“Wife's birthday meal”

The Birch Tree
Price range: US$6 - US$36
Cuisines: British, French
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: We are a bistro style restaurant located at Delny near Invergordon in the Highlands of Scotland. 'Our food philosophy is driven by our passion for cooking and the seasonal and sustainable produce that we source from our equally committed local producers and suppliers.' Wednesday to Sunday lunches Noon until 2pm Wednesday to Saturday Dinner 6pm until 10pm
Invergordon, United Kingdom
“Wife's birthday meal”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We have recently moved into the Invergordon area and, when my wife left her job in Leicester, her previous work colleagues had got her a leaving gift of a meal out at The Birch Tree. This was a wonderfully thoughtful gift and well researched as there are not many restaurants in the area as it is quite remote, let alone top class ones like The Birch Tree!! As it was my wife's birthday not long after moving we booked in and we were not disappointed.

To start with I had Scallops served in a Languostine bisque whilst my wife went for a Pigeon dish. The Scallops were sweet and meaty and the bisque was delicious-I could have eaten a bowful of that onit's own! My wife enjoyed her Pigeon dish too.

As I could not decide what to order for my main course I asked the friendly waitress (Dianne) what she would recommend. The confit Duck leg and pan-fried Duck breast was recommended which is what my wife had also picked. I don't generally order the same dish as her, but I fancied it and as it had been recommended to me so I just had to go for it……… and it was a good recommendation! It came served on a bed of mashed potato, with a carrot puree and seasonal vegetables. The confit Duck leg was to die for, in fact I'm drooling thinking about it now!

Being of a greedy persuasion we both managed to squeeze in a pudding….. just. I went for a sticky toffee pudding which came served as a little tower with a ball of ice cream balancing on top like a turret. Appropriately it came with a moat of toffee sauce.

My wife went for a very pretty looking panna cotta which came with granita and sorbet. I am assured it was very refreshing and light!!

All in all we had a thoroughly enjoyable evening and, now we know where it is, we will definitely be returning to The Birch Tree in the near future.

I should add that The Birch Tree has recently won the Waitrose Good Food Guide recommendation for the whole of Scotland!!! This was voted for by their customers, high praise indeed and I can see why. Having seen their Facebook updates, Chef/Patron Barry Hartshorne is constantly updating the menu as the seasons change meaning there is always a reason to go back….. and we will!!

• Visited June 2014
3 Thank stevecampag

Tain, United Kingdom
“Lovely lunch”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

An excellent lunch celebration. Delicious wild mushroom soup, quail and creme brûlée, nicely served. Just as good a meal as last time!

• Visited August 2014
3 Thank Billtwice
Scotland
“Fantastic Meal”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Had a meal here last week with 2 friends. Food is absolutely fantastic - staff are very welcoming, friendly and attentive. Couldn't fault our visit at all. Setting and decor are lovely. One small thing I would mention is that chairs are very uncomfortable - maybe get cushions or upholstered chairs? But it wouldn't put me off going again.

• Visited July 2014
3 Thank mmmw
Nice, France
“Lovely evening”
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

I have just enjoyed a lovely evening at The Birch Tree with my family, and can honestly say it was a delight. This was our first visit, but we had heard recommendations from local people, always a good sign.
The restaurant is small, as most of the reviewers have pointed out, but the tables are well spread out, so you don't feel cramped or on top of each other. The chairs are a little hard though, and could have done with a cushion. But the decor is pleasant and relaxed.
To the food. The menu is small but balanced. The mushroom & Tarragon soup is sublime, I would go back for the soup alone. The other starters are lovely too and well presented, but if you do chose the pork terrine be careful with the mustard it has quite a kick.
All main courses are lovely and really well presented. Portion sizes are good - you don't feel overly stuffed.
The service is good, very relaxed and you don't feel rushed or pushed out the door.

Visited August 2014
“Perfect”
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

I have eaten here a few times before and have waited since last July to come back again so my visit was eagerly anticipated,was I disappointed ..not one bit..the meal was perfect..just simply perfect.i love this restaurant because not only is the food amazing but it's small,lovely decor and off the beaten track with a lovely view,the staff are so friendly and efficient....and I must mention the orange brûlée...simply heavenly.i can't wait to go back,won't be waiting a year to return. 10/10.

Visited July 2014