“Overpriced food”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Erskine
Carnoustie, United Kingdom
“Overpriced food”
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Booked an overnight stay with car parking. Breakfast wasn't included as we were leaving early. We arrived the night before, the room was lovely and clean. There was a wedding on in the hotel and when we went down it the bar felt a bit underdressed so decided we would take our food back up to our room. The menu was pricey but we decided on a gourmet fish finger sandwich. When I ordered this I was asked 'white or brown bread' I commented that it was advertised as served on sourdough, I asked for one without tarter sauce. The meals were brought over to our table a frozen fillet of fish served on white sliced bread with frozen chips, hardly gourmet!! Cutlery and a couple of sachets of sauce.. When I questioned this the barmaid didn't even appear to know what sourdough bread was, I asked her to find out the problem to which she went and returned by saying it had run out. Took the food up to our room to discover no tarter sauce on either or in the sachets. Would stay there again as the parking is fine and the taxi efficient but next time I will pack a picnic

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank mags6305

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
  • Polish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Hotel is an absolute joke. You can not even get through on the phone to speak to them. Immediately get put to an answerphone every single time you call which asks you to leave a message as reception is on a call.
Can they be on the phone for 8 hrs constantly for 2 days running.
Surprised they get any business whatsoever.
Management needs a complete overhaul!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank DCR88

Travellers are raving about these Erskine hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We stayed here for two nights to go to a family wedding nearby, we are completely unfamiliar with the area, had read some online reviews and thought 'How bad can it be?'

The answer is 'pretty bad'.

The lifts - for most of our stay only one was working. Trying to get upstairs while TWO coach loads of tourists were also trying to do the same thing was virtually impossible. I had to wait for over ten minutes. I nearly gave up and used the stairs but I am quite heavily pregnant and didn't fancy going up four floors on foot.

The decor - Oh my, garish doesn't even cover it! Our floor (3) was a delightful shade of 'brothel red' - hideous and really quite nauseating. There are some LOVELY tartan carpets too, in complementary shades.

The room - we arrived at our room door and immediately noticed a good 5mm gap around the doorframe through which, if you tried hard enough, you could see right into the room. The room itself was small, and the wallpaper was stained in places (a rather ominous brown, coffee or something more sinister?). All of the lampshades had stains like watermarks around them. The curtains were easily older than me (I'm 32), didn't close properly and were peppered with holes. Our tv was ancient, took ages to warm up and only had five channels. There was no sign whatsoever of the 'free internet' promised in the welcome pack. On the first night in this room I got approximately 45 minutes sleep in total because of the incredibly uncomfortable bed, the mattress was more like a slab with a bunch of broken slinky coils nailed to it, which dug into my sore pregnant back all night. The pillows were probably luxurious in 1987, but have now been reduced to stained, tired, pancake-flat cushions, with barely any support. They were hard as nails and hurt your neck and shoulders. The duvet was barely even a sheet. We were across from the lifts (well, lift) and the sound of it slowly and pathetically clanking up and down permeated our room all night long. By 4am I wanted to scream, or jump into the nearby river, the only thing that kept me from doing either was composing this tripadvisor review in my head.

The breakfast - ASDA pork links anyone? If flaccid bacon and watery scrambled eggs are your bag then you can happily part with £8 and enjoy them too. There were two 'juices' on offer: watered down apple and 'orange' - which was about 50% sugar, 5% fruit. Oh and tinned fruit. No expense spared.

Our final bill, including breakfasts, was over £100 a night. A HUNDRED POUNDS! You'd get better value in an IBIS or Travelodge. I have never been so glad to go home after a trip. I'll hold my pillows just that little bit closer tonight.

Room Tip: stay away from the lifts!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank MissGembles
Midlands
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Outside looked like an old office block but reception area was OK. Strange décor on the bedroom floor - looked like painted brick - but clean. There were 2 lifts but one was out of order and the other very slow. Bedroom looked like the inside of an old office block but the bathroom was newly fitted out and very clean. Shower was over the bath and the temperature varied on its own. Bathmat was either dirty or mouldy so didn't use it. Bathroom door was old and only shut when pushed very hard. Lighting in bathroom was good. Nice towels.
No coat hangers for trousers (none with either a bar or clips). Television was ancient (pre flat screen) and it was difficult to read a score watching the world cup game.
Bed linen and curtains were tired and curtains a bit grimy. Lino-type floor from the carpet to the bathroom was slippery.
Food was terrible - the choice was pork ( which 2 people told me they thought had been boiled as it was so hard), white fish - no description of the type, or penne. I had the penne but it's the only time I've had it with carrots and (I think) turnips with boiled potatoes in skins! The penne was in a small dish so I guess it had been microwaved for one! Breakfast was OK
Good view over Clyde

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dunfermline
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Stayed May 20th 2014

We booked this hotel as we were traveling on an early flight from Glasgow as they offered airport parking plus transfers.

When we arrived to check in the main foyer and bar looked clean and modern. Check in was swift and easy enough. When we got into the lift to head to our room that is when the good part of the review stops.

Lifts are very noisy and the door opened and closed several times before finally going to our floor. The colour of the floor where our room was pretty horrendous but that was nothing compared to when we actually got in our room.

The wallpaper was peeling off the wall in parts, torn in other areas and also stained in several places. The bathroom was dirty, tiles not cleaned and a stain in the bath itself. The carpet in the room was stained but at least hovered. However the bed itself took the biscuit, the sheets were stained, the mattress was so old all you could feel was the springs digging into your back when you lay on it and there was a hollow in the middle, so much so that when my fiancé and myself were lying at night we both kept rolling into the middle of the bed.

Whilst I was parking the care into the airport car park my fiancé went to reception and asked to see another room. She wanted to know if we could pay more for a better room and was told all the rooms were the same but if she wanted to look at another room that was free she could do so. My fiancé did look at the other room but it was in a worst state than the one we were currently in so we stayed put.

Transfer to the airport and back was well organised and I could not fault that.

If it were not so late and having got the parking for the airport included we would have moved hotels.

Room Tip: Change hotels
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gary D
Scotland
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We stayed in this Hotel and used the car parking facility prior to a Florida holiday.
I've got to say that whilst the Hotel itself may be a bit dated, the staff certainly make up for it. We got a lovely welcome when booking in, and at our evening meal, the waitress couldn't have been more friendly.
We arranged at check in for our hotel taxi to take us to the Airport, but on the morning of departure contacted reception to move our time forward, and this was done without a problem. On our return trip, it took only 5 minutes for the taxi to turn up to get us back to the Hotel to collect our car - first class service.
Our room, like the Hotel itself was a bit dated, but had everything required and was clean and tidy.This did not detract from our stay, and we had a lovely view out of our bedroom up the Clyde.
In conclusion, for what we paid for the room and 2 weeks parking we were certainly not disappointed. The Hotel managers should be proud of their staff as they were really the highlight of our short visit - we will use this facility in the future.

Room Tip: We had a nice view toward Glasgow.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank plastic orange
Hebburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

We booked this hotel for the night as we were using the parking with the flying Scotsman. Very good deal. But the room itself was a bit dated. There was a big chunk of carpet missing from the floor but it was all clean. It's ok for one night of your flying the next day. Food was ok from restaurant.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Erskine
Normandy Hotel
Travelodge Glasgow Airport
Ingliston Country Club
Ingliston Country Club
#2 of 3 in Bishopton

Been to Erskine Bridge Hotel? Share your experiences!