1,380 results
All reviews feature room lovely hotel executive room evening meal restaurant manager cream tea dining room the ground floor beautiful setting lake district cooked breakfast breakfast was excellent first class lovely room staff were excellent a lovely stay view of the lake
Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

We came all the way to MacDonald Leeming House to visit as a potential wedding venue...
After visiting we can safely say this is NOT the venue that we hoped it would be, by any stretch of the imagination...
The receptionist was ok, but beyond that the customer service was terrible to say the least..
The access to Ullswater is ok but the view is completely covered by trees, and once you walk to the shore you will be very disappointed as there’s only a 3 metre gap where you can actually get to the water..
We went by public transport and It’s quite far form the town, with very limited bus services to get there..
We didn’t have much choice, so we had dinner in the hotel restaurant...
THIS WAS A HUGE MISTAKE..
Half of the menu was not even available..
£50 per person for the meal is reasonable for a hotel..but the food and service was awful..
if you enjoy flies with your meal however, then this is the perfect venue for you..we counted at least 8 flies around us..
The staff were very rude and seemed like they would rather be anywhere else but there..
We waited 10 minutes to pay our bill but there wasn’t a staff member to be seen..
After we paid the bill..the waitress took it upon herself to keep the change as her tips..I actually had to ask her where our change was..I have never experienced this throughout my whole life..a waitress tipping herself after such terrible service is beyond a joke..
I am VERY disappointed with our stay here..especially when we had such high hopes for our potential weeding venue

2  Thank Resort761081
David C, General Manager at Macdonald Leeming House, Ullswater, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2018

Dear Cin-Na L

Thank you for leaving a review regarding your recent stay with us at Macdonald Leeming House Hotel.

Clearly I was very disappointed to read of the negative expediencies you have encountered whilst staying with us at Leeming House, I do realise that apologies after the event do little to make amends, I do hope you will accept mine and that of the team at Leeming House. I have to say that what you have experienced is certainly not indicative of the standards and service we strive for.

I would like to discuss your stay with you further if you could please let me know a time that would be convenient for you my email address is gm.leeminghouse@macdonald-hotels.co.uk.

Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

This hotel is situated in the most stunning location imaginable. Whilst we have had the advantage of glorious weather, it has been the warmth of the welcome that has made our stay exceptional. Helpful and courteous staff, a beautiful bedroom with amazing views from the balcony (see picture) and a stillness that has restored the soul, have contributed to an unforgettable few days.

Dear Venlan

Thank you for taking the time to complete great five star review and for your great comments, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us so much, we hope to see you again very soon.

Please book direct with us for the best available rates in the future.

Reviewed 20 June 2018 via mobile

Can’t say anything bad about the actual hotel and grounds, the room was beautiful, the bed was sooooo comfy!! The grounds were beautiful and it was so peaceful and relaxing. Almost too quiet! Although as a young couple it didn’t really suit us and felt it was very pretentious. The staff were looking us up and down from the moment we walked in because we have tattoos probably and were wearing casual clothes. When asked about booking a table for dinner we were then also looked up and down and told ‘you need to wear a shirt and dress smart for dinner’. I don’t offend easily so this didn’t dampen our stay we just ate elsewhere which was a lovely pub close by! Breakfast was quite disappointing and very small, literally a spoonful of beans and service wasn’t very good. The continental selection was quite good though! I think this hotel is perfect if you want a nice quiet stay in a beautiful room and you’re going to be travelling the lakes while there! May be better for an older person!

Dear Emily

Reviewed 19 June 2018

We booked a 'last minute' bank holiday weekend stay and were super excited about the much needed getaway.
The hotel was chosen based on reviews and facilities and I phoned the hotel prior to booking as although booking.com allow you to book rooms for hotel (often non-refundable), they do not specify whether all rooms are pet friendly. Being a frequent traveller, I know too well to double check.
The lady in the booking centre assured me that they were going to able to accommodate us in a pet friendly room, she even phoned the hotel reception to double check this as I insisted.
It wasn't until few days prior to arrival when I phoned the hotel's reception to double check that they were able to place us in a room with direct access to the ground when I was told that a mistake was made and they were in fact not going to be able to offer us any room at all as there was no dog friendly room available (even thought I booked one days before this). Lucky I phoned, as you wouldn't want too make the 7 hour journey just to be told there is no room for you.
Understandably I was upset as we could have booked a room in a different hotel had we known and at this point it would have been too late to try anywhere else. Luckily the lady at the reception (Livia) managed to sort it out in the end, so all was good. Looking back at the whole experience, Livia's outstanding customer service skills and professionalism was the highlight of this hotel's stay. She was extremely welcoming and friendly on our arrival. It's a shame that we didn't get to deal with her for the rest of the stay.

The hotel has stunning grounds and they are perfect if you are travelling with a pet. Your dog will love this place! The grounds leed directly to the lake and its just beautiful. very tranquil.
The room was comfortable, with a large bed and good facilities with french doors opening directly to the hotel grounds. You have your private little table and chairs outside too so you can enjoy the views with a glass of wine. The weather was perfect too.

Unfortunately travelling with a dog and being in 'dog friendly' wing also means that other dogs may be causing disruption. For a dog owner, this is not easy to admit and my own are no saints if provoked.
Some guests did not think that leaving their dog outside their room for most day (by himself) was not inconsiderate towards others, however this meant we would not be able to sit outside as not all dogs get along all the time. Something that every responsible dog owner should bear in mind! Perhaps a 'dogs on the lead only' policy could be introduced.

Worth mentioning - there were no dog waste bins anywhere. This is essential for dog friendly places. It's not a pleasant sight to have a pile of poo bags outside your room.

Some guests would just leave their dog in their room alone and he/she would be just howling for ages. Not only this is unpleasant to people, other dogs hearing this will respond to the howling dog and suddenly you feel like you're in a middle of a zoo.

To make this worse, guests in the room next door would be incredibly loud and kept us awake until 1am. Needless to say we really needed the rest after 7 hour drive to get there, so not pleasant. I appreciate however that this is not the hotel's fault as they cannot control how loud guests are.

Food - Although we did have small dinner in our room on the first night and this wasn't too bad, the breakfast in the morning was pretty awful. To make things worse, it gave both my wife and I stomach pains for at least half a day.After this we were forced to look for dinner and breakfast the following day elsewhere.

No bar snacks! Unheard of. No crisps, olives, nuts..so very odd.

We informed the reception that we would not be having breakfast on the second morning and when we asked for this to be taken off our bill upon departure, this was taken off but the gentleman at the reception did not seem to care in the slightest when we mentioned that the reason we cancelled our dining experience and breakfast was that we felt very unwell after the breakfast on the first day. He literally just ignored it.

It's a shame as the grounds of the hotel are stunning, but there's much room for improvement.

We love the area which is much more peaceful than Windermere and we plan to return soon, however we will be staying in a different hotel.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mattF5796ZD

Dear Matt

Reviewed 17 June 2018 via mobile

Stayed for one night and had a lovely time. Despite the hotel being fully booked it was amazingly quiet, peaceful and relaxing. The staff were all very friedly and couldn't do enough to make sure we were enjoying our stay. Especially the lovely lady on reception who showed us to our room, was very knowledgeable about Leeming house. The gentleman in the restaurant and at breakfast give outstanding service.

The food is amazing but the highlight has to be the views.

If you want a nice relaxing break I would definitely recommend

1  Thank GeordieNat
David C, General Manager at Macdonald Leeming House, Ullswater, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2018

Dear Geordie

Please book direct with us for the best available rates in the future.