“Never again!!”

Erskine Bridge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Erskine
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I hope that you read this review, because I would not want you to have as terrible experience as my friends and I had over the Easter weekend. The hotel was not only tired but should be knocked down and something built in its place. I could not believe the paint schemes, blancmange pink on our floor, when the one working lift door opened I wanted to cry. The faulty lift we discovered had been out of order for at least two weeks. We had no hot water for the first day and when my husband tried to phone reception, yes you've guessed, the phone didn't work. The mattress had lost its bounce and my friend was on pain killers all the next day. I was awake all night on the Friday, the lift resembled the noise of a dentist drill and the doors slammed so fast banging every time that someone used it.The bar resembled a 1950's working mans club and even though the staff tried their best, this tired and run down excuse for a hotel could have totally ruined our short break. Thank god for the sunshine and good friends. I love Glasgow, when we ordered a taxi back from Glasgow centre (£20-00 each way) the taxi driver couldn't stop laughing and was telling us other terrible tales he had heard off passengers staying here.
If we hadn't laughed we would have cried, we could not afford to leave and lose our money, we had saved up since Christmas, but if it were free we would never stay in this hotel again.

4  Thank Jayne_19561962
erskinegm, Front Office Manager at Erskine Bridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Erskine Bridge Hotel and Spa. I am sorry to find that your stay with us did not meet your expectations.
During your stay one of our lifts was out of order while our maintenance company was waiting for parts to repair it, but both lifts are now operational. We unfortunately were also experiencing issues with our hot water & heating system during the same period, but this issue has also now been resolved. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience these issues must have caused you.
We are carrying out a programme of remedial repairs & improvements to the hotel, but unfortunately not all areas have been completed yet.

Front of House Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,418)

Reviewed 21 April 2014

I knew this hotel had 3 stars but so has the commonly known budget hotels and they are palaces in comparison to this hotel. What a disappointment. We had booked in for 2 nights as we were there for a family occasion and I could not wait to leave. I had booked 2 rooms. One was tolerable and the other was so old and dated and not pleasant. I was going to complain immediately but my family didn't want any fuss. The bath mat was covered in mould. The place is falling apart. Heaters are hanging of walls and carpets torn. The public toilets were disgusting and you could tell were not cleaned on a regular basis. We ended up only having breakfast on the 1st morning of our stay as it was so bad it put us off going back. They were so understaffed. We waited until we were just about to leave before we were finally given the hot drinks that we ordered. It was a self service breakfast buffet and very unhygienic. The breakfast cereals were lying spilt out of bowls and the choice of hot food was limited as the food took forever to be replenished. Food was lying out of the hot trays and the place just a mess it was awful. I felt sorry for the staff and could not complain to them as I would definitely say it's an overall management problem with the whole hotel. There was only 1 lift working and it took ages for it to arrive. There was no sign of any stairs. Our room on the 6th floor was near the lift and what a noise it would make in the early hours when people were using it so we didn't get a good nights sleep. I would never use this hotel again.

Room Tip: If you do stay at the hotel then ask for a room away from the lift
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Caz2868
erskinegm, Front Office Manager at Erskine Bridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Thank you for the review of your stay at the Erskine Bridge Hotel and Spa. I am very disappointed to learn that your experience and our service fell short of your expectations.
I understand that your family did not want to complain as they did not want to make a fuss, but please be assured that had you raised these issues with us while you were staying in the hotel, we would have done our best to rectify them. We are carrying out a program of repairs & improvements within the hotel, but unfortunately not all rooms have yet been completed. The problems you experienced at breakfast have been investigated & steps have been taken to ensure that the same situation does not occur again.
During your stay, one of our lifts was out of service while our maintenance company were waiting for the parts to repair it being delivered. Both lifts are now operational, but please accept my apologies for the inconvenience this must have caused you.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We have now stayed at this Hotel 5 times over the past few years, and each time we stay it gets worse. Only one lift working yet again !!!!
"Room 206", the mattress is very poor , (i'm by no means a large person) the worst 2 nights sleep I have had at any hotel, It was mentioned to the housekeeper the following morning, who promised to sort it straight away, nothing was changed even after complaining a second time!!!
Waitress was extremely rude on the second morning, she walked away from the table before I had even ordered, I had to call after her, when she did arrive with tea and coffee she placed it on the far side of the table out of reach, I had to get out of my chair to get it .....very poor service !!!!!!
The hotel in general is fairly pleasant, in a good location, rooms need updating as do some of the staff !!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 52vjb2014

I am sorry to hear that you found your stay with us disappointing & that our service did not meet your expectations.
During your stay, one of our lifts was out of service while we waited for our lift maintenance company to receive the parts necessary to repair it. Our lifts are now both fully operation, but please accept my apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused.
Our housekeeping team did place 2 additional mattress protectors onto your bed to try to improve the comfort of it as we were unable to supply a new mattress within your stay, please accept my apologies that this did not prove adequate. Where possible we would normally offer a room move in this situation, but as we had a full house we were unable to offer this. I will investigate the issues you had at breafast with the relevant team members, please accept my apologies that you did not receive our usual high standard of service on this occasion.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We booked this hotel via Glasgow Great Deal voucher. The voucher included bed and breakfast for 2 people, 20% off dinner and 20% off spa treatments. The voucher did only cost £49.00 per room.
When we arrived at the hotel we felt we had gone back in time. The building is old and tired and the reception area is tired. We checked in to our rooms which were next door to each other on the 6th floor. One of the lifts was out of order therefore the one functional lift was always in use and very noisy.

On arriving on the 6th floor, the walls are orange.....coral orange and red tartan carpets! Very old and tired and blindingly bright! Our first room was ok however we could not access the second room as the door bracket had broken and we had to call for maintenance to come fix this. This issue was fixed very quickly and we entered our rooms.

The rooms were ok, bedding was clean and bathroom was clean. We had bathrobes but they were like cardboard. The windows, sockets and lights are all very old. The TV only has 5 channels....didn't think this was possible now a days!

We went to the restaurant for dinner we only had a main course each and the food was ok nothing special. But we had a 40 minute wait for it. The staff and the attitude of all staff we talked to was very rude and poor. We were not asked through out the meal if we enjoyed the meal, did we need more drinks and we were not given the bill. We walked out and went back to our rooms for the night.

The hotel was very busy and there was a wedding, tour bus and boys football team staying.

On Sunday morning, we went to reception and asked for a coffee as the room facilities were poor and there wasn't a spoon. We were told to go to the restaurant. On entering the restaurant we were told if we are not coming in for breakfast we would have to wait for our coffee in the reception area. The lady was very rude.

We went down for breakfast at 10.15am and breakfast finished at 10.30am. When we entered the restaurant the same lady told us we were late for breakfast and to go to the buffet straight away as they will be clearing in and she would make us a table. We felt very rushed through breakfast and the staff were clearing around us.

After this we decided to check out....after waiting for the lift for 10 minutes we reached the reception desk. Check out was 11am and there was only 1 person on the desk. I felt this was strange as it was very busy. We asked to pay the bill and we were instructed it was £31.20 per room. When I asked to see the bill it only stated...dinner. There was no description or mention of the 20% off. I asked the lady to find the docket so I could check it. This took 10 minutes and by this time the queue was nearly out the door. We got our 20% off and left.

I understand we only paid £49.00 per room but the staff were rude and lack enthusiasm. Politeness and manners cost nothing! I work in the hotel industry and was shocked at the level of service and the standard of the hotel.

1  Thank Susan E

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Erskine Bridge Hotel and Spa. I am sorry to find that your stay with us was disappointing & I would like to address some of your points.
At the time of your stay, one of our lifts was out of service while we waited for parts to repair the door mechanism. This lift is now in full working order, but please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused by it being out of use while you were here.
With regards to the bathrobes that you received as part of your voucher, we have these delivered freshly laundered from an external company on a regular basis. We will investigate the quality of these with our supplier.
We are replacing the older style TVs as part of a wider programme of improvements in the hotel, but have unfortunately not been able to replace all of them at this time.
The longer wait than usual for your main meal was due to the item you chose being cooked to order from fresh. Our chefs normally begin to cook this while our guests are having a starter, but as you did not have one you would have had a longer wait, however this should have been explained at the time you placed your order.
In the morning when you came down for coffee, you should have been offered a seat in reception & your coffee brought to you, so please accept my apologies that this did not happen.
When you later came down for breakfast, there should have been a full selection available, though in reduced quantities as the buffet was about to close. We try to avoid unnecessary food wastage at the hotel, so do not cook off large quantities of food close to the close of the buffet, but are happy to cook items to order if a guest wishes to have something that has run out.
I am sorry to hear that your restaurant bill was not correctly discounted at the time you ate as this can be time consuming to correct as we must find the original receipt for an itemised bill.
We normally receive very positive feedback about our staff, so we will investigate with the relevant teams what went wrong during your stay.
I will also pass on all of your comments to the relevant departments and ensure all points are actioned upon. I do hope you will consider us again in the future and allow us the opportunity to change your opinion of our hotel.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

Let's begin with the fact they say they are a convention hotel. 1) Six floors, at least 3 tour groups and one working elevator. 2) No phone in the room. 3) No hot Shower but hot water in the sink. 4) Rude bartenders. My drink was not made correctly and when I politely inquired about it, I was told in no uncertain terms that it was made according to the directions and there was nothing he would do to correct it. 5) Several rooms on the 5th floor looked like someone had tried breaking into them and they had padlocks on them. Only word to describe it---seedy! Please make another choice for safety and comfort.

3  Thank Tish G
erskinegm, Front Office Manager at Erskine Bridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2014

Thank you for the review of your stay at the Erskine Bridge Hotel and Spa. I am very disappointed to learn that your experience and our service fell short of your expectations, please contact me directly at the hotel so I can discuss this further with you personally.

Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

Pretty dreadful place. One of those awful 60s/70s concrete buildings built on iron stilts, the concrete now looks rotten dirty and decayed. Inside its slightly better, although always too hot in the place. Corridors to the room reminded me of the shining, red with tartan carpets. Was expecting a wee boy on a trike to pedal by any minute!

Room itself was old and dilapidated, torn curtains, ancient telly, scabby windows, filthy blankets. We slept between the two sheets on the bed, which were thankfully clean! To think this used to be a Forte brand hotel. Time to blow it up and start again I think. But then some might say what do you expect for £40 a night. On a positive note the staff were all generally nice, they deserve a better building to work in than this!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank parssupporter

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Erskine Bridge Hotel and Spa. I am sorry to find that your stay with us was disappointing and for that please accept my apology. We are currently carrying out a program of remedial repairs & upgrades to our rooms but unfortunately not all rooms have been completed. I do hope you will consider us again in the future and allow us the opportunity to change your opinion of our hotel.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we do hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

We stayed here a part of a Parking and Hotel deal through Holiday Extras. £70 for two weeks parking at a local secure car park and overnight accommodation here. Guessing that the car park cost a good £50 so this hotel only cost £20ish for two adults. For that we weren't expecting much but honestly this place is really nice. Ok its a bit shabby in places and the Scottish theme throughout is a bit touristy but the hotel is great in all the areas where it counts most. Ample parking, Very friendly and helpful staff, clean rooms and communal areas, fantastic fish and chips from the restaurant in the evening and efficient check in and check out procedure. It has a pool and health club as well but we didn't use it due to an early flight but it looked lovely. I would definitely stay here if flying from Glasgow again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the bridge and river. Bonny view at night.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank scotmccall

Thank you for your kind review of our hotel. All of our staff strive to provide exceptional service & such positive feedback is always welcomed!

Front of House Manager.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Erskine
Normandy Hotel
West Park Hotel
#2 of 2 in Clydebank
Travelodge Glasgow Braehead
Golden Jubilee Conference Hotel

Been to Erskine Bridge Hotel? Share your experiences!