“A hotel hideaway”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ramsbottom
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“A hotel hideaway”
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Booked in here as we were visiting relatives in the area - it was in an ideal place but I was bothered by previous reviews re the accommodation. No need to worry - yes, its a little dated (patterned carpets etc) but the room we stayed in (34) was clean and had everything we needed for our 1 night stay. I always do a 'hotel inspector' on the bathroom and it passed. The view was good looking over the hills. We didn't eat in the restaurant in the evening, bot had breakfast - the room is very pleasant with exposed beams and pillars - the service was good and the full lancs breakfast was hot, freshly cooked and very tasty. Hubby had continental brekkie and the choice was large and well presented. The hotel is in an ideal position for walking up hills and is very close to the centre of Ramsbottom. All in all a pleasant mid week break - we will be re-visiting. Oh and the comment re the smell - it comes from the swimming pool which is right next to reception - unavoidable and not unpleaseant when you know where it comes from.

Room Tip: We had room 34 overlooking car park but also with views to the surrounding countryside and hills
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
J-Asher-Taylor, General Manager at Best Western Old Mill Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review on the Best Western Old Mill Hotel. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Aswell as the full lancashire breakfast that is cooked to order. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Vicky McLeod

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Maidstone, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Firstly, beware that 'sat navs' will take you round in circles trying to find this place and road signage is poor. When you do get there, the staff are pleasant enough, but the place smells slightly damp and the decor is 20 years out of date, it is not a welcoming reception area. The room that I had made me feel like I was in a mobile home (no offence meant to mobile home owners btw), it was small, untidy, cramped with an old creaky pine bed and tiny bathroom, all for £90!!!
The food was at best average too. I would not recommend this hotel for people who might have problems with access, the corridors are like rabbit warrens and the stairs are quite steep too.
All in all, like a few Best Western Hotels that I've stayed in, this is very poor compared to modern day standards.

Room Tip: Avoid room 12 and 14 if you can
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
J-Asher-Taylor, General Manager at Best Western Old Mill Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Guest,

I am I very disappointed to hear you did not enjoy your stay here with us at Best Western Old Mill Hotel, unfortunately as we are an Old Mill we have tried to maintain some of our original features such as the layout of the building. I am sorry you did not like your room and will be looking into the issues you have raised, we hope you will consider us again in the future.

Warm regards

Bo'ness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Found this hotel on Tripadvisor and read the reviews. The hotel is set in between houses, the taxi driver from Bolton found it a bit hard to find.Outside perhaps needs a bit of loving care.

Lovely size of room (38), very clean but there was a funny smell that we could not find out what it was. Apart from that had a wonderful sleep, (a few doors opening and closing but that is usual I suppose), breakfast was wonderful - lovely and hot, I do think that they could serve a little bit later so people could have a bit of a lie in on a Sunday.

Did not use the pool or jacuzzi either but it was being used by a few outside people as well.

All in all a lovely hotel with very friendly staff.

Room Tip: No lift so if you have difficulty in walking then ask for a lower room.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely review, I am glad you enjoyed your stay here and you found your room to be of a high standard. we hope on your next visit you will have time to enjoy our superb leisure facilities.

Bury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Have always liked the place living quite close by, I pass it often as a short cut to Helmshore road, myself and my girfriend went there for my birthday last year and the only problem I had was the stairs to the restaurant as I was just recovering from a broken leg, they were a tall order, please don't ask if there's a lift as it is a listed building and consequently one cannot be installed.
The warm cosy atmosphere and great service more than makes up for the encumbrance of the stairs and the food double that, we both ordered the same fare from the extensive menu, duck liver pate, lamb cutlets with choice of veg & potatoes, for desert, raspberry pavlova, all cooked perfectly, served the same and left the right amount of time between courses.
A lovely evening view of Pendle hills, good food, nice wine made it a quite romantic evening, will be back this year, stay for the night even though you could throw a stone in my back garden from there, just for the experience, well worth a visit on any occasion or just on a whim.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of the Best Western Old Mill Hotel. I am so glad you enjoyed your experience here and you thoroughly enjoyed the food. I hope your leg is now on the mend and we hope to see you again soon.

Manchester
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

Was there again overnight yesterday and again enjoyed a nice clean fairly priced hotel with a lovely full English breakfast in a peaceful location. The staff are friendly, and the bedrooms and beds tick the boxes, bathroom very clean, we have not used the small indoor pool or Jacuzzi yet always a bit concerned at the water colour,but I am sure its fine, and your breakfast used to be available in your room, that was nice, but not now? Also it should be available till 10.30am not 9.30am, I am sure not all guests are early risers and its not to much of a major expense to have it. Regardless we will be back soon.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
J-Asher-Taylor, General Manager at Best Western Old Mill Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for recent review Im glad you have enjoyed the time you have spent here with us and the full english meets your high standards. I will certainly review breakfast times and keep you posted on the decision that is made. We hope to see you again soon.

Warm Regards
Vicky Mcleod
Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2014

My husband and I stayed here this weekend for our nephew's wedding. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The food was very good, and the breakfasts plentiful, but no menu so be prepared to list what you fancy for your cooked breakfast! On our first evening a couple of extra staff wouldn't have gone amiss. The room we had was very small, but clean and contained everything necessary, although the walls are paper thin- we could even hear our neighbours visiting the bathroom.... The bathroom was spotless, but the shower was feeble! The wedding breakfast went without a hitch, and the staff changed the room for the evening do very efficiently. As others have said, there is no lift and many stairs!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for recent review, Im glad you enjoyed your nephews wedding and the food met your expectations, I am sorry there was no breakfast menus but restassured this is now rectified. We hope to see you again soon.

Warm Regards
Vicky McLeod
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ramsbottom
Red Hall Hotel
Last Drop Village Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Bromley Cross
Best Western Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club
Best Western Higher Trapp Country House Hotel

Been to Best Western Old Mill Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!