“Lovely but sadly lacking in attention to detail” 4 of 5 bubbles

Macdonald Leeming House, Ullswater
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Watermillock
GreenLeadersSilver level
uk
“Lovely but sadly lacking in attention to detail”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

I booked this hotel as it was a special birthday celebration and surprise for my husband. Therefore I made sure we had a nice room with a balcony and very important for us is a comfortable seating area. I was told that I was booked into one of their newly refurbished rooms. Approaching the hotel I really felt I had made the right choice, lovely driveway with beautifully kept gardens.
Without exception every member of staff were friendly, courteous and polite. While we were checking in we were offered a glass of sherry and Molly the receptionist couldn't do enough for us. She even had a note about my husbands birthday surprise which made it feel really special. On our first evening the restaurant manager brought two glasses of bucks fizz and some delicious canapes to our room which was a nice surprise.
The hotel restaurant and drawing rooms are beautiful.
We liked the way you were seated around the sides of the restaurant and not all in one area. The way the tables of two seats were arranged was very well thought out as wherever you sat you had a nice view. However, the food was good, but not that good for the price. Penny- pinching at best, the waiter even had to bend down to make sure when he poured the wine that not one drop went above the line. Not his fault but obviously a Macdonalds practice.
On entering our bedroom the first thing we noticed was two lovely patio doors, one leading from the seating area and the other from the bathroom but sadly the seals in all the windows had broken down which meant condensation between the panes, very shabby, so the beautiful view which I had paid a supplement for was obscured. On opening the doors the balcony was very untidy and desperate for a sweep and clean up. If it had have been nice enough to sit out we would have had to give the chairs and table a good clean as they were grubby. Hence the rating for cleanliness as everywhere else was immaculate. There was a sofa in the room as requested but as it was a sofa bed it was extremely uncomfortable as we were almost sitting on the metal fame. During our stay the toiletries were not replaced and instead of a proper bathmat a hand towel was used. On the bedside table was a note pad, always useful, but no pen or pencil.
Summing up, the staff were brilliant but as for the rest, a shame as it is a hotel in such a beautiful setting which could be so much more with just a little effort and not so much penny-pinching in the bedroom and restaurant.
This could have been a perfect break for my husbands BIG birthday but on this occasion Macdonalds hotels have let me down.

2 Thank vinolia
GMLeeming, General Manager at Macdonald Leeming House, Ullswater, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Good afternoon

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for your fantastic comments out the staff here at Leeming House.
I am sorry to hear that we lacked detail in some areas, that is never our intention. Our balconies are currently undergoing a re furbishment, they are being pained and upgraded.
I hope that you have the opportunity to visit us again to see the improvements

Karen Irving

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Alsager, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

This is a fantastic hotel away from the maddening crowds. We had room 4 which had a lovely view across the fields with the Lake below and the mountains in the background. The room was nice but misses on a few items no window in the bathroom I can understand that as the bedroom is in the old part of the hotel ( but in my mind the best area to be in) so did not have any outside walls. The wardrobe was interesting don't take many clothes here unless you can fit them in drawers as indeed the wardrobe space is tiny. These are just small points as overall the room is lovely a good size and great beds.

WIFI now that is a blow as indeed there is none!!! the hotel site says free wifi but indeed there is none at all unless you pay and then its hit and miss if it works, I mentioned this to the hotel and they said yes indeed its an issue and they are trying to get it resolved as they are in very remote part of the Lakes, I fully understand that but as I pointed out others on trip advisor have said there was no free wifi and they dates go back over a year so really you should have removed that from your web site as it makes it difficult if you are stopping there for work but can't VPN onto your firms VPN internet page.

Food there is fantastic but rather expensive for what you get dinner wise but its a good quality but if you are there all week the choice is very limited.

Breakfast is fantastic more than you could eat and every choice under the sun.

Overall a Lovely place great setting and lovely friendly staff

What more can you want!!!! well free Wifi or indeed a paying wifi that works!!

Room Tip: room 4 has lovely views
1 Thank 20yearson
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I can see that you stayed in one of our feature rooms which offers stunning views over the lake and fells.
I do take on board your comments that if staying a few nights the menu may seem limited, we now try to highlight anyone staying more than 2 nights and are happy to offer alternative dishes.

The wifi has been an ongoing problem for a long time and due to it we are about to fit fibre optic, however, this means working alongside local authorities, so its all about getting the timing right to suit all of us. We should be up and running very soon though

Durham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

stayed on a 2 night break hotel substandard in need of an good clean up and make over room are nothing flash yes its and expensive hotel that's why I booked it thinking I was getting quality well I must say I have stayed at cheaper and hade better quality the rooms are substandard for the price you pay but never mind I will never recommend or use again the staff are the only good thing about the place the manager doesn't even ring you back when you ring to complain and better still ring customer services to lodge a complaint and they say a director will look in to it and come back to you with an explanation well guess what 2 and a half weeks later no call so please be aware when booking this place try Storrs hall much better quality for your money I have told all my staff never to use this chain again and if they do I will not be signing expenses off for them

Room Tip: go for the cheapest room if you do stay as they are better quality than the dearest rooms
2 Thank Mr G K G
GMLeeming, General Manager at Macdonald Leeming House, Ullswater, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Good Afternoon

Thank you for your very positive comments further to your recent stay regarding our team, it is always reassuring to hear such good feedback regarding the service we offer.
I was however very sorry and very suprised with regard to your comments about not hearing back from the Manager or response from customer services, this is most unusual , Macdonald Hotels are very proactive with regard to our customer service and we have a seven day response to any communication.
I have never had this feedback before so I would encourage you to call me to discuss this , so I can look into the matter further, however I do feel I recognise your comments and that we have actualy communicated, both at hotel and director level.
It is never our aim that anyone should leave less than satisfied and I am sure if you had raised your concerns with any of our team they would have done their upmost to ensure your expectations were met. With regard to our room types, it is true that some are more expensive than others, this is not necessarily due to size, more to do with the stunning views as with most hotels.
Once again thank you for your feedback
Regards
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

We came here last October and really enjoyed our stay I wrote a review saying the only thing I felt let it down was the food ...at the time I felt the portion sizes were so small that I went to bed hungry.
We were looking to come back to the area and decided to give it another chance as we had loved the views and the room we stayed in last time ..
So happy to say that we were very impressed with the food this time ..the quality of the food was never an issue before but the portion size was ....
it was the best meal I have ever had, and my husband and I have ate out in a lot of resteraunts in fact it was beyond delicious !
I would also like to say that I could see portion sizes had also got a lot bigger and that Leeming House has obviously taken on board what customers want ..I actually couldn't eat all of my dinner for being too full :) !
Well done to you for listening not many establishments actually bother with the feedback and to take onboard the negative criticism ...this made it the perfect stay it was nearly there before and i felt it was important to come back here and give you a great review after all you bothered to listen to what the customer wanted ..now I can happily give you top marks ...
we will be back :)

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stripeysocks72
Good afternoon
Thank you for your lovely comments and for being kind enough to write another review.
You are right all feedback is very important even the constructive and it was due to yours and other comments that we changed our food offering at Leeming House.
I apreciate that you gave us another chance and stayed with us for a second time and I look forward to you visiting again in the future

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

Stayed at this hotel for two nights 11 - 13 April. Lovely room. Gorgeous view of lake, gardens and field of young lambs. Very relaxing. Had a beautiful evening meal, scallops followed by the lamb dish. All the staff very pleasant and welcoming.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank sashton68
GMLeeming, General Manager at Macdonald Leeming House, Ullswater, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Good Afternoon

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us recently. We are very fortunate to have such a beautiful location which is especially lovely in spring.
Great to hear that you enjoyed your meal so much, and that the staff were pleasant and welcoming, its always good to hear this from our guests, to know we are getting it right
I hope you have the opportunity to visit us again in the future
Sunderland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

Too expensive, spoilt our 2 night break. £9 for a 250ml glass of wine - over £25 for a bottle. Burger £18 yes that's right £18 for 1 burger in the bar! Breakfast £17.95 and then you had to pay extra if you wanted something other than an English fry up. Note pushed under door to explain that the painters may be at our window in the morning as they are trying to redecorate outside. The staff however were lovely and they themselves embarrassed at the pricing of drinks and bar snacks. Bread with your evening meal was an additional £3.50 and you only got 3 small slices! Well OTT

Room Tip: Don't go in the Garden Suite unless you want to be woken up by the kitchen swing door banging ev...
3 Thank GaryDebbie
Good Afternoon

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay, we always apreciate feedback whether compliment or contructive.

I am firstly very pleased to hear that you felt our team to be lovely.
I am dissapointed that you felt the wine prices too high, as although you say the staff were embarrassed by the cost, I feel they are quite the oppisite, we have over 60 wines on our list to suit everyones taste. I did look into your comments and you did choose one of our particularly nice wines, however there is further choice of less expensive and more expensive, which I am advised was highlighted to you.
I would agree our burgers are not the cheapest, however they are prime scottish beef and made to order to ensure their freshness, Macdonald Hotels pride themselves on their food produce and will only provide the finest quality.
With regard to the breakfast we are very proud of our offering and term it 'breakfast brilliance', I would say that once again the price reflects the product, we have many items on our cold buffet, including fresh yogurts, cheeses, meats, cereals, fruits and much more, this is included in the price alongside a freshly cooked breakfast
I do apologise that you were dissapointed to get a letter advising you there would be painters outside, but it was actually to advise if you wasnt going out during the day, please let us know and we would ensure you wouldnt be disturbed. We upgrade our premises continually to ensure it is presented at its best and we do try to do this with the least inconvenience to our guests.
Thank you once again for your comments
Karen irving
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

Booked hotel very last minute on Thursday evening and arrived for a two night break to same night. Arrived at hotel at 10pm to be greeted by a very friendly man on reception, who upgraded our room to one with the view of the lake. Room was excellent, wonderful views of Ullswater and the mountains. The breakfast was great, cooked to order and good choice of pastries/cereal etc. The view from the dining room was stunning and a great start to our day. Prior to booking this hotel, we had looked at a number of different B&B's and hotels in the Ullwater area. We are so glad we booked to stay here. The location is perfect, the hotel is set in beautiful grounds and the staff are very friendly. Would highly recommend it to everyone I know.

2 Thank Sarah M
GMLeeming, General Manager at Macdonald Leeming House, Ullswater, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
"Would highly reccomend to everyone I know", wow, thank you so much for such fantastic feedback.
It is really rewarding to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at Leeming House so much and that you felt your room and the breakfast to be of such good quality.
Thank you for choosing out hotel to stay at and I hope you have the opportunity to visit us again in the future.
Karen Irving
Also consider these accommodations in or near Watermillock
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#9 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
#3 of 20 in Windermere
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,281 reviews

Been to Macdonald Leeming House, Ullswater? Share your experiences!