“Great Location in the Highlands”

Glenspean Lodge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Roybridge
Suffolk
“Great Location in the Highlands”
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I really don’t know where to start, I just cannot praise Ian and Suzanne enough, and they are such a hard working pair who are so hospitable and welcoming. As a small family run hotel it takes some beating. The hotel is spotlessly clean, the food is very good & their attention to detail is second to none (like remembering at every meal that I don’t like big forks, ha ha).

We originally booked just three nights, and ended up extending it to six, we loved it so much.

We have stayed in many beautiful places in Europe, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, & Madeira to name just a few, and to me this area in the Scottish Highlands is right up there with them for beautiful scenery.

We really hope to go back again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
iansue86, Owner at Glenspean Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
Thank you so much for your lovely review, we enjoyed having you all and were still laughing for days after you left! we hope you will make it up here again one day! thanks once again Ian & Sue

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Durham
Reviewed 10 May 2013

After only popping in for food on my last visit, I decided to make Glenspean Lodge the focal point of my visit to the highlands. It did not disappoint. My mother and I wanted a comfortable, reasonably priced hotel with beautiful scenic views and I knew this would be the perfect place. Wonderful, friendly staff, who just can't do enough for you. We stayed for 3 nights, bed and breakfast. The food was consistently good. I would recommend the fish and chips. Everything tasted so fresh and was clearly made to order. Our room was very clean, television and internet access and we made good use of the jacuzzi. As it is only 30 minutes from Fort William, it's in a prime location for hill walkers and mountain climbers alike. We will be returning next summer.
Thank you, Glenspean, for a wonderful break away from the "norm" :)

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
iansue86, Owner at Glenspean Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 11 May 2013
Thank you for your lovely review! it was lovely to meet you both, hope your legs have recovered from all that walking! glad you enjoyed the hot tub, helps ease those aching muscles ha! we will be sure to keep it nice and hot for your return next year! glad you arrived home safely, many thanks
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2013

As a rule I don't normally comment more than once on a particular hotel - the main reason being that if I didn't like it the first time round I wouldn't stay there again.

As we were that impressed on our first stay my wife and I booked into the hotel for a couple of days break last month - we loved the peace, tranquillity and first class service that we ended up staying for over a week!

Reading the previous review I felt obliged to put the record straight!

The couple running the hotel are probably two of the most conscientious owners / proprietors / 'mine hosts' that you could wish for in a hotel. Their attention to detail is superb and the interest in ensuring ones stay is perfect is, as far as I can judge, completely genuine! As for breaking into song and whistling a tune - yes, got to agree, this certainly happens but it certainly didn't appear to be anything but natural. A few singing lessons wouldn't go amiss however!

Our room was spotlessly clean, complete with a full array of complimentary teas, coffee's, hot chocolate, biscuits, and a fully working TV complete with dvd player. No spiders though which was pretty disappointing given the inspiration that one once provided local hero Robert The Bruce with so much inspiration! These little beasties can spin a web in under an hour so it is entirely possible that it appeared after cleaning??

Internet - managed to connect both an Ipad, a lap top and an Iphone throughout the hotel. Yes the signal was weak in some places, almost non existent standing at the bar (!), but in our room, the hotel lobby, and the sitting room, it was at full strength.

Every meal that we had in the hotel was superb! I cant comment on the 'form of eggs benedict' as I didn't try them. I did have the black pudding, every day, and it's the best I have ever tasted. Sausages for breakfast were good too. There were also mountains of different types of fruit, cereal, and crusty bread available.

I did try the fish and chips although the fish was more like a whale! I also had the steak and ale pie on THREE occasions. It was delicious and the BEEF was perfectly tender with very little, if any, fat and gristle. It was that good I even took the time to personally compliment the chef on it.

Although not a great sweet eater I did try, and loved, the pineapple pavlova!!

Perhaps the Peroni (which I didn't try although my wife did) was that good it resulted in the taste of the rest of the food being somewhat numbed?

All in all I have to say that our stay at the hotel was, again, beyond expectations.

One thing that never fails to amaze me however is why people, who work hard for their money, never seem to mention a problem to the hotels owners, proprietors etc at the time of their stay. From our past experiences at the hotel I am sure that had any of these 'problems' been mentioned they would have been instantly rectified! May be that this was the case in this instance but then it surely would have / should have been mentioned in the review?

As I said in my first review we have stayed in top class hotels all over the world and this one has got to be up there with the best of them!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Local_Hero1892
iansue86, Owner at Glenspean Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 10 May 2013
Thank you both for choosing to stay with us once again, and thank you for your lovely review, it was nice of you to post such lovely comments about the hotel, we too get upset when certain people try to drag the hotel down when we try so very hard to keep it as nice as we can! as for Ians singing, yes a few singing lessons wouldnt go amiss ha! but wouldnt have him any other way! We hope if you are ever up this way in the future you will call this way, thank you once again!
Carnoustie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2013

I was expecting.after reading the website and reviews to find a quiet away from it all hotel which was cosy up to date with good food.
I am aftaid this fell short of the mark - The hotel was in a lovely spot tranquil, away from it all yet only 20 mins to Fort William - This was the good parts

The Manager or mine host was very welcoming and did all he could to make your stay all it could be(I Could not help think he was false - Suddenly starting to sing or whistle a trune as he came into the room)

My room was clean(With an added cobweb on the room for decoration)with a comfortable bed and great views of the local scenery. I thought the room(Like the hotel)was nice enough but needed money spent on it - with an impressive bed but cheap wardrobe - TV which i struggled to get all the channels on and no BBC 2. - The bathroom was average with little ventilation
They advertise free internet - This is all very well if they had any - I found it impossible to get connected to anything so any business person stopping here beware.

I was very much looking forward to my evening meal with the hotel having such an impressive look I thought nothing could go wrong but very little went right.

I started with a pint of Peroni which was wonderfull - Things were going well

Starters - A form of eggs benedict using black pudding - The black pudding was great one of the best i have tasted but it was on all i can describe as a cross between fried bread and a scone base soaked in oil - And where was the hollandaise Sauce - If there was any it was sparse

Main - Steak Pie Chips & Veg - What could go wrong - I was looking forward to a steak pie with flakie pastry full of beaf - but what I got was soggie paistry full of beaf(Some gristle and fat)served in a big soup bowl in an inch of gravy on the bottom - The carrots had so much butter on the i could not eat them - The saving grace was the chips - They were very good.

To cheer myself up I thought i would order a sweet and another pint of Peroni

Chocolate fondent with Ice Cream - It arrived with wat i can only describe as a strawberry on top that had seen better days - I cut into the fondant expecting to see a soft centre running out - It was solid it looked like a bit of stale chocolate cake,I did not try it as by that time i had had enough and consoled myself with my peroni.

An Irish couple chose will of the menu at the table next to me - They had fish and chips which they enjoyed - The fish itself looked 3 times the size of normal ones -

In the morning i had an average breakfast with again some great black pudding, cheap sausages and horrible scambled egg - I was disappointed in the selection of non cooked breakfast and felt they could go further with fruite etc

Overall dissapointing - I would not recommend this

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank KenM553
iansue86, Owner at Glenspean Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2013
Hi Mr McKenzie, thank you for your review, I am sorry you found the hotel not up to your standard, we do try exceptionally hard to keep the hotel immaculate, I am sorry you found the furniture in your room unsatisfactory Ducal is one of the best makes that was produced, I am sorry you thought it was cheap!! Internet is always a problem in the highlands and the more remote the property you stay at then the worse the signal will be, the signal was fine on the evening you stayed as I was on my I-pad and told you this, it was slow as it was tea time but was working perfectly, Ian did say that you could hook your computer up to a hardwired point if that would help, you turned down this suggestion!, I believe you also moaned that it had been a problem at the previous hotel you stayed at too which was much less remote than us, this I am afraid is out of our hands we have the best equipment available but cannot do anything about the speed. I appologise for my husbands singing he does this quite sporadically and quite often throughout most days, most people find it amusing as he only usually remembers any one line of a song! as for your food I can only appologise our Steak & Ale pie is one of our biggest sellers and people travel from all over for it, it is a shortcrust pastry plate pie made the old fashioned way served on a plate with gravy over , it does not say puff pastry on our menu, I am sorry if this is what you were expting, you could have also had your gravy served on the side if you had not wished it over the top, as for your fresh carrots, they are glazed with butter and a sprinkle of parsley, if these werent to your liking you could have asked a member of staff for some without the butter it would not have been a problem!! I will mention to our butcher that you found his meat gristly and his sausages cheap as this is certainly not a complaint we are common with. we work very hard to cater to all our guests needs all they have to do is ask! if something is not to a guests liking then we always try to rectify this at the time, some people are just very hard to please and would rather go online and slate hoteliers instead!
regards
Suzanne
Hendrik-Ido-Ambacht, The Netherlands
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We are three friends exploring the Highlands for a week. Glenspean Lodge is a beautiful hotel from the outside and nice and cozy inside. The location is perfect for trips to the greater area around the Nevis Range, Glencoe, Skye and the Atlantic coast. Ian & Suzanne make us feel at home, so after a short interruption in the far north of Scotland we decided to return to this home away from home.
I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The 'mountain view' rooms are worth the extra money. The scenery around the hotel is beautif...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
iansue86, Owner at Glenspean Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2013
Thank You for your lovely review, it was lovely to meet you all, we hope if your ever travelling this way in the future you come and visit us again. Ian & Suzanne
Warwickshire
Reviewed 18 March 2013

This was a one night stopover for us whilst travelling further north, chosen almost by sticking a pin in the map and looking for a decent hotel in the area. We chose well. From the welcome to the room to the food it would be difficult to find fault. The bonus is that it is in a great location and we intend to return in the not too distant future to explore the area properly.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
iansue86, Owner at Glenspean Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 21 March 2013
Thank you for your lovely review, hope you had a good trip and the weather was good to you!
Reviewed 31 December 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for one night whilst working in the surrounding area. This is easily one of the best hotels I've stayed in. The hosts are lovely people, food is incredible and the rooms are very well appointed, clean, and very comfortable. Scenery surrounding the hotel is breathtaking. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Knight_rider123
Thank you for your review, we have just re-opened again for another season, we hope we can welcome you back again if you are in the area, many thanks, Ian & Suzanne
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roybridge
Letterfinlay Lodge Hotel
#4 of 21 in Fort William
Holly Tree Hotel
Holly Tree Hotel
#1 of 2 in Kentallen

Been to Glenspean Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!