“Calm”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Brora
Carmei-Yosef
“Calm”
Reviewed 29 November 2013

A very good hotel on the way north in the nice little village of Brora. Beautifull beach. The hotel is very calm.Nice bar serving good food and drinks all day. The restaurant serves very good food and the service is excellent. Rooms (Master) are large and very convenient. All in all - a wonderful place.

Room Tip: The Master bedrooms.They are great!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Robert R, General Manager at Royal Marine Hotel, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your most complimentary review following your recent stay at the hotel. Naturally I and the team are delighted that you enjoyed your visit to Brora.
I do hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to Brora and The Royal Marine Hotel in the not too distant future.

Robert Ratcliffe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
tarbert
Reviewed 13 October 2013

whilst staying at the links apartments we had dinner a couple of nights in the hotel bistro.The restaurant food was excellent and the staff were pleasant .The pick of the restaurant was the ox tongue ragout starter and the hotel has a great wine list

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Robert R, General Manager at Royal Marine Hotel, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for posting your kind review following your recent stay in the Links Apartments.

I am delighted that you enjoyed dinner and found the food to be excellent. It is always good to receive positive and encouraging feedback; your comments regarding the food and wine list are appreciated and I will ensure the team are made aware of them.

saraha1970
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I stayed in the Royal Marine Hotel in October 2013 for business purposes.

The hotel has a very traditional Scottish style which I generally find a bit dated but given its location I can see the appeal to tourists. The reception staff were welcoming and the room well-appointed with lots of extras (robes, hairdryer, iron/ironing board, toiletries, tea/coffee, flat screen tv).

I didnt use the leisure facilities but both breakfast and dinner were very nice, in fact the breakfast was one of the nicest presented Ive had in any hotel. Dinner starter (black pudding with pancetta) was a huge portion, as was main course so good value for money.

Although I didnt pay for this stay, at £87 pp BB I would say it was good value and would recommend for business or leisure travellers. there is adequate wardrobe/storage space and the dressing robes are a nice touch.

There as an error will my bill in the morning but this was quickly and easily sorted with many apologies.

Overall, a good stay!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank saraha1970
Dear Sara,

Thank you for posting your complimentary review on tripadvisor following your recent stay at The Royal Marine Hotel on business.

I am delighted that you found everything to your satisfaction and pleased that the error on your account was quickly rectified.

It is good to hear that breakfast was one of the best presented you have experienced whilst staying in hotels.

I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back again in the future either for business or leisure.

Thank you again.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Reading the reviews I was slightly unsure of what to expect but was happy with what I found.

Stayed here on a work trip for a meeting, dinner, bed and breakfast. The facilities were good and the staff very helpful.

Having had many pretty average dinners at meetings, i was pleasantly surprised at how good the food was - a reasonably imaginative selection, tasty and well presented. Breakfast was also very good with a good range of cold and hot choices.

Too many hotels I've stayed in around the more rural parts of Scotland are disappointing and offer poor service - this was a very pleasant surprise.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Royal Marine Hotel whilst on a business trip to the Brora area.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and that we exceeded your expectations from what you say.

I am glad you enjoyed our food and hospitality during your stay. I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future whether it be for business or pleasure.

North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I stayed at the Royal Marine for my sister's wedding at Dunrobin castle and I felt like I was being treated like royalty. The staff there were very attentive to our needs were happy to help. The breakfast was also surprisingly good, much like you would get in a 5 star hotel. The hot tub wasn't working when I was there, however, the little steam room and the sauna were awesome. And when I got the bill for the weekend I was also surprised at how reasonable it was.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank AdventureVacationer
Robert R, General Manager at Royal Marine Hotel, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your most complimentary review following your recent stay at The Royal Marine Hotel, Brora. Naturally I am delighted that you felt you were treated like royalty. The team will take enormous encouragement from your kind remarks I am sure. Sorry the hot tub was not working in our Leisure centre during your stay. As the new General manager here I am always keen to receive guest feedback and respond accordingly.
I will certainly look into why the hot tub was out of action. Thank you for letting me know.
I hope you will visit us again in the not too distant future for more royal treatment.

Pristina, Kosovo
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We just returned from a 3+ week tour of the Scottish highlands and islands...I booked most of the hotels by reading reviews on line and looking at the map....this one looked like it would be nice and comfortable place to stay. After reading some reviews I would have to agree that it was "Average" ...and that the staff needs a bit of help in the hospitality department. The room was fine, and was quite comfortable.
However, from the time we checked in, no one asked us a thing, and we had to find our way around, figure out where the dining room was, and so on. I hate to say it, because we had such an incredible trip the whole three weeks, but this hotel was one of my least favorite places. The hotel just felt unwelcoming, and oddly out of place after all of the friendly helpful people we had met on the trip. We looked around the dining room, decided that it looked too quiet and ended up walking into town for fish and chips and having a nice chat with the owners of the fish and chip cafe!
Ah well....maybe they can try a little harder in the future...

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank expatmominkhartoum
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for posting your review on tripadvisor following your recent stay at The Royal Marine Hotel Brora.
As the new General Manager I am interested to receive feedback, enabling me to put right any shortcomings and build on our successes. Evidently in your case we fell somewhat short of your expectations which is a great pity because it would seem you had a fantastic time during your three week trip. Your constructive remarks clearly indicate that on this occasion we failed to make you feel welcome for which I sincerely apologise. A definate training need has surfaced here. Please be assured I will be taking this up with my guest relations manager in the morning.
I am pleased, however, that the local fish shop owner made you feel at home ! Maybe he should come over and train my staff ! Seriously though I am extremely disappointed to read your comments. We pride ourselves on the normally friendly and hospitable service we offer. I am very sorry that you appear to have fallen under our radar.
Should you ever visit this part of Scotland again please do call in and hopefully we can vastly improve on our recent performance. Thank you again.

Teba, Spain
Reviewed 20 September 2013

RM is a great venue for a golf trip visiting the courses on this coast. Rooms are comfortable, Restaurant is fine, though menu does need to change more regularly, specials menu has limited new daily choices but still very nice, but would benefit from more variety.
Pool area and saunas look good, but during my visit hot tub was not operative.
On balance, well worth a visit, especially for golf

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dave R
Dear Dave,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your kind comments on tripadvisor following your recent stay here in September.
It is true to say that we are well situated to play golf on the local courses especially Brora, Golspie, Dornoch and Tain. As you know Brora Golf Course is a matter of minutes from the hotel. Thank you for mentioning the menu which you felt needed more variety. We are very soon (today infact) to introduce a new seasonal dinner menu and bar snack menu offering a more varied selection.Having taken over the reigns here only recently I am pleased to be able to reply to guests comments which I value enormously providing important feedback so we can discuss as a team and quickly put things right if they need fixing.
Thanks again Dave, and hope to see you again before too long.

Robert Ratcliffe
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brora
Sutherland Inn Hotel
#1 of 1 in Invergordon
Dornoch Castle Hotel
Dornoch Castle Hotel
#2 of 6 in Dornoch

Been to Royal Marine Hotel? Share your experiences!