“Some hope for the future...”

The Lodge On The Loch
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Onich
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Stayed one night with 2 rooms despite poor reviews. Upgraded to the best rooms on arrival one being the Terracotta reviewed previously. Room cold on arrival. Was not going to eat there due to poor reviews but as it was late decided to. Big mistake, food is much below par compared to the rooms.(Breakfast good though) Staff did remove the cost of 2 meals and a chance to speak properly to the manager over a wee dram later made it clear they know there is much room for improvement. I might be back so please...
Find out when guests will arrive and warm up rooms before. Clean up the rubbish behind the Hotel that is visible from the upstairs rooms. Tell guests which dining room tables are the warm ones. Sort out the menu and make sure it properly reflects the area and something you can be proud of. Make sure everything that is supposed to be in the bedrooms really is and it works. Sort out the draughty lounge. Find out why tobacco smoke is drifting in to the hotel. I suspect it was from behind the kitchen. The basis of a very nice place to stay and I wouldn't let any of the above put me off coming back because I fully expect that these comments will be dealt with.

Room Tip: Loch view was good
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank mclacr

Reviewed 1 November 2013

My husband booked this hotel (without referring to Trip Advisor, big mistake). The hotel is very dated with a pink theme throughout the dining/bar area. First impressions being so important I could not wait to leave. I decided to check out the room (Terracotta Room???!!!!) only for the key to break in the lock. Paid for the room and left......whole experience took approx. 30 mins

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SKW71
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We got an ITISON deal and have just returned from a 2 night stay at this hotel. I paid an extra £20 each to upgrade to a "Deluxe" room! What a joke that was. No Bathrobes as advertised, plug hole in the sink was stuck, jacuzzi bath didn't work! The bathroom was freezing and although it did have a heated towel rail we couldn't find a switch to turn it on, then we found a random switch in the bedroom so we thought we would put it on and low and behold the towel rail heated up eventually. I couldn't comment on the staff as we never really seen much of them, except for the young girl on breakfast duty who was pleasant enough. Breakfast was ok, enough choice but on the first night we had dinner in the dining room, well I say dinner! I ordered the Sirloin steak and I can insure you that it was not a sirloin, it was full of fat, it was more like a Rib Eye, my husband ordered the Chicken Breasts and Haggis but it was more like Pigeon breast, the veg was ridiculous it was one small ( and I mean small) potato sliced to about the size of 10p pieces, a bit of broccoli and a bit of cauliflower. We ended up going along to another hotel the following evening for dinner and it was amazing in comparison. The best thing of all was the view, it was amazing. I know it was a cheaper deal we got, but people do pay full price to stay at this hotel. Needless to say we will not be returning.

Room Tip: don't choose room 18
1  Thank Elaine M
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Stayed two nights at the hotel courtesy of a voucher for £89. Paid £20 a night extra for an upgrade. We had room 11 called Local Hero. When we arrived, there was no heating on but it was fine when it warmed up. It's a nice big room and the seating area at the window has a spectacular view. The public areas were really quite cold. The log fire was on, on the last night, but it's still not what you'd call warm. The restaurant was also cold. Dinner on both nights was ok. Breakfast is very well presented but wasn't very hot. Despite this, I would stay here again if I got a good deal.... But probably only in the summer!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Went for one night only but it was a lovely break the hotel was fine the room was fine with a view of the loch breakfast was lovely staff were thin on the ground but when you found them they were most helpfull would definitely go back again one minus was the room decor it was a bit 70s

Room Tip: ask for a loch view
Reviewed 18 October 2013

After a false start where we turned up on the wrong day, we had a fantastic stay here. Leon, who is a perfect gentleman organised rooms for us at another hotel as he was fully booked on the day we arrived. Josh is a lovely guy, multi talented and made us smile, was really informative about places of interest to visit and made sure we had everything we needed (thanks for the compliment by the way). Many thanks to Pablo the very talented and artistic chef - there were 4 in our party and not a single complaint about any aspect of the food. David(?) the waiter on a couple of occasions was so attentive and very pleasant at all times. Our rooms overlooking the loch were beautiful, well decorated and very comfortable. We could not fault the hotel on any level and will definitely be back. Thank you and I will make sure to get the date right next time!

Room Tip: Any room overlooking the loch. We were in the Terracotta.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Based upon certain "trip advisor" reviews we arrived prepared to find alternative accommodation if necessary.
We booked via "Itison"and prepaid £49 for one nights B & B, with a + £20 club room upgrade due on departure.
A friendly reception from Josh was a reassuring start.
We were shown to our room ( #17, "comfort crusade") and were consequently further reassured that the booking was good to go.
The small bar was deficient one tap (ale), but still offered a reasonable wine, lager & whisky selection.
Dinner & wine was enjoyable & at a reasonable price.
A trio of young local Scottish musicians provided background music from the lounge area.
Great nights sleep
Fantastic panoramic views from room.
Shower was "warm enough".
Breakfast choice of eggs and salmon was enjoyable.

In summary, I have stayed in iconic Scottish inns at far greater cost and with a much more shabby feel. In fact, I saw no shabby interior decor.
The staff were all friendly and helpful.
I would gladly stay here again, as would my wife.

Room Tip: Can only advise ~17 a good choice
1  Thank KEITH S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Onich
Onich Hotel
#1 of 2 in Kentallen
Ballachulish Hotel
Ballachulish Hotel
#3 of 3 in Ballachulish

Been to The Lodge On The Loch? Share your experiences!