“Dreadful”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Onich
Redditch
“Dreadful”
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

What a disaster from beginning to end
such a shame on our last nights holiday in Scotland after 2 weeks of excellent accomodation
It was I'm sure a lovely hotel a long time ago but now in need of major TLC and a big clear up in gardens ( poo bags left in flower tubs and other rubbish- no flowers just weeds) and a review of cooking techniques after an awful meal

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Eljay56

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
Scottish Highlands, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

My husband and I recently held our Wedding Breakfast and Evening Reception at the Onich Hotel. From our first meeting with Maria we were both very impressed by her willingness to provide information and assistance to help us plan the day and night. Leading up to the wedding, nothing was too much bother for Maria and her staff, and her calm manner put us at ease that everything would be perfect on the day. We weren't disappointed, and the high level of professionalism that was shown throughout the afternoon and evening was second to none. The meal was delicious, and exactly as we asked for! The waiting and bar staff were courteous and friendly throughout and everyone felt very satisfied.

We stayed the night in one of the balcony rooms, which was very comfortable, with stunning views of the loch and hills. The breakfast was ample, with an excellent selection of both cooked and cold food.

We would like to thank Maria and the staff who helped make our day run so smoothly, and would recommend this establishment to anyone looking for a venue to hold their wedding!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Initially we went to a pub in Ballachulish approx 5 miles away , only to find loud-mouthed , drunken swearing .we did an about turn and headed to the next place on our list which was the Onich Hotel.
It was a bit busy , but we had expected this as it was a holiday weekend.

Food wonderful , drink good and views out of this world.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I stayed at the Onich Hotel over a weekend prior to a business visit to Inverness. I found the reception, restaurant and bar staff were very helpful. My room was pleasant enough and overlooked the loch from the second floor, I ate in the restaurant both evening and food was very good, as was the cooked breakfasts.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Paul B
MIDLANDS UK
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We had an excellent room in this hotel but we're beginning to realise that stairs seem to be getting steeper and doors with springs more of a challenge too.

Staff were keen to be helpful but there did seem to be a bit of a disconnect in the restaurant. The food is good but you may want to bring your knitting or a good book. We ate twice but only because the hotel is quite isolated from alternative restaurants - service was so slow we wouldn't usually have gone back again. As it happens the first night was perhaps not typical.

Overall this place falls into the good but tired category. It feels like it needs a "hotel tuner" or a bit of a shake to unblock the kitchen and shift the gunge from the water feature, and get the doors back on the shed and then..............etc

Room Tip: First floor loch views are probably best
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MIDLANDS-UK
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We stayed one night in the Onich Hotel on our way to Skye.
Our worst hotel experience in our Scottish trip.
From the receptionist who barely says hello to you, to the waiter at breakfast who forces you to pick up a table at the rear of the room because he doesn't want to set up a table with Loch view (which is the reason why you picked up the hotel...), we cannot say those guys are really welcoming...
The decoration of the whole hotel is totally tasteless.
The loch view is quite noce, but when you want to give a closer look to it, i.e walk on the (dirty) beach, it's way less nice...
So don't hesitate, if you can avoid the Onich Hotel, please do so...

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank B2FLEU

Travellers are raving about these Onich hotels

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

This is the third time I have stayed in this hotel and I love it for it's view, it's gardens and it's staff, although not necessarily in that order.

My husband and I stayed here again last weekend with a Living Social deal which we chose to upgrade to a balcony room and were so glad we did. The view from the decking and gardens is so gorgeous that it has to be seen to be believed but the view from our balcony room was just so much better. I have stayed here twice before and always craved one of the balcony rooms so this year we decided to go for one. It did not dissapoint in any way shape or form and our weekend away was just about as perfect as you could get.

Firstly, the staff. What can I say about them other than they go out of there way to be as friendly and as pleasing and as helpful as they can. If you have a question they will answer it and if they don't know the answer they will find out for you.

Secondly, the views. If you can afford one of the Superior Rooms then book one, the view is worth it. Having said that the view from the Lounge Bar, decking and gardens are gorgeous too, you just get a slightly better view from a balcony room and believe me nothing beats sitting on that balcony with either a glass of white in the evening or a cup of tea in the morning and just sitting listening to the birds sing and looking out at that view trying to spot the otter.

Thirdly, the meals. The meals have improved a lot in the year/ two years since we were here last. On the Friday night we went for the higher end part of the menu in that I had the sirloin steak which was cooked to perfection, just as I had asked for and I thourough enjoyed it. The only thing I would comment on was that there was no option of paying for a sauce to go with it, which would have been nice. My husband had the buterflied chicken which he thouroughly enjoyed and we both ended the meal with the Chocolate Brioche Bread and Butter Pudding with Creme Anglaise which was utterly gorgeous.

On the Saturday, having had a large lunch out we opted for the more traditional Fish and Chips. This again was gorgeous, the fish was so fresh that I had trouble keeping it on my fork to be honest. The only thing I took exception to was the faux newspaper that was put on the plate underneath the fish and chips. I understand it, I just didn't like it, but that was just my personal preference and in no way made the meal worse. I just could have lived without it is all.

Lastly, the rooms. Having a Balcony room made our weekend away perfect, but there are one or two things that I feel I must comment on. Firstly I will say that they in no way spoiled my holiday in any way shape or form but I thought that I should mention them so that the hotel knows about them.

1. Peeling Walpaper. Three rooms out of three and I have found peeling wallpaper in every room. Now if I didn't love your hotel so much that would put me off big time.

2. Gorgeous pictures in the room, but with thumb prints all over them. When someone is cleaning the rooms they need to wipe down the pictures too, or at least look at them and check.

3. Same goes for the balcony doors ours were extremely dirty, with a huge massive hand print in the middle of the one that opened. It would have been nice if the balcony doors had been cleaned before hand. Other than that our room was gorgeous and yes we will still come back.

Room Tip: If you can afford it book a balcony room. Well worth the extra.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank marilynw888
Also consider these accommodations in or near Onich
RiverBeds Luxury Wee Lodges
Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre
Glencoe House
Glencoe House
#1 of 1 in Glencoe Village

Been to Onich Hotel? Share your experiences!