I booked this hotel as it was a special birthday celebration and surprise for my husband. Therefore I made sure we had a nice room with a balcony and very important for us is a comfortable seating area. I was told that I was booked into one of their newly refurbished rooms. Approaching the hotel I really felt I had made the right choice, lovely driveway with beautifully kept gardens.
Without exception every member of staff were friendly, courteous and polite. While we were checking in we were offered a glass of sherry and Molly the receptionist couldn't do enough for us. She even had a note about my husbands birthday surprise which made it feel really special. On our first evening the restaurant manager brought two glasses of bucks fizz and some delicious canapes to our room which was a nice surprise.
The hotel restaurant and drawing rooms are beautiful.
We liked the way you were seated around the sides of the restaurant and not all in one area. The way the tables of two seats were arranged was very well thought out as wherever you sat you had a nice view. However, the food was good, but not that good for the price. Penny- pinching at best, the waiter even had to bend down to make sure when he poured the wine that not one drop went above the line. Not his fault but obviously a Macdonalds practice.
On entering our bedroom the first thing we noticed was two lovely patio doors, one leading from the seating area and the other from the bathroom but sadly the seals in all the windows had broken down which meant condensation between the panes, very shabby, so the beautiful view which I had paid a supplement for was obscured. On opening the doors the balcony was very untidy and desperate for a sweep and clean up. If it had have been nice enough to sit out we would have had to give the chairs and table a good clean as they were grubby. Hence the rating for cleanliness as everywhere else was immaculate. There was a sofa in the room as requested but as it was a sofa bed it was extremely uncomfortable as we were almost sitting on the metal fame. During our stay the toiletries were not replaced and instead of a proper bathmat a hand towel was used. On the bedside table was a note pad, always useful, but no pen or pencil.
Summing up, the staff were brilliant but as for the rest, a shame as it is a hotel in such a beautiful setting which could be so much more with just a little effort and not so much penny-pinching in the bedroom and restaurant.
This could have been a perfect break for my husbands BIG birthday but on this occasion Macdonalds hotels have let me down.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Leeming House is one of the finest 4-star Lake District hotels offering luxury and comfort in beautiful surroundings. Set in 22 acres of beautiful grand gardens in the countryside of Cumbria, our 200 year old country house hotel offers breathtaking scenery and fine facilities. With direct access to the shores of Ullswater and a private fishing licence, this hotel is a popular choice for family holidays, business and weddings. Macdonald Hotels' Lake District location in Ullswater offers the perfect retreat whether you're on a romantic break away, a business trip or exploring the surrounding countryside. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotelopia and Odigeo so you can book your Macdonald Leeming House, Ullswater reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Leeming House, Ullswater Hotel Penrith
- Macdonald Leeming Hotel Ullswater
- Macdonald Leeming Penrith
- Macdonald Leeming House, Ullswater Watermillock, Cumbria - Lake District