“Long wait for dinner”

Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Waited over 30 minutes for dinner after ordering we had to ask the waiter how much longer it would be. He was apologetic and food was out quickly after enquiring. Portions were a bit on the small side although food was delicious.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

I'm vegetarian so I can't comment on the rest of the food just to qualify my comments. However the choice is very poor and we did ask if the chef could do something off the menu. We asked the waiter if it was possible to do something with Halloumi cheese and he went to ask chef. We were thinking salad or something like that would be nice. The waiter came back and asked if we would like any side dishes and we asked what the chef was doing with the Halloumi so we could decide. The waiter said he didn't have a clue, but a couple had asked for the same thing last week. At this point I was thinking ... Could you ask the chef? It was a bit strange so I asked if he could ask the chef if it was appropriate to have skiing fries with it.

What we got was battered Halloumi with chips so thank god we didn't get fries with it too! I quite liked the battered Halloumi and the 'mushy peas' but the 'chips' were awful. My partner hated the Halloumi and his comment was where are the vegetables. I have to agree as a vegetarian I love vegetables and don't want to have a 'faux' meat eaters meal.

The waiter was less than helpful and I was really surprised. I'd stayed at the same hotel about 6 weeks before and he and the rest of the staff had been really attentive.

Unfortunately I won't be back

Reviewed 24 April 2014

I ate here one evening with a group of friends when we were walking the West Highland Way. The restaurant area looks quite upmarket, and the food is a bit pricey, but portions are on the small side and there was only one vegetarian main course option. On the plus side, the bar stocks a good selection of local beers, but on the minus side, the service was poor, and slow. I'm not sure whether this was due to poorly trained staff, or that at least one of the serving staff in the restaurant had a poor command of English. By the time that it came to pay (and they even seemed to make this more difficult than it needed to be), we weren't minded to leave any tip. Those of my friends who were also staying at the hotel said that service at breakfast the following morning was equally poor (better to stay at Stance Cottage next door).

Reviewed 13 April 2014

I had fish and chips for tea, right amount and tasty. Bar staff less helpful in relation to questions about the bus to Glencoe, they weren't that friendly to be honest. Receptionist helped me out. WiFi and newspapers available. Christmas songs on repeat too.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Stayed here for two nights with dinner included. First night I had the haggis Bon bons with a lovely whiskey sauce, they were really nice, lots of good quality haggis inside and the sauce went perfectly. Very nicely presented too. My boyfriend had the lentil soup which was also really nice. For main I had the venison which was cooked perfectly , and was accompanied by haggis turnip and on top of some lovely cabbage. On the second night I had a lovely Scottish baked salmon fillet with baked baby potatoes, wilted spinach and butter sauce, also lovely. My boyfriend had the fish and chips which was enormous and very tasty. He had dark chocolate brownie and I had sticky toffee pudding , both lovely and a generous portion. I drank the Pinot Grigio £16.00 and the Pierre mignon champagne was beautiful £34.00 for the bottle but lasted us two nights (courtesy of my lovely boss) staff were all very attentive and we were well looked after. Really enjoyable and no complaints at all. Couldn't fault them. We also had breakfast, I had the west highlander which was all cooked and presented beautifully, and all good quality ingredients, with lovely fresh soft toast on the table and lovely table wear. Really good standards compared to some b&bs.