“Comfortable accommodation, Delicious food.”

Sutherland Inn Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Brora
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Comfortable accommodation, Delicious food.”
Reviewed 28 September 2010

We booked a night's stay at the very last minute, but were offered a sizeable room, with a nice en suite bathroom. It was more practical than luxurious, but for the price that was what we were expecting. Having said that, it was very comfortable and more than adequate. They were also able to let us extend our stay by an extra night as we had enjoyed it so much. Being on the main road down the Scottish coast, it did get noisy overnight with the windows open, but with the windows shut we heard very little.

Contrary to some of the reviews here, we thought the food was wonderful. They were very busy, seemingly with locals as well as guests, and had consequently run out of some meals which had been in high demand. But they had what we wanted on both nights and it was cooked to a very high standard - I've not had many better meals elsewhere - though I admit I am no expert on these things.

Staff were friendly and went out of their way to help. I would stay here again if I was passing through, and would go a long way out of my way to eat the food again!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Hannover, Germany
Reviewed 5 September 2010

The inn is directly on the A9, with most rooms facing this busy road, so if you like to sleep with windows open, it is not quiet. There was no heating in the bathroom, so it was just as well the water was hot. Our room was not well furnished and rather dingy. The bed was too small. Breakfasts were awful - no muesli, no fresh fruit, no fresh bread, no locally produced jam which is totally inexcusable on the east coast of Scotland. The food was otherwise ok, but the selection of beers was really poor, with only one Scottish (bottled) beer, the real ale being off. There was no lounge to speak of, the refurbishment of this place was poorly thought out; dull, unimaginative and in places rather tasteless. Some of the staff seemed completely clueless, though the breakfast waitresses did their very best. However, it must be said this inn boasts an excellent and fairly priced selection of single malts.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cmb54

Travellers are raving about these Brora hotels

Fife, Scotland
Reviewed 19 June 2010

I did not stay in the Sutherland Inn. If the rooms are as bad as the food then I consider myself very fortunate.

We waited well over an hour for our main courses and when they arrived it was clear that they had been sitting under lights for a considerable length of time. The food was overcooked, soggy and tasteless. No-one even came and apologised about the delay -we had to ask what was taking so long. I have never had to complain in a restaurant before. We did get the main courses taken off the bill which is just as well really as the food wasn't worth paying for.

On the plus side, the bar staff were excellent. One of the staff who usually works in the kitchen was working in the bar - perhaps if he had been in the kitchen then we would have had an enjoyable meal!!

I will never be back to the Sutherland Inn.

Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank DebbieGraeme
orkney
Reviewed 20 March 2009

Having stayed one night in the Sutherland Inn through tiredness, I would have been better off sleeping in my car. Welcome warm and at first glance all is well. The room was large, bed hard so did not have a good sleep, bedding tired, wall light that had had it's pull cord broken so was on all night. Bathroom cold as there was a hole in the wall where a socket had been, shower not clean and in the morning discovered it did not run hot no matter how long it was on.Breakfast served by a young lass who was also hoovering and cleaning the bar/toilet floors, not my idea of hygenie also the crockery was greasy with black specks on it, the coffee was tasteless. Very disappointed overall, I did not make a complaint at the time as there was no one of authority there. Not value for £50.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
Fareham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2008

I found the Sutherland Arms in BRORA (don't be confused with other Sutherlands Arms as there are quite a few in this area) as, with 3 friends, I was going to play golf at Brora and was looking for reasonably priced accomodation for us for just one night. I booked well in advance directly with the hotel. Accomodation in Brora itself is limited and certainly on the night we were there they were fully booked.

Our slightly early arrival at the hotel was no problem and the lady on reception was very welcoming and immediately showed us to our rooms. The welcome continued throughout our stay from all other staff as well.

The rooms we had were excellent, well decorated and whilst ours was not huge the other 2 in our group had a much larger room. Both were perfectly adequate. Beds were excellent and comfortable, the room and en suite both clean and well furnished, flat screen TV, bowl of fruit, tea/coffee making facilities.

The bar is excellent and a must for any whisky drinker and also has a good selection of beers. We had dinner in the hotel and the standard of the food was excellent. There were specials on the menu of fish etc but we all opted for steak and it was one of the best I have ever eaten.
For the hearty eater they will even serve up a 60 (yes SIXTY) ounce steak.
We could not eat a dessert but those I saw looked good and certainly other diners around commented positively on them.

Travellers must remember that this is a traditional British pub/inn and I can tell you it's certainly one of best I have ever stayed in.
I and my fellow travellers would happily return.

• Liked — Excellent value
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 6 July 2008

My husband and I were driving through the area and saw their sign for Sunday roasts at 5.95GBP each. We went in and had a splendid meal. I had roast beef and dh had roast chicken. They were served with a huge bowl of steamed veggies that was really good. The roasts were also great--definitely one of the best meals we had during our 2 weeks in Britain. They also have a huge selection of whiskies. My husband tried the local distillery's Clynelish single malt--he really enjoyed it.

The Inn also does b&b, but we did not stay there, so I cannot comment on the rooms.

1 Thank anajupear
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brora
Royal Marine Hotel
Dornoch Castle Hotel
#2 of 6 in Dornoch
Lairg Highland Hotel
Morangie House Hotel

Been to Sutherland Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!