“Wonderful wedding and service at Glenspean Lodge”

Glenspean Lodge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Roybridge
Leeds
“Wonderful wedding and service at Glenspean Lodge”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2010

I've just returned from a small, friendly wedding up at Glenspean Lodge. I would recommend it to others wanting a small Scottish wedding, complete with bagpipes and breathtaking views.

We arrived at the hotel after a scenic drive along the shores of Loch Lomond and around the foot of the Ben Nevis range, and past the Glenboggle castle from TV series Monarch of the Glen. The bar is well stocked (with all different types of whiskey) and the two menus (restaurant and bar) welcome the newly arrived with mouthwatering, hearty portions of pork, steak and fish.

The wedding had around 25 guests (although you could probably have fitted in more) and felt a nice size as we spread out in the hotel's reception rooms, bar and cosy lounge.

Food and especially service, was of a good standard.
Breakfasts were my favourite... haggis/veggie haggis, kippers, full fried breakfast etc.

The hotel owners were very professional, knowledgable and helpful.

Lots to do:
During the weekend they provided wedding guests with recommendations on walks and climbs in the surrounding hills and mountains, whiskey distillery visits, as well as clay pigeon shooting, and even skiing. (Ben Nevis range - was really good, and as we also had a lesson, I'd like to say the instructors were really good). Depending on the weather/season, there are also rafting, quad biking, canoeing and shooting options.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Tamworth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2009

Stopped at this hotel for only one night, I wish it could have been more. The hotel is set in Roy Bridge about 10 mile from Fort William. The location is superb with wonderful views of the Highlands.The couple who managed the hotel could not do enough for you and were efficient and attentive without being over the top, offering a wonderfully personal service, where you felt nothing was too much trouble.
We found our room to be tastefully furnished with quality furnishings, comfortable with everything we needed for our one night stay.We ate in the bar and found the food to be above average quality and value for money, and enjoyed a superb traditional Scottish breakfast served by mine host himself. Overall, a thoroughly enjoyable experience and if we ever find ourselves in that neck of the woods would have no hesitation is staying there again.

Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2009

We loved the Glenspean Lodge. The owners were friendly and very helpful. The location was excellent, and the views were wonderful. The breakfasts were great, We had three dinners here and the food was very good. The service was slow one night, but they were very busy. We appreciated the free internet access. Very quiet at night - comfy beds.

Zurich
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2009

Originally we planned to stay Inverlochy Castle, Scotland’s probably best Hotel – or so they say. Due to difficulties with their online booking tool, we opted fort he Glenspean Lodge, which turned out to be a very wise and money saving decision. The hotel is managed by the owner couple, hard working and extremely friendly people who are at the guest’s service from early morning to late in the night. Our room was spacious, nicely decorated, very clean, quiet. The property is very well kept, high-speed internet is free. The hotel is situated outside the village in a beautiful but isolated location, which could be a drawback, but Fort William is only 15 minutes away by car. We did not eat in the hotel’s restaurant, just had breakfast there – which was o.k. but not particularly impressive. In general, however, we can recommend the hotel without reservations.

1 Thank Dionysios
buffalo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2009

We stayed at Glenspean for only 1 night.I wish we had more time. The hotel was 10 miles from Fort William, which is very busy and touristy to my liking. I made the reservation through booking.com so I was not even aware that it was a Best Western. I don't know if it is a good thing to carry that name, but the hotel exceeds my expectations when I see Best Western label on it by a mile. The owners greeted us, they were very lovely and we were very tired to go out and explore Fort William so we stayed in for dinner. We sat at the bar area and the most wonderful lamb shank and very good fresh mussels with good wine, local beer and whisky afterwards. My 9 year old was very happy with his dinner and sent his compliments to the chef. Kids played in the game room and in the jacuzzi. Our room was a good size with a king and a twin in it. Our bathroom was very clean with enough amenities. My only comment would be: if only I could open the window all night. The windows did not have screens and I am not comfortable with screenless windows. We took a little walk before dinner and found a gorge with a suspension wooden bridge tucked away behind the railroad and some houses across from the hotel. It was great.In the morning we had breakfast and found out in the menu that this was ahunting lodge for some lord. I would heartily recommend this place for families and couples.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Houston, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2009

My partner and I stayed at Glenspean Lodge for 2 nights in Aug-09. The owners were so welcoming, and the "hello" from their parrot was a unique surprise. Don't worry - they take him to bed at night, so he's no disturbance at all! Located just 15 minutes from Ft. William, this hotel has beautiful views from the restaurant and carpark, with plenty of parking out front. Our room was well furnished (although a bit too much pink for me) and very clean. The breakfast was great and dinner service even better. After a day of hill walking, nothing beats a jacuzzi and sauna! Rather than going in town for a night out, we stayed at the hotel playing board games, snooker, and air-hockey - great fun. This hotel is a perfect all-in-one retreat - highly recommended!

Pencaitland, Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2009

We did not stay overnight at this hotel but we did visit here quite a few times in one week! We were staying in self catering accommodation close by and we had drinks in the bar a few times and also ate in the bar of the Glen Spean Lodge twice.

The owners of the Lodge and all the staff were all very friendly and helpful. We were welcomed each visit with a smiling face at the reception desk. Their service could not be faulted.

The bar area is lovely and spotless (and their bar toilets must be the cleanest I have ever seen in a hotel! Always a good sign!!) and the prices very reasonable. Both meals we had here were in the evening and the food was fabulous. I had the lamb shank both nights as it was the best I have tasted! My other family members had the fish and chips, scampi and chips, steak, beef & ale pie and curry - all of which were excellent and we had clean plates all round at the end of the meal!

I wanted to write this review to reassure people of the food at the hotel due to a few comments from other visitors earlier this year. It's great and I would not hesitate to stay at this hotel on our next visit to Roybridge and I would certainly eat here again. We overheard two couples chatting to each other and commenting on how nice their rooms were. I just wish I lived closer!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roybridge
Letterfinlay Lodge Hotel
#4 of 21 in Fort William
Holly Tree Hotel
Holly Tree Hotel
#1 of 2 in Kentallen

Been to Glenspean Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!