“Christmas stay”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Auldgirth
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
“Christmas stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

We are at the Friars Carse for the 4th Christmas in a row. I'm not normally one for writing reviews but following our Boxing Day evening meal I feel compelled to write!
Our experience year after year has got better and better.
Christmas dinner was excellent and we have just finished a 7 course "banquet" which was exceptional. All locally sourced produce which was cooked to perfection.
Compliments to the chef and all of the staff who have made the whole experience so memorable.
We have booked already for next Christmas even though we don't check out till tomorrow.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank Andrew7890

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
ayrshire scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

we came here for a short break before christmas, my sister travelled from yorkshire and I came from ayrshire, we had a really lovely time, staff were lovely, food was really good and hotel and surrounding grounds were great. Only one small point make sure you bring plenty of warm clothes with you, heating was on but I felt the room a bit chilly, and I normally don't feel the cold, but otherwise I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank annette295
Bristol, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed this lovely old monastery (hence Friars in the name), though Dumfries the nearest town, very disappointing. Super walks nearby and delightful scenery over the Solway Firth. We had a great room with a large bay window. Wouldn't be too clever in the middle of winter with single glazed windows but was fine in the autumn sunshine. Food very good so thankfully didn't need to find additional restaurants in Dumfries. My wife did chose wrong on one evening meal but the rest was good.

Fish weren't running at all, so the fishermen were telling us, so if it's fishing you're going for, phone first before paying £50+ for a days license. It's the American crayfish which are eating all the eggs etc and killing everything in the water.

Approach with care. The turning is not well signposted, is on a fast road (A76) and is on the brow of a hill, so it can take you by surprise. It did me ,much to the annoyance of the idiot behind who was driving too close.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms were facing inside the courtyard area but all rooms were named, not numbered so it...
4 Thank horsleygc
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

First let me say that the very negative reviews on this hotel are at the very least mischievous and suspicious.The hotel is charming,staff are professional and attentive.,food delicious and plenty of it..We have just stayed for 3 nights and cannot wait to return..we met anglers who have been coming here for 20 years plus !A special mention to Will and the two Alessandros who cannot do more to help you enjoy your stay.Well done everyone...see you soon and keep up the good work !

Room Tip: family rooms available on request
7 Thank BornagainDen
Market Rasen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

We stayed for one night enroute to a dog show and we loved it. Arrived to a warm welcome and the room was a good size. Decor and furnishing a little tired but all felt in-keeping with the age and style of the building. Staff could not be more helpful and our dog was made welcome too - allowed in bedroom, lounge and bar area, plus lovely walks along the river and through the fields.

We had an evening meal which was good but not stunning - I found the menu choices quite limited and my filet steak was nice but the accompaniments were unimaginative for the price charged. Likewise, breakfast was good but not great - expensive for what you get but served nicely and in perfect surroundings if you like to relax and enjoy some peace and quiet.

There was a wedding taking place while we were there and it does feel that the wedding party took over really but we did not really mind this. There was music quite late into the night which did not bother us but if it has been summer and we were sitting outside I think it would have been a pain.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay and it was fair value for money. It is nice to find a decent hotel that allows pets as well. We would definitely return without hesitation despite a few niggles as it was great overall.

3 Thank CJW0963
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

I stayed up the Friars Carse after a friend's wedding.
Needless to say, I arrived at the coo's tail and looking like a dug's breakfast. Staff were most helpful and brought an iron and ironing board to my room sharpish, ensuring that I was at least ironed and dressed before the bride arrived.
The hotel really punts itself as a wedding venue and everything about the day ticked like clockwork. The hotel is small enough that a wedding party can effectively take over the whole place and intimidate any other guests who are not invited to the celebrations.
The setting is lovely, with the River Nith meandering through the grounds, inviting both swimmers and anglers to have a go if they think they're hard enough.
The reception rooms in the hotel are charming and atmospheric, though somewhat spoiled by 'artworks' from charity shops. Management could massively improve the décor with a trip to the Barras and a budget of £50.
The bedrooms are all named after trees. The 'Sycamore' room was nice and faced out the back. Quiet. Furnished and decorated in forgettable fashion. Guests are provided with two wee sachets of instant coffee. During my stay I asked for some more and was given another one. My gratitude gushed, though may have lost something in translation. As you would expect in a Scottish Country House Hotel, the staff are all Eastern European (mostly Polish).
The wedding catering was faultless and food was delicious. I think my bed was comfortable, but I was so drunk I could have slept in a bush!! Breakfast was okay, though the bacon was a tad salty, even for my Glasgow palate. At £11 for a Full Scottish, I suspect they may have been having a laugh.
All in all a beautiful location and quite charming venue.
Great place for a wedding or a dirty weekend.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank RodfaeGlesga
Carlisle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

This is an ideal setting for a romantic break, with stunning grounds to walk around and seating outside next to the river. You can then move inside and relax on the sofas in front of a roaring fire. The rooms are really beautiful with stunning views. Would visit again and again and are currently looking at booking for a weekend break.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank smudger0506
Also consider these accommodations in or near Auldgirth
Trigony House Hotel
Hetland Hall Hotel
#7 of 8 in Dumfries
Premier Inn Dumfries Hotel
Buccleuch & Queensberry Hotel

Been to Friars Carse Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!