“Dissapointed & turned away!”

Lochleven Seafood Cafe
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Onich
Price range: US$7 - US$124
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Lochleven Seafood Café, Deli and Gift Shop is situated on the north shores of beautiful Loch Leven (on the B86 in North Ballachulish) on the west coast in the Highlands of Scotland. Allowing the sea loch and mountain views to take centre stage alongside our simple yet elegant seafood dishes, our café is designed modest and unamusing. Live shellfish for our family run Restaurant and Deli is kept in onsite seawater tanks where the water is pumped continuously from the cold clean sea-loch on our shore. After being caught locally by our own fishing boats, the shellfish is stored in these tanks. This allows our Chefs to access the freshest possible west coast seafood for the Restaurant and our Deli. NEW for 2018 glass fronted Coffee Shop, Bar & Waiting are with stunning view.
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We was looking forward to experiencing a meal here to be turned away! I was in utter shock!
When we had finished a forestry walk near by we decided to go straight there, we had our dog with us so sitting outside was our best option. When I went inside I checked with a lady if dogs could sit near the outside table with us, if not I will leave him in the car etc... to be told sorry we cannot serve you outside? when I asked why as you clearly offer this option she mentioned the midges might get attracted. This is fine advise but it was our choice to make and we would of been happy sitting outside.

I think more that we was judged for wearing our hiking cloths...albeit very expensive hiking cloths. Never judge a book by its cover. interesting to see only 2 tables being dined at?!.

3  Thank L916
Write a ReviewReviews (1,253)

Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

We had the lunch special - the best fish cakes in the world. Ordered a rather large portion of scallops cooked to perfection, with some Spanish influences.

With some excellent wine, lunch was spectacular with an even more special view of Loch Leven.

Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

Driving past it was clear that would either be amazing or a disaster (tripadvisor had not been consulted prior). Was definitely the former. The dining room was packed, testament to their popularity given that was a Wednesday night and you had to drive to get there. The food was lovely, I had the blue cheese salad followed by the sweet potato Thai curry, which were both great. My companions (devoted carnivores) had oysters, sole and cod - and thought they were amazing.
So nice to find given that the other options were 'just edible' pub food or chip shop offerings down the road in the nearby Kinlochleven.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

My mother, sister, and I were looking for a place for a late lunch in the area and found this gem off the main road.

In such a rustic location we were surprised to find such a stylish restaurant. My sister and I ordered the lunch special which was a huge plate of mussels with a thai sauce and my mom ordered razorback clams (just because we never ate them).

The mussels were the best I have ever eaten, incredibly fresh. However we decided that the once was enough for the razorback clams... I don't know if it was the preparation or the dish itself. It was a Saturday lunch and there were many large family groups eating and celebratint together. It would be a great place for a special meal.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

meal for family of four, we drove there thanks to ratings on TA. Food was as expected - really outstanding and beautifully fresh. atmosphere pleasant. we were maybe unlucky in that we had patchy service from too many different staff members, and some were experienced and fast, whilst others were new and extremely slow/forgetful. would certainly go back and hope for better luck with service.