“Nice little spot in Brora”

Sutherland Inn Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Brora
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Hotel lies on the main road in the middle of town and parking for the hotel is a cross the road in a public car park. When we arrived our check-in was a tad disorganized as there was minimal staff and the check-in lady was no-where to be found. Still it all worked out all right in the end thanks to Julian the barman.We had booked 2 single rooms and were given:

Room 1 - at the rear of the hotel. Room was dim but well appointed with a great big double bed, flat screen TV ( but reception was poor with some channels to jumpy to see), tea/coffee making facilities + biscuits and also bottled water. Room was of a reasonable size with plenty of hanging space but limited "laying out" space. En-suite had a toilet, shower and sink and came with handwash and moisturiser. I looked at the shower head and thought it might be underpowered - but boy was I wrong - there was a lot of water pressure there. Room had a nice "smell" to it but I could't place what is was, however.. There was some mould in the shower and a bit of wall paper falling off the roof. The room was the first I slept in - in the whole week that had "BLACKOUT curtains" - magic!.

Room 5 was pretty much identical but it faced the road and it had a bath/shower. Mum said that there was little road noise at night.

The bar/restaurant was quite busy and if you are "into" whisky there are just under 300 bottles for sampling. I liked the fact that they did whisky tasting trays. We ate in there and both thoroughly enjoyed it.

Breakfast is a help yourself affair in a small room near the kitcken. The room could do with a makeover. It was a help yourself affair but you could have a cooked breakfast on request. Coffee is Nescafe - if you want proper coffee you have to go down the road to a local cafe!

During day/evening meal service the staff were running around like banshees keeping everyone fed and watered. Boy were they working. I single out Julian for his excellent service, helpfulness and generally very positive attitude. Well done Julian.

Bearing in mind where you are and what is available - I thought this place was OK and yes I would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Honisoiquimalypense

Reviewed 11 June 2013

I was disapointed when i got to this hotel, i was not expecting 5* but, i did expect it to be clean and my room was not, i was moved to another room which was not much better. The bar area seemed to be the only place that was clean. very disapointed.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank nikki505
Reviewed 18 May 2013 via mobile

Our room was very large (1 x double and 2 x single beds) but felt a little cluttered with too much extra furniture. That said the room was clean, possibly a little dated, but perfectly fine for our one night stay.

The staff were friendly in the well stocked bar with hundreds of different whiskies on offer at reasonable prices.

Breakfast set you up for the day although the separate breakfast room felt a bit tired - personally I would have rather had taken breakfast in the bar area as this had a warmer feel about it.

Overall a good value option in Brora which I would likely stop at again if in the area.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 27 March 2013

Having been in the industry for near 30yrs i know what i like we go away and it tends to be 4* . We where going to Tain and thought we would look for somewhere to spend the weekend on the cheap. Being 2* normally i wouldnt have booked but the reviews i read said it was clean so we went for it and Im very glad we did. The room was very nice it was a good size, modern decor clean comfortable bed, flat screen tv, hospitality tray and bottled water. The bathroom was nicely tiled and although inside bath, sink and toilet where clean i felt a little extra time spent cleaning the outsides of facilities would serve them well or maybe its just me being fussy?!?. The staff we met at dinner where exceptional the Friday night was rather busy but the two young people on shift took it all in their stride and where totally professional a credit to any employer. Saturday nights service was much more relaxed but very friendly and efficient . The food was wonderful on both nights it was good quality food with portions that could satisfy even the biggest appetite our only complaint was my husband couldnt manage a dessert!!!. Breakfast was self service starters etc cooked breakfast made to order by a lovely girl and was delicious. Thankyou to all for a lovely weekend break

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank suzie p
Reviewed 12 January 2013

We spent one night in this small pub while expolring the Scottish highlands with my husband and 2 month old baby. The pub rooms have recently been re-furbished and are quiet, clean and tastefully decorated. Love the claw foot bathtub in the marble bathroom, the only downfall was the toilet made a terrible noise everytime it was flushed!
The restaurant off to the side of the bar is small and intimate, a typical scottish pub. Haggis was on the menu and my husband and I were nervous to try it, but being in the Scottish highlands we bit the bullet and ordered it (with a side order of chips just incase!) The haggis was amazing!! It's a must try, we ordered it again when we went to other pubs and the Sutherland Inn's was by far the best!
Brekky was included in our room price and was a typical Scottish fry up, nothing overly flash but for a pub breakfast it hit the spot.
A great pub to use as a base for exploring the highlands!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 December 2012

I stayed here overnight while on a two-day hillwalking break. I really enjoyed my stay. Came off the hill damp & cold and the ensuite shower was piping hot - brilliant! The evening meal was excellent & plenty of it. Good varied menu. The room was very comfortable & cosy. Good, plentiful breakfast. The staff were very helpful & friendly. The locals who we met in the bar were also very friendly. I am really looking forward to hillwalking in this area again & making Sutherland Inn my base.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 October 2012

welcomed by friendly staff on arrival. She explained that we had a change of rooms as a member of staff had to stay overnight. We were with another couple and they were given a twin room we had the family room.we came back to our rooms at 11pm and while our room was quiet the other room had to endure a very noisy party til 02.45 in the morning our friends came to alert us to the noise at 01am there was no one on duty or a phone number to contact anyone. In the morning a complaint was lodged and the person who was in charge waved the fee for that night and a different room was allocated to them, The owners were away on holiday seemed that when the cat was away the mice will play!!!!!! The inn on the whole could do with an upgrade very tired looking.Lack of hot water needs addressing.

Room Tip: find another hotel