“Nice Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Scissett
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Nice Hotel”
Reviewed 19 November 2007

This hotel is set in a beautiful location. I spent one night here on business and found the staff very friendly. Room rates were very reasonable and the food in the bistro was very nice.

I would stay here again.

• Liked — Very nice grounds
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
east kilbride
Reviewed 2 April 2007

We stayed for two nights as part of a wedding party. Breakfast was very poor - don't ask for marmalade (you'll be disappointed !). We were in the 'annexe', which is separate from the main building and roughly identical to a travel lodge in fittings - i expected better for the money. The cleaning was suspect and a complaint from one member of our party elicited the response that 'if he didn't like it he knew what he could do'. Housekeeping staff left my daughter's room unlocked after cleaning and we had no hot water on the second morning. Don't think i'll be rushing back there.

• Liked — wedding dinner was very good
  • Disliked — cleanliness, breakfast
  • Stayed March 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
4 Thank jlek
Birmingham
Reviewed 31 October 2006

I fall for it every time.

The "country house hotel" web site, the glowing prose, the photos of rolling countryside.........

I stay in hotels about 50 nights a year for both business and pleasure, and on this occasion it was for business.

Yes, the grounds are beautiful, the building stunning and steeped in history..... and maybe these are important if you are there for a weekend on a romantic break or something. However, for business travellers, the agenda is somewhat different.

My room to be fair was huge, as was the bed. However, it was a bit like staying at your nan's. All the furniture was 1930's and the decor was definately 1980's. But fine. OK for one night.

I stayed on a chilly evening at the end of October. The very helpful man at reception helped me with my case to the room but then, astonishingly, dumped it outside in the corridor (is that just me being picky?). All the corridors were unheated and freezing, as was the room. To be fair, once I turned the radiators on, it warmed up in a couple of hours though. Went down to the bar and it was all a bit Fawlty Towers. One, exuberant but completely untrained, lady was serving drinks and serving the entire restaurant! She was doing her best, is all I can say there! I was rushed with indecent haste from the (unheated) bar into the (unheated) restaurant and force fed food at an astonishing rate! When you are on your own in a hotel, you like to make the bar/restaurant thing last all night -but here it was all over in 40 minutes!

It wasn't terrible or anything. But I wouldn't go back on my own money. I think the only reason I was there in the first place is that it seemed the best place in the area - so if push comes to shove, yes, I would go there again - but only if there wasn't anything obviously better. Maybe next time I will go a bit further afield to the Hollins Hall or something 20 mins down the road.

Stayed October 2006
6 Thank GillyHolidayJunkie
Marlow
Reviewed 14 June 2006

I booked this hotel simply because it was so close to my business appointment the following day however based on my experience I will stay there even if my appointment is further away.

When I arrived I was very very pleasantly surprised at how beautiful the hotel was. It is situated a few hundred yards away from the road in lushious grounds (the golf course) and is stunningly beautiful in that olde worlde England style. Very classy.

The service did not disappoint either. The young gentleman on reception was very friendly and helpful and pointed out the facilities (bar and restaurant). There is no lift which could make it a bit of trek for older guests.

The room or suite in my case was beautiful. Four poster bed, tasteful decor and a lovely bay window looking out onto the grounds and the beautiful yorkshire scenery in the background. Definitely worthwhile bringing the girlfriend next time.

And for those travelling on business there was even free Wifi internet access. Not fantastic speeds that you might get in the city but very useful and appreciated for basic browing and email.

Didn't see any facilities for youngsters or children.

Since I arrived late at night and had already eaten I did not try out the restaurant but I will make a point of doing so next time. I don't think I will be disappointed somehow.

All in all I recommended Bagden Hall highly, due to its beauty, its friendly staff, free internet access and lovely rooms. Business or pleasure I will stay there again.

• Stayed June 2006, travelled on business
7 Thank Julesybabes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scissett
Waterton Park Hotel
Tankersley Manor Hotel - QHotels
Cedar Court Hotel Wakefield
Cedar Court Hotel Wakefield
#1 of 1 in Calder Grove

Been to Bagden Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!