“Simply fresh seafood”

LochLeven Seafood Cafe
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Onich
Price range: US$7 - US$113
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: CLOSED FOR THE SEASON Back mid March 2018 Lochleven Seafood Café, Deli and Gift Shop is situated on the north shores of beautiful Loch Leven3 (on the B86 in North Ballachulish) on the west coast in the Highlands of Scotland. Allowing the sea loch and mountain views to take centre stage alongside our simple yet elegant seafood dishes, our café is designed modest and unamusing. Live shellfish for our family run Restaurant and Deli is kept in onsite seawater tanks where the water is pumped continuously from the cold clean sea-loch on our shore. After being caught locally by our own fishing boats, the shellfish is stored in these tanks. This allows our Chefs to access the freshest possible west coast seafood for the Restaurant and our Deli.
Reviewed 13 August 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our meal but if we return would chose a more simply cooked dish of just shellfish. Loved our starters but thought our mains of halibut and lemon sole were given flavours which rather over complicated the fish dish. Wish we had made a better choice as that was available - our mistake! Two lovely desserts though. Nice service. Very busy as Saturday evening and not a huge restaurant. They were turning people away so if weekend it may be best to book.

Reviewed 7 August 2012

While on holiday with friends and family we booked in for a special meal and where not disappointed. The service was superb when we arrived. We were asked if we would like sit outside and have a drink whie choosing from the menu. For starters I had the mussels in cider which was delicious. The main was one of the specials, sea bream, just superb. I can thoroughly recommend this wonderful wee place.

1  Thank Macca1964
Reviewed 7 August 2012

We had a leisurely lunch and enjoyed lots of wonderful, fresh seafood. We were travelling through the area from Inverness to Glasgow and made a point to stop here for lunch. What a great spot. It's small so I would make a reservation in advance so you're not disappointed - but wow. The clams were terrific, langoustines delicious, mussels delicious - and the olive oil from Spain - awesome. The best olive oil we had ever tasted - even brought some home. Then head to the little store for some Mackie's ice cream for the perfect end to a perfect meal.

Reviewed 6 August 2012

Our friends had visited this place and were dying to take us there and it didn't disappoint. It's a small, bustling contemporary restaurant with some fantastic metal sculptures of sea creatures on the wall. Every table was taken as we had thought and I am sure that you would need to reserve to get a table here.
The menu is as you would expect - all about gloriously fresh seafood (especially shellfish) and with the emphasis on the taste of that seafood so no heavy sauces masking the beauty of Scotland's briny larder. I had the `Grilled palourdes' which i haven;t had since I was in France and they didn't disappoint, served in a lip smackingly garlic butter. I actually opted to have two starters as the size of some of main courses (especially the seafood platter) was scarily large! The razor clams were done in a sort of Thai style consomme and were delicious although given the choice, I think I would have had these in garlic butter too! One of our party had the cold seafood platter and so I helped him out too - all the components; crab, langoustine, mussels were cooked to perfection.
Our Aussie waitress had actually served our friends the year before so she knew her stuff. She is quite brisk but vert friendly and efficient.
One of Scotland's best places to eat in my book.

Reviewed 6 August 2012

Been here a few times over the past year as its a great place to go for lunch. Me and my partner usually get a couple of dishes that we then share along with a salad. The scallops are beautifully cooked and have a great sauce which then also goes well with the roasted langoustines. Both dishes are fantastic.

Look forward to the day when I go back and order the hot seafood platter (would easily do 4 people and far too much for just the two of us).

Definitely worth a visit - and you can also see the live lobsters/crabs etc in the tanks just to the side.