterclasses, the only creative thing on offer was for children - candle-dipping. To be fair, there were lots of children taking part in this activity and I am sure if you are in the area with young children and wish to 'kill' an hour or so, then this is for you - if not, then don't waste your time.

In the past, the shop stocked a wide variety of quality goods (mostly hand-crafted) but these days, in my opinion, most of the items could be described as over-priced tat! There were not many assistants in evidence but the one I found was particularly supercilious when I bemoaned the demise of the workshops, mumbling something about "Health and Safety"... Given that, all activities had been viewed from a distance, I couldn't quite see her point.

My friend and I had been hoping to eat there but after popping our heads around the door of the restaurant, decided against it. Once again, there were many families in evidence who seemed to be quite well catered for - in fact, it was heaving with extremely noisy pre-school youngsters and their mums! If you are after a quiet venue in which to enjoy a civilised lunch, then this is not for you.

In conclusion, I would say that this is an ideal attraction for very young children and their families - especially if they live locally - but if you don't fall into that category, give it a wide berth and certainly don't make a special journey to get there! Instead, avail yourself of the many stunning and varied attractions (and eating places!) in and around Chester...

4  Thank ChinnieD
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Excellent value for money, our grandchildren had a great time, we lunched in the restaurant and the choice of food on offer was excellent and very reasonably priced. The gift shops have some beautiful gifts all at great value.

Reviewed 21 September 2013

We had a split day out visiting the Cheshire workshops followed by the Ice cream farm. Having never been before and not sure what to expect, we were very pleasantly surprised. It has a wide range of unusual gifts all of which are good value. The soap shop is definitely worth a visit. The activities that you can do are varied and interesting, although when we were informed about the different packages we found this confusing. We settled on making candles and painting ornaments with our 2 1/2 year old daughter. Fun was had by all and the end products will make great Xmas presents! The staff we helpful and pleasant, however they needed more people serving in the cafe. The food in the cafe was excellent and very tasty with a good choice and generous portions. The cakes looked lovely too but we were saving ourselves for the ice cream farm later on! All in all it was a very good day out and we will definitely be returning.

Reviewed 30 August 2013

We visited Cheshire Workshops because we were due out in the Afternoon to a Family do and needed to kill time with the kids ( we live in the north of England and had to travel down the day before!). It was well worth it - for the few hours we were there

There is a selection of activities on offer that are creative and very child orientated (but us adults had a go too!) There was Model Paining upstairs and a few others like badge making which wee didn't do because of the time we had.

Of course, we all made a candle! There are two types on offer, of which neither are expensive, really. There was a bit of a queue, which we expected because of the Holidays, but we were seen to as quickly as possible with the amount of people there. The kids had a good time and they enjoyed the way the member of staff ran the activity too!

The candle making was busy, but I would not call it 'overcrowded' or 'rushed' like some reviews here have - but i presume it differs depending on the staff.
My only gripe would be that the heat in the candle making area was very apparent, and we were only there for (maximum) 25 mins. It could do with a few more fans down there - im not sure how the staff there cope!

As for the shop: we didn't look around much (again, due to time!) but from what I did see, it didn't appear to be to out taste.

The Staff were all very friendly and very willing to help throughout the time we were there.

We hope to go back in the future and try the other activities, hopefully with a bit more time so that the kids can do a few more of them.

If you are looking for a few hours out, that doesn't cost too much and for the kids to enjoy, its very good.

1  Thank LN101288