“Wedding reception”

Ranked #2 of 2 Ramsbottom B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Wedding reception”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We stayed here as it was not far from the Fisherman's Retreat where our daughter was holding her wedding reception. Although the young lady on reception was helpful the entrance is incredibly shabby and the rooms had not been cleaned properly with rubbish from previous occupants left in drawers.

It is clear that the place has recently been refurbished as the beds and bathrooms are quite new but the carpets are stained and there are marks on the bathroom floor which look like cigarette burns

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank mazza57_12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
N Yorkshire
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I booked this hotel for my wife and kids for the weekend (11th and 12th July 2014) as I was staying with a friend who had no more room! It was booked via a third party and breakfast was supposed to be included; turns out it wasn't, and it gets worse from there on. the hotel itself smelled musty, particularly the corridors and pub (which put my wife off from going in), although the room I booked was ok and clean. very late on it was VERY NOISY, with teenagers making a racket on the Friday night and men on the Saturday way into the small hours and there is no double glazing to combat the horrendous din. They had breakfast (which they had to pay for) which was ok, but nothing to write home about on the Saturday morning, but did not bother on the Sunday. All in all my wife was NOT IMPRESSED. I asked if she would return, she replied, NO WAY!! Which was a shame as the town itself is very pretty. All in all, if you want a bit of peace and no nasty pong in the corridors, DEFINITELY LOOK ELSEWHERE.

Room Tip: Dont bother, but if you must, avoid the front of the hotel at all cost.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank JeffersA1
Grant A, Manager at The Grant Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
I agree that the ground floor is a pub.
The hotel entrance is kept closed for the security of the guests but there are 2 doorbells which can be heard from all areas of the building. This means guests can gain access without having to go to the bar area.
There is also a direct contact number for the manager on the hotel door just in case their was a problem with gaining entry although I have never come across this.
The building is extremely old!
Double glazing cannot be installed, Every effort is currently being made to modernise the hotel with in reason as we dont want to look its heritage in the process

Travellers are raving about these Ramsbottom hotels

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 15 July 2014

A last minute need to stay in Ramsbottom saw me return to the Grant Arms after many years.
Walking into the now, unkempt, dirty bar full of drunken youths is not the best welcome( entry to the hotel part was locked)
Also walking up unlit stairs with a heavy bag was no fun.
Upgraded to a double from the originally booked single was a bonus but there was still nowhere to put a 100L bag.
Worst of all I woke to find I was on the menu and had been dined on whilst asleep.
Talking to locals at another hostelry later in the day the Grants has a reputation locally for bugs

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
7 Thank Ipcresss
I would strongly advise you alter this review, although I accept constructive critisim and can also admit to faults, I refuse to believe anyone who has stayed here as had an issue with insects biting them!
Our rooms are cleaned daily, Bedding is brought in from an outdoor company and is sterile.
Never have I heard 1 person suggest such a thing.
We are a small family run business doing our best to modernise and keep this hotel going yet false reviews like this have such an impact!
I just ask that you write fair comments and at least attempt to write something nice amongst the accusations.
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

This is bad not just for the hotel but for LateRooms.com as it is dirty and dark, and the bar man who was very nice but did not serve after 11 as I had to bang the windows to get in to the hotel, when I asked for a drink he said sorry I've done the tills this is not a hotel at all, i would of had better accommodation sleeping in my car, will be deffo sending complaints to LateRooms.com about this place, photos completely out of date. Enough said I feel.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
8 Thank foodmaster16
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

My mum booked our stay in the family room for me my mum and my 5 year old daughter at The Grant Arms Hotel for 3 night stay through booking.com as we we're there from london due to my mums Dad had died so thw following day was the funeral a we couldnt get a room nearer to family in bolton as eveywhere was booked. My mum thought bed and breakfast was included but it seems on booking.com you choose it seperately wwhich was an extra £5 per person. After paying £149.00 for 3 people food should have been included. when my mum showed me the picture of the hotel I had told her I saw it on the website but kinda past it by as it didnt appeal to me. Well my gut feeling was correct when we took a taxi to the hotel the afternoon we arrived I said it looked like outside needed some work. Well the rest of the hotel on the inside proved me right. We went through the narrow doors which we're close together and struggled with our luggages. We we're given our key for room 1 and told where to go. As we struggled up the stairs with all our bags we went into the room. It didnt look to bad at first until we settled down and noticed a few issues. A damaged draw at the dressing table, a huge hole behind the pillows behind the double bed on the wall the size of the hole my hand could fit into. Wallpaper patched together like patch work at at the side of the bunk bed. The toilet handle was falling apart each tim you tried to flush the toilet, and cobwebs hanging from the ceiling when you firat walk in draft coming from the old fashioned windows. When we went downstairs that evening my mum spoke to the lady who checked us in about the hole in the wall and we was told that she knew about the hoke in the wall and it was from the moving of the furniture in the room, my thing is if you know about the hole why not fill it not cover over it with pillows an expect no one to see it.
So she offered us a different room I had already said to my mum to start looking for somewhere else to stay nearer to the rest of the family because it was inconvenient due to distance and finding faults with where we was staying was off putting. We we're moved next door to room 2 where once again seemed like a nice room with a leather bed and bunk bed by the window. My mum found another hole in the wall but not as big as the one in room 1. The first thing I noticed was the stains on the carpet which needs a good cleaning. Torn wall paper, tv wasnt working we had to get the recepionist to sort it out for us which she tried 2 different tv's from 2 different rooms she finally got one working. The bathroom had damp on the celing, floor tiles uneven, missing tiles behind the sink. There was a big wooden door on the wal which I thought was a cabinet....when I opened it there was a big wood board with a big gap with what looked like a window it was strange. Yesterday morning at the reception as we ga e back the key because we we're going to be out for the day we was approched by the owners big dog was cute but not something you see in hotwls as far as im concerned. Yesterday we got back very late and gad to enter through the pub we we're directed up some dark stairs which was dangerous as ww had a 5 year old with us leading up a stairs with no light. The bar guy shon a small light so we could figger out the stairs. When we went up and rang the bell and no one answered so I rang again as we need to collect our keys it was a long day. Rang again no one appeared to be awake I called out still nothing. I went back downstairs to the bar and had to get one of the guys to help us out and he helped with getting our key.on my way down the stairs I almost fell as it was so dark I couldnt see my way down (no lights). When we went back to the room it had been cleaned smelt fresh, the beds had been done but no fresh new towels the same one s that had I would never recommend this hotel to stay in unless you had no choice.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank Samantha G
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Stayed at Grants Arms Saturday night.room was ok and we had a huge bathroom. Breakfast was lovely and cooked to order. You can see that this was once a lovely hotel and pub but it now feels rather run down. The pub prices were cheap, but the only other drinkers seemed to be just the local alkys even though England were playing their 1st World Cup match.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sue K
Beverley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We wanted a b&b to stay as we were visiting family and also had tickets for the Theatre Royal in Ramsbottom and The Grant Hotel was within walking distance to the Theatre, so we decided to book 2 rooms to stay in for 2 nights . The staff were very friendly and helpful, considering they had to run the bar as well, nothing was too much trouble for them. The rooms were clean and tidy and very presentable. We had a drink in the bar (proper real ale) and decided to go back to our rooms. To our horror we`d locked ourselves out of our rooms. The embarrassing thing about it was it happened twice. Thankyou Charlotte for getting us back in you were a star ! Breakfast was very good and the service was top notch. We had an evening meal and was well fed. We would like to thank Charlotte, Alan and there was another guy who served us behind the bar for making us welcome here . The only down side is you need to change your gas fires to coal fires or wood burning stoves, i think your missing a trick there. We would certainly come back and stay here again .

Room Tip: stay in room 4 . Great room to stay in with a nice view from the window.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ramsbottom
Best Western Old Mill Hotel & Leisure Club
#7 of 7 in Bury
Best Western Manchester Bury Bolholt Country Park Hotel
Village Hotel Manchester Bury
Premier Inn Manchester Bury Hotel

Been to The Grant Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!