“Higher expectations dashed.” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 2 Ramsbottom B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Higher expectations dashed.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

Highly recommended but disappointing. Loose toilet seat and impossible to adjust on seat with door closed. Towel replacement had smelly towel and toiletry not replaced. Staff member very helpful in all respects. Parking great and convenient. Location in a nice 'village'. Bar and restaurant in same building
. Did not try the pub food.
Easy reach of motorway network.

Room Tip: Make sure breakfast included in price. Have ear plugs because noise from adjacent rooms terrible. P...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Tanzie1952
Grant A, Manager at The Grant Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Thankyou for taking the time to write a review, we are aware of the noise from the road at the front of the building and try wherever possible to allocate guests to the rear of the property.
Our towels, bedding etc are sent to a specialist company and so I have no understanding of how your towel was "smelly".
We replaced the toilet seat in the room in question immediately after we became aware.
Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Birmingham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

Just like that woodstain they advertise, the Grant Arms does what it says on the tin. If you are looking for somewhere that provides, clean accomodation, coupled with spacious en-suite rooms then look no further. We stayed for two nights and were happy with what we found.
A double room with twin beds overlooking the square but not noisy, adequate cupboards and wardrobe plus tea and coffee making facilities suited our needs exactly, full english breakfast available for a fiver, no complaints there, the tv remote needed batteries but hey? no worries.
The price for two people for two nights is really very good, finding better vfm theses days would not be easy, The staff were good and no problems withstaying over a pub, good car parking as well, all in all well worth a try.

Room Tip: room 2 overlooks the square
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BirminghamLeslie
Thankyou for your kind review, we are glad you enjoyed your stay.
Blackburn, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

Wow this place was a dive! Despite arriving with low expectations inspired by a 3 star rating and many poor reviews. We stayed here to attend a wedding celebration in the function room and on arrival, we were greeted by a group of drunken idiots surrounding the front door and discussing loudly whether they should breech their bail conditions tonight (classy). We were also disgusted with the standard of hygiene throughout the hotel, it smelt dirty and the building had some serious damp issues. The bad behaviour was not limited to the patrons and the building, as we heard the staff shouting and swearing at each other within 10 minutes of arrival, which is always a nice touch. The room continued a developing theme as it suffered with damp, did not seem to be cleaned with the exception of the bedding, which lifted our spirits slightly when no pubes or ominous stains were found (a pleasant surprise by this point). Jokes aside, the room was appalling. The shower dribbled, there were fag burns in the window netting, cupboard doors hanged from their hinges, the carpet did not seem to be vacuumed, there were heating issues as mentioned in other reviews and the wardrobe left our clothes smelling of damp after a one night stay.

The function room really built upon the ambience created by other aspects of the hotel. Blu-Tac was left on the walls, I assume from previous notices displayed by the hotel and the décor was tired, dated and generally shabby. The bar seemed reasonably clean but any chink of positivity was swiftly crushed by the price of the drinks and the standard of food served at the buffet. Simply, there was not enough of it and it was really basic for £7 per head. Not enough food, not enough seating and no response from the staff as the issues became apparent over the course of the night. I had to pinch seats and stools from other parts of the hotel so my elderly and disabled relative could enjoy the privilege of being able to sit. What a disappointment.
The staff were reasonably friendly (shouting and swearing aside) but ill equipped to serve in hospitality. To elaborate on the lack of professionalism I have described so far, their dress code was atrocious as bright red hair and mini dresses were sported by the girls. The boys did not fare much better, grubby old hoodies and jeans were the ‘order of the day’ for these dedicated professionals. I was amazed to see that the faulty chair at breakfast had still not been deemed unsafe and removed. I very nearly suffered the same fate experienced by a previous reviewer but missed trapping my fingers on the seat of the chair as I pulled myself toward the table for breakfast (only just). By this point I was so antagonised by every single aspect of the hotel being at the least faulty, that I picked up the chair, carried it across the room to the serving member of staff and placed it in front of him in the hope he would remove it, apologise and organise the luxury of a safe chair. How wrong was I? He ignored this gesture and resolved to serve us breakfast after everyone else, despite arriving first into the restaurant. Needless to say I gave up at this point, packed our stuff and went to McDonalds in nearby Bolton.

Ramsbottom is a beautiful part of the world, surrounded by rolling green countryside and supported by numerous festivals and events, which make it an exciting place to visit and to live. However staying in this hotel will destroy your enjoyment of a historic and vibrant area as it fails in every single aspect of hospitality and leaves your blood boiling as disappointment is offered at every turn. This hotel belongs in the middle of a dying market town, not good old Rammy.

Room Tip: Do yourself a favour and stay in another hotel!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank c_stanton1

Travellers are raving about these Ramsbottom hotels

Ashbourne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

Upon arrival had to search for the only member of staff I found during my entire stay. Once found (in the bar) this staff member was very friendly and helpful. The room was small but adequate. The mattress was quite old although surprisingly not too uncomfortable. The bathroom was clean but unfortunately the shower was quite old and the water was at best luke warm. The hotel was quite quiet and I was not disturbed. I had to return to the hotel at 3.30am and the same staff member let me in promptly and with good humour. I had paid £5 for the breakfast and I went to the resteurant at 8.30am. Unfortunately despite my best efforts to attract attention (I banged around a bit) no members of staff appeared. I sat for a while (all on my own in an empty resteurant) and helped myself to cereal and coffee but after a while I decided to give up on the breakfast that I had been looking forward to. I then left the hotel and bumped into the one member of staff I had seen my entire stay. He again was very polite. In general i'd say if your on a business trip and just want a bed then this hotel is adequate, although you wouldn't want to pay much. If you want something special i'd avoid. The hotels main credit is the one member of staff who I think was working single handed.

Room Tip: The shower in room 6 isn't great.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Cockermouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

This would have been a positive review but for one incident. The room, although small, was very clean and the bed was comfortable. Maybe because we were at the back of the hotel we didn't hear any noise from the bar.

The said incident occurred in the dining room, the seat on the chair was loose and I put my fingers under the seat to pull the chair closer to the table and got two fingers jammed under the loose seat. This was very painful and knocked me sick for quite a long while which meant I was unable to touch my breakfast. I told the waiter about the broken chair and my now sore fingers and he was very apologetic but didn't move the chair. He came back out of the kitchen and said that the manager was very sorry for what had happened but at no time did the manager come to see if I was ok, which I thought was the least the he/she could have done.

Another reviewer mentioned that this was a missed opportunity and the Grant Arms could do so much better and I couldn't agree more. The hotel is in a perfect location right in the centre of town, and if it could be refurbished and broken furniture sent to the tip, and the staff were sent on a customer relations course it would be a great benefit to the town.

I won't be back!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Margaret D
Delph, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2013

We stayed at the Grants Arms on a Saturday night recently as we had a function in Ramsbottom to attend. We were a bit concerned by the reviews and all the drinking outside when we arrived but when we were shown the room it was more than adequate for our one night stay. The room was spacious and the bedding was crisp and clean, the towels in the bathroom were nice and fluffy. Breakfast was Ok. Overall it was fine for a nights stay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Delpher
Thankyou for your review, it is appreciated
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

I read the reviews after booking and was then hesitant about staying but so glad I didn't listen to the reviews. We loved it and would definitley be glad to go back. Stayed for a special birthday do in Ramsbottom and didn't want to be bothered with late night taxis etc. I don't know what the people writing the reviews expected but my expectations were met and excelled.
We stayed in room 8 and heard no noise from the public bar area at all, room wasn't enormous but we weren't staying a month. Bed amazing, lovely deep mattress with nice plump pillows and a luxury throw in case of a chilly night.
We were advised on checking in that the heating was on timer but due to the changing weather conditions in May-throwing down as we arrived and sunshine hours later-a plug in radiator had been placed in our room. Also advised that the side door could be shut after dark for the safety of their clients and we could access through the public bar entrance- no problem at all. Rolled in at 12.30am to Gareth we offered to take two bouquets of flowers to the kitchen for us to keep them fresh.
Totally made a special occasion better and almost looking for an excuse to go back-speaking to the staff the next day i learnt that they had taken over in August 2012 so maybe some of the comments were previous to this but honestly if you're staying in Ramsbottom try here-you can't buy great staff and i truly felt we saw them here. People who really do care about hospitality and their customers. Thanks Gareth and Sarah? (Sorry, busy day afterwards so excuse if I've got Sarah wrong.
Keep going, you made our stay!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JillB_13
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ramsbottom
BEST WESTERN Old Mill Hotel, Ramsbottom
Last Drop Village Hotel & Spa
Last Drop Village Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Bromley Cross
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,518 reviews

Been to The Grant Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!